• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A letter to Redskins fans Monday night

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to real careful in wording this response, because there are a couple of things that are happening that are polar opposites with regards to Mr. Snyder's' offering. The first is remarkable in its' bold intent to do something inspired by the controversy surrounding the team name. Charity, no matter how it is inspired....is a great thing, it once was tightly interwoven in the fabric of this country but now seems frayed in its' application for various reasons. I applaud Mr. Snyder for his efforts to study, understand and create new initiatives that help those who cannot help themselves. Oddly, his letter addressed to Washington football nation, was stocked with references to "Native Americans" instead of "by staying true to our history and honoring the deep and enduring values our name represents." using the name in question. The letter can be found here.

Daniel Snyder announces foundation to help Native American tribes

Last edited by a moderator:

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep - I also received that letter. I also agree with you about the charity aspect (that is why I sometimes get upset when someone rags on some wealthy person giving a lot to charity by stating that it means little to them or that it is a write-off - so what!).

In the end I believe that the health and well being of the Native Americans is more important than the name especially when it is yet to be proven that any large # of Native Americans are offended by the name. This appears to be more of a cause for the mediots who are trying to make a name for themselves (especially that annoying troll Bob Costas).

As I have stated before - if they change the name so be it. I would possibly agree to the change if it was accompanied by the condition that every media person who made a big deal out of this was fired on the spot.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oneida Indian Nation responds to new Redskins foundation | ProFootballTalk

Reaction from the Oneida nation - whatever. This is a perfect example of some windbag who really could care less about anything more than himself. He brushes off Snyder's attempts to help Native Americans & attempts to portray him in the same light as George Preston Marshall. Please. What a POS!

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oneida Indian Nation responds to new Redskins foundation | ProFootballTalk

Reaction from the Oneida nation - whatever. This is a perfect example of some windbag who really could care less about anything more than himself. He brushes off Snyder's attempts to help Native Americans & attempts to portray him in the same light as George Preston Marshall. Please. What a POS!

I sincerely doubt that there was any notion to brush off a "good effort" approach by Mr. Snyder. Throwing money at an issue doesn't make it go away.......putting it away, makes it go away. The more recent display of that is Rappers getting paid to randomly use n***er.

Here's where your last point fails.......Let's say that YOU were raised to believe and support the position that (for example) ALL women were whores, although YOU now have created a means for women to benefit from this historical degradation, you continue to refer to them as whores because you are another link in a long chain of like minded people. ( Marshall called them R..........., Snyder calls them R..........) The link remains.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sincerely doubt that there was any notion to brush off a "good effort" approach by Mr. Snyder. Throwing money at an issue doesn't make it go away.......putting it away, makes it go away. The more recent display of that is Rappers getting paid to randomly use n***er.

Here's where your last point fails.......Let's say that YOU were raised to believe and support the position that (for example) ALL women were whores, although YOU now have created a means for women to benefit from this historical degradation, you continue to refer to them as whores because you are another link in a long chain of like minded people. ( Marshall called them R..........., Snyder calls them R..........) The link remains.

no one names a team for something he hates period . i dont believe the name is racist and i believe it is a money grab .

if we change the name i will find another team just as i did when the bullets dropped their name in the quest for PC ness

address the real issue with the indian nations and stop with the look good then be good BS

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you Dad. The only way I can forgive it...Congress forces the Redskins to do it. I already hate them.

Who will you go to Dad?

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A real reach on your part & again I have stated numerous times that I will live with it if they change the name. You just sound like yet another person who exaggerates this to a major degree. Please - show me a poll or study - just one - that show where a large # of Native Americans have an issue with the name (not some stupid guy on TV like Bob Costas). Waiting.

The examples that you site are ones where the name has conclusively been shown as offensive - not quite the case with the name Redskins (if that were remotely true the name would have been stripped many, many years ago). I see no way that say a WNBA team could be called the Whores. There are also several examples of Native American schools who use the name Redskins.

However - again not my point. My point is that this so-called Native American leader has an agenda (and possibly $$ in his back pocket & a chance to be on TV) that have nothing to do with the name. If he were truly concerned he would laud Snyder's recent efforts if for no other reason in that it benefits Native Americans.

Oh well - go ahead and join in with the mediots on this stupid cause.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no one names a team for something he hates period . i dont believe the name is racist and i believe it is a money grab .

if we change the name i will find another team just as i did when the bullets dropped their name in the quest for PC ness

address the real issue with the indian nations and stop with the look good then be good BS

First, Dan Snyder did not name this team he is just maintaining a name inherited from an avowed racist who chose it from popular lexicon in an era that too many want to put behind us.........................(Hold on for a sec. I'm trying to stop laughing at their generosity).....................OK, I'm good now!!

I'm disappointed that you feel obligated to "find another team" when the name is changed. Obviously, your own history means little to you and the history of others not like you even less (PC ness). "Strength in Honor" merely a slogan.........with blinders on, but that's all OK too!!! I wish you well and will definitely be rooting against any team you connect with when my home team is opposite them.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, Dan Snyder did not name this team he is just maintaining a name inherited from an avowed racist who chose it from popular lexicon in an era that too many want to put behind us.........................(Hold on for a sec. I'm trying to stop laughing at their generosity).....................OK, I'm good now!!

I'm disappointed that you feel obligated to "find another team" when the name is changed. Obviously, your own history means little to you and the history of others not like you even less (PC ness). "Strength in Honor" merely a slogan.........with blinders on, but that's all OK too!!! I wish you well and will definitely be rooting against any team you connect with when my home team is opposite them.

oh boy here we go again . when you change the name the history goes with it . the titans arent the oilers and their history is erased

marshall was a racist . he hated blacks , indians not so much he was raised in that era .

i dont go for the home area stuff robert e lee did and he was totally on the wrong side of history

strength and honor are not merely slogans stymie , . you can talk to me about blinders all you want but this is a drummed up controversy being forced fed down our throats by the minority of the people allegedly affected by it . i have paid my dues on the battle field many times over and i have the right to feel and speak out on any issue i feel needed and to disagree with them . you and others have been told why and how the name came about but reject it . so be it i will not allow a small minority to dictate to me how i should feel and what is right or wrong in THEIR eyes

hitler did that stuff. you wish to jump on the left wing mediots bandwagon then do so the minority has rights for sure but they dont get to dictate to the majority as fascist did

my only recourse to show my displeasure with those attitudes is to with hold my loyalty to such entities

changing the skins name to ANY other PC name erases the hogs , riggo , jurgy , baugh and the rest to no mans land . all that goes the way of the oilers and bullets

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh boy here we go again . when you change the name the history goes with it . the titans arent the oilers and their history is erased

marshall was a racist . he hated blacks , indians not so much he was raised in that era .

i dont go for the home area stuff robert e lee did and he was totally on the wrong side of history

strength and honor are not merely slogans stymie , . you can talk to me about blinders all you want but this is a drummed up controversy being forced fed down our throats by the minority of the people allegedly affected by it . i have paid my dues on the battle field many times over and i have the right to feel and speak out on any issue i feel needed and to disagree with them . you and others have been told why and how the name came about but reject it . so be it i will not allow a small minority to dictate to me how i should feel and what is right or wrong in THEIR eyes

hitler did that stuff. you wish to jump on the left wing mediots bandwagon then do so the minority has rights for sure but they dont get to dictate to the majority as fascist did

my only recourse to show my displeasure with those attitudes is to with hold my loyalty to such entities

changing the skins name to ANY other PC name erases the hogs , riggo , jurgy , baugh and the rest to no mans land . all that goes the way of the oilers and bullets

You are entitled to your opinion, and I'll respect it. So if in your view a name change erases history then to you that's the way it is.

If your throat feel a bit crammed it is of your own doing. I too have paid my dues in battle ('Nam 1971-72) and will defend the right of anyone who challenges you to speak out on an issue ( although you claim this is a drummed up one) Did you forget that I am a product of a Native mom and AA father? No one had to tell me that the name is disparaging. History is a great teacher, maybe it's you who's been told how the name was attached to this team.

"Left wing mediots??? I hold no loyalty to either party here, I claimed my independence in 1973. You know it's funny......when a disagreement turns to Hitler references, it is a sure sign that the person making that reference is bereft of substantive argument and now intends to deflect away from the core disagreement.

I support you right to exercise your displeasure by selecting another team, when the name change occurs. I'll miss exchanging story lines, trials and tribulations associated with this team with you and others who decide to go as well.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edit is limited to 5 mins........my response should read....."I'll stand in opposition to anyone who challenges you to speak out on an issue." sorry about that.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look up the history of the word "Redskin" at places other than Wikipedia.

Look up the reason Marshall named this team the Redskins.

Neither is racist.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry but if the name gets changed the History and Tradition goes down the toilet

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look up the history of the word "Redskin" at places other than Wikipedia.

Look up the reason Marshall named this team the Redskins.

Neither is racist.

I hope that you're not referring to that charlatan, Dietz (long ago debunked) story!!!

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry but if the name gets changed the History and Tradition goes down the toilet

Maybe Mr. Snyder will take those Superbowl trophies and donate them to a Native American museum citing..."Our history is no more........time for new beginnings."

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all any one needs to know is that our name is in honor the native americans and 90% of native americans dont find it offensive.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically Dan has done what the poor Native Americans wanted all along. Give up a little of the green. the whole name thing was never about hurt feelings or some one feeling oppressed by a racist name which was likely never directed towards them. It was all about some one figuring they could make a profit off this. I give Dan credit for getting ahead of this and putting it in the Natives court. If they take the money, they should make like the Florida State Seminole tribe and just shut up already. And so far there are no indications these deeply hurt natives are going to refuse the funds Dan will provide.

As i said a few months back... its all about the dollars.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically Dan has done what the poor Native Americans wanted all along. Give up a little of the green. the whole name thing was never about hurt feelings or some one feeling oppressed by a racist name which was likely never directed towards them. It was all about some one figuring they could make a profit off this. I give Dan credit for getting ahead of this and putting it in the Natives court. If they take the money, they should make like the Florida State Seminole tribe and just shut up already. And so far there are no indications these deeply hurt natives are going to refuse the funds Dan will provide.

As i said a few months back... its all about the dollars.

By now you all should be aware that this is not so for me and my family, I have posted and reposted my position on this and will no longer do so. I will leave you with this thought, The name WILL be changed, no matter how you stand on the subject. It's just a matter of time, and that time grows short.

To those who cannot support the inevitable change, good-luck to you with whichever team you choose to affiliate. To those who will continue to support the team despite the inevitable change, let's go win some Superbowls!!!!!

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on Sty... if this really had nothing to do with money and every thing to do with morals and doing the right thing... EVERY Native American Leader would have been lined up to throw this in Snyders face saying.. we dont want your money. We just want you to change the racist name. But not a one has come out to say, we dont want your money or charity, we just want you to change the name. Apparently morals do have a price. Maybe not for you. But I would have expected alot more Native American Leaders to come out in outrage over this.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on Sty... if this really had nothing to do with money and every thing to do with morals and doing the right thing... EVERY Native American Leader would have been lined up to throw this in Snyders face saying.. we dont want your money. We just want you to change the racist name. But not a one has come out to say, we dont want your money or charity, we just want you to change the name. Apparently morals do have a price. Maybe not for you. But I would have expected alot more Native American Leaders to come out in outrage over this.

Fair points all, however, as you've mentioned on another topic, "You can be one of the smartest people on the planet and not be a Leader. In fact some of the best Leaders of men I have ever known, I mean true leaders, never graduated HS. And yet these men were true leaders. You cant teach the kind of leadership Im talking about. It cant be bestowed upon you because of your draft position, rank, or political title."........hits the mark exactly, taking advantage of a once in multiple generations offering does not indicate what true feelings there are, just the smarts not to say so.