• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Woman who led the charge on Redskins' patent case turns her attention to Chiefs

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody needs attention, I guess. Only 1 is a slur.

ram29jackson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like fools,they finally gave in for nothing because the NCAA is an idiotic organization.
The Native Americans Who Voted for ?The Fighting Sioux? - The Daily Beast

1403775925663.cached.jpg

The University of North Dakota was forced by the NCAA to change its nickname, but unlike the Washington Redskins today, a tribe wanted to keep it.
There is a lot of pressure on the owner of the Washington Redskins, Dan Snyder, to change the name of his National Football League franchise to something that isn’t considered a racial slur. Last week, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office said the Redskins name and logo should not have trademark protection. Snyder has steadfastly refused to even consider a name change. It is a good thing for Snyder that he has an NFL franchise and is not running a college athletic program. The chances are Snyder would have had to rebranded the athletic program by now.

The NFL has not taken the road that the National Collegiate Athletic Association traveled in 2005. The college sports governing body came down hard on schools who used what it thought were slurs against Native Americans and American Indians.
In August 2005, the NCAA decided that 19 schools had names or mascots that were “hostile or abusive” and that the offensive names, logos and mascots had to be gone by February 1, 2006 or the schools would face sanctions that included not being able to host postseason championship events in all sports and the barring of the use of the team name and logos during postseason tournaments. Additionally, colleges could choose to not schedule games against schools with names, logos and mascots deemed offensive to Native Americans. The schools were given a choice change the name and the associated logos or go to local Native American or Indian tribes and see if you can get approval to continue using names and logos and mascots.
Florida State’s use of Seminoles as a nickname was no problem and the Seminole tribe told the school to go ahead and use it. But there was a serious concern in North Dakota. The University of North Dakota sued the NCAA claiming the school’s athletic nickname, The Fighting Sioux, was not offensive.
But there is some question as to whether North Dakota’s two Sioux tribes gave approval to the university in 1969 to change the school’s nickname from the Sioux to the Fighting Sioux. It seems both tribes supported the name change in religious ceremonies.
By 2008, the NCAA and the University of North Dakota settled the lawsuit with the school, agreeing to retire The Fighting Sioux name unless it received approval from both the Standing Rock and Spirit Lake Sioux tribes by the end of 2010. The university got half a loaf: Spirit Lake affirmed the name in a two-to-one vote, but Standing Rock (which had for years demanded that the name be banished to history books) said no. A non-Sioux nation in the state, Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa Indians, also said no.
In 2011, the North Dakota Board of Higher Education decided to get rid of the nickname and logo after the NCAA proposed sanctions against the school.
It would seem that the Washington and North Dakota situations are similar but according to Peter Johnson, the executive associate vice president for the University (of North Dakota) relations, they’re quite different.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
People actually spend their days working on stuff like this. People in the NCAA actually got up in the morning, had some meetings and sent a letter to North Dakota about all this stuff.

Some Lawyers are actually going to make the case that the government should be able to arbitrarily revoke the Redskins' trademark rights. They're going to go over arguments & call witnesses & show polls & stuff like that.

These might just be the most useless human beings on planet earth.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The name Blackhorse offends me .It should be changed to AfricanAmericanhorse .

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In reality this PC bullshit has gone too far.In no way should one small group of people represent and entire race .

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well,......America was named after a Florentine dewd who figured out what Columbus didn't. (To sail East to get to Asia, you gotta go South first.).

Columbus did go south first. Where he landed was south of Spain by a long shot. Looks to be around the same parallel as India would have been (of course, their judgment is different if they didn't know it was a circular globe (not just round one way or oval).

Blog: Chirstopher Columbus

What I never got is why he thought it was India and still claimed it? (If he indeed claimed it for Spain. If it were India, he'd be on the wrong side of India (but still easier than around Africa). If they could claim India, why not claim more other trade areas instead/in addition?

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how she would respond if someone kept asking her how she could make a real impact on Native Americans. When she gives her answer, ask the same exact question until she gets it. Afterwards, ask her what her next project would be if all names were removed from sports. I don't want to get into stereotypical issues/problems of Natives, but go fix those whether that be education, employment, lifestyle if any, legal, health, etc.

Well to be fair there isn't very many full bloods left. We are talking less than 500,000 full blooded, perhaps even fewer than that. The three largest tribes in this country make up just under 750,000 people and mind you they do not require you to be full blooded to be a tribe member. This is a race that will soon be extinct. It lives on in some of us like me and my family but of course it's assimilated into many different lines and thus is the way of our species. Imagine if you told black people today that in 500 years they will soon be no more. How would they feel?

In reality this PC bullshit has gone too far.In no way should one small group of people represent and entire race .

It has and we know who has brought it upon us. The liberal left.

I know, it's gotten out of hand.

See above post.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are The Joint Chiefs of Staff still safe? Chief Executive Officers? Getting Cleveland to get rid of Chief Wahoo Id understand, (not the name Indians though, as they were named after a player on the team, who was an Indian.) he looks like a dumbfuck. But going after the Chefs is ridiculous. (Great Googlly Mooglly)

Commander in Chief = Obama = Offensive. j/k - kind of

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's just simplify things & in the process guarantee that we don't offend even one person. Within the next few years ban the name of any team that represents any group of people - no more Redskins, Chiefs, Indians, Cowboys, Vikings, Packers, Patriots, Raiders, Saints, etc, etc

The only names allowed will be for animals or other non-human entities (e.g. Lightning). Makes as much sense as some of the other nonsense being spewed at this time. I also have no doubt that Ms. Blackhorse is a major attention whore.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think we should drop the offensive part of the name washington redskins

i think the team should be simply called the redskins

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I get it! Sure, and while they're at it Baltimore can change their name to the Slums.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Do you think you are somehow hurting my feelings taking shots at Baltimore City? Hell...I'll join in if you like.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She will go after bow and arrows sold in the us after she is done.