• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How long does the Redskins stick with Haskins before going to Allen?

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Redskins acquired QB Kyle Allen from the Panthers in exchange for a fifth-round pick.
Allen links back up with coach Ron Rivera in D.C. after playing for him in Carolina the past couple seasons. The 24-year-old was Pro Football Focus' worst quarterback by a wide margin among 38 qualifiers across 12 starts last season, finishing No. 33 in QB rating. Allen completed 62% of his passes at 6.8 yards per attempt with a 17:16 TD:INT ratio to go with 13 fumbles and 46 sacks taken. Carolina no longer needed him after signing P.J. Walker. The Skins will slide Allen in as Dwayne Haskins' backup for the time being.

Kyle Allen said he expects to compete for the Redskins' starting job.
"I think the expectation is to come in and compete for the job," was Allen's exact quote. "I think that's an awesome opportunity." It's an easy sentiment to mock, but it is also the mindset Allen and all backup quarterbacks must possess. Coming off an extremely rocky rookie year, Dwayne Haskins will be under center Week 1, but it is possible Allen could be on speed dial early in the year. Allen did not have the looks of a future starter in 2019, instead appearing to be a head-above-water No. 2. That has value.

Riverboat Ron brings him over as cheap insurance, but i believe he likes him over Haskins. (Filmwise anyways) I think Haskins will be on a short leash. In fact the spot Haskins was drafted would be the only reason he gets to start week #1. (unless he substantially gets better this offseason) Pressure from the brass will be to start Haskins.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Haskins gets half the season at least since they invested a first round pick on him. But he had a pretty lackluster rookie season IMO and might well bust.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much would that suck for Haskins? He got drafted in the first round by a team who's coach wanted nothing to do with him then the team gets another coach in his 2nd season who acquires a QB he may be more inclined to play thanks to more familiarity.

I don't think Allen is a threat to take Haskins job, but if he does, ya gotta feel bad for him. Haskins isn't necessarily a bad QB, but he seems to have landed in a bad situation.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much would that suck for Haskins? He got drafted in the first round by a team who's coach wanted nothing to do with him then the team gets another coach in his 2nd season who acquires a QB he may be more inclined to play thanks to more familiarity.

I don't think Allen is a threat to take Haskins job, but if he does, ya gotta feel bad for him. Haskins isn't necessarily a bad QB, but he seems to have landed in a bad situation.
Could be worse. You could have gone the way of Rosen's career.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivera is a good coach, but he is a defensive minded coach. I think a lot of Haskins' future depends on whether nepotism hire Scott Turner, the son of Norv, develops Haskins well. Turner is the offensive coordinator in DC now.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be worse. You could have gone the way of Rosen's career.

I was thinking of Rosen while typing my post and thought about mentioning him, but the situations aren't really the same. Rosen was just a bad QB that his franchise gave up on after year 1 when they realized there was a better QB they could draft.

The Redskins won't be giving up on Haskins for another year or two at least, unless he tanks out like Rosen did. Even then he has made it to year 2 which is farther than Rosen could.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking of Rosen while typing my post and thought about mentioning him, but the situations aren't really the same. Rosen was just a bad QB that his franchise gave up on after year 1 when they realized there was a better QB they could draft.

The Redskins won't be giving up on Haskins for another year or two at least, unless he tanks out like Rosen did. Even then he has made it to year 2 which is farther than Rosen could.
the thing with Rosen was he was never given a chance to fight for his job the next year.
New HC & drafted a QB #1 pick.
His career was doomed from the start. (much like Haskins)

Thing is I believe Jay Gruden does know QBs. So if he didnt like him, I tend to believe there is a good reason for it.

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivera didn't draft Haskins, won't ruin his reputation to trade him away. IMO, he'll give him 8 games, if they're 2-6, a change may be in order. Haskins hasn't played enough to draw conclusions yet.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the Redskins. Allen, Haskins and Keenum are all going to get multiple games at QB.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet you he will make at least 1 start next season.

I’ll bet you Keenum will not get any starts for the skins next season. Haskins has the starting position locked up unless there is no training camp

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slated to go 0-4 against the NFC West, hasn't had a winning record against the AFC since 2002(and playing the tough AFC North where they will at least lose two games, and three if they don't beat Cleveland), and probably won't win in Detroit. 7 losses at least right there. Then there's the division, where they aren't likely to sweep anyone or even split with all three. It's going to be another bad year.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slated to go 0-4 against the NFC West, hasn't had a winning record against the AFC since 2002(and playing the tough AFC North where they will at least lose two games, and three if they don't beat Cleveland), and probably won't win in Detroit. 7 losses at least right there. Then there's the division, where they aren't likely to sweep anyone or even split with all three. It's going to be another bad year.

Well, I was kind of excited when I saw the notification of you commenting on this. I was expecting reading in circles about Haskins and Allen. Instead it’s off topic circles. C’mon man tell us how long the skins stick with Haskins

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the thing with Rosen was he was never given a chance to fight for his job the next year.
New HC & drafted a QB #1 pick.
His career was doomed from the start. (much like Haskins)

Thing is I believe Jay Gruden does know QBs. So if he didnt like him, I tend to believe there is a good reason for it.
Yeah that's my take as well. Gruden was a moron in so many ways but the knock that he didn't get him ready because he never liked the pick was completely unfair. It's fine for the HC to not like the pick, many football people didn't like the pick. Haskins by a number of different reports just wasn't working hard enough to earn the job so he didn't get it.

Now the work habit thing appears to be changing but with no OTAs a guy who struggled to learn offenses (1 year starter in college no doubt contributed) will be at a big disadvantage when camp finally starts. I can see it now, the locals will again say he got screwed if he does not win the job when it is his job to lose.