• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Unbelievable: FCC to consider banning to the name Redskins

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
have any of these names been associated as a racial slur?

As a Texan I would actually find it a slur to call me anything else. Call me an Okie and you will be swallowing teeth :happy:

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somewhere out there is a topic, name, idea, or something that you don't even know you are supposed to be offended by. When the anti-Redskins groups get what they want here they will move on to the next thing that you didn't know offended you until they told you were offended.

Native Americans are a minority in U.S. and Canada. Of that minority only a minority of NA's are upset by the name. It just seems like a lot of wasted energy and time battling a topic that no one cared about until we were told to care about it. If individuals and special interest groups want to fight this that is fine. They pay their own dime. It bugs me that Senators and Congressmen feel the need to weigh in now that's it politically expedient to do so and waste the governments time on this when we've got Russia saber rattling in Eastern Europe, ISIS beheading women and children across Syria and Iraq and getting stronger, and the Ebola virus now in North America. Just seems like there might be far larger priorities to deal with.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somewhere out there is a topic, name, idea, or something that you don't even know you are supposed to be offended by. When the anti-Redskins groups get what they want here they will move on to the next thing that you didn't know offended you until they told you were offended.

Native Americans are a minority in U.S. and Canada. Of that minority only a minority of NA's are upset by the name. It just seems like a lot of wasted energy and time battling a topic that no one cared about until we were told to care about it. If individuals and special interest groups want to fight this that is fine. They pay their own dime. It bugs me that Senators and Congressmen feel the need to weigh in now that's it politically expedient to do so and waste the governments time on this when we've got Russia saber rattling in Eastern Europe, ISIS beheading women and children across Syria and Iraq and getting stronger, and the Ebola virus now in North America. Just seems like there might be far larger priorities to deal with.

Not to mention Obama saluting with a coffee cup in his hand!!!!!

:suds:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah! Why is the FCC not handling ISIS and Ebola already!?!

This has nothing to do with Senators and Congressmen, btw. Nor has the government taken any action at all on the petition here.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah! Why is the FCC not handling ISIS and Ebola already!?!

This has nothing to do with Senators and Congressmen, btw. Nor has the government taken any action at all on the petition here.

Well, the FCC is just bowing to pressure from elected officials and special interest groups.

Actually Maria Cantwell, Democratic Senator from Washington state is the ring leader for this. She and 49 other Senators so far have spent time on this.

'Racial Slur': 50 Senators Urge NFL To Change Washington Redskins' Name

Hbomb

Mobile Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,923.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, the Daily show can be funny. But often times they do just what Jon Stewart claimed they don't do at the beginning of this video. They take things out of context and skew facts. I've noticed this is particularly true when they cover anything sports related.

For instance, the group of native american protesters in this video claim that the term Redskin comes from "proof of Indian kill". How they know this for a fact when the actual origins of the term are highly debatable is beyond me. There is evidence that the term originated from Native Americans themselves.

Also, they asked the Redskins fans if they were native american and what percentage if they were. I noticed they didn't ask the to the group of protesters even though half of them looked more white than anything.

Also got a good laugh out of the protesters saying "We are not mascots". Sorry, but yes you are. Damn near every ethnic group has been used as a mascot at some point. You're not special. If they get to say "We aren't mascots" then I guess nobody can use the Vikings, Fighting Irish, Texans, Celtics, Saxons, Canucks, Yankees, Gaels, Aztecs, Scots etc.

:agree: I enjoy the Daily Show but they do skew data to lean left. There are many Native Americans that are against "changers" that are attempting to remove the name Redskins.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: I enjoy the Daily Show but they do skew data to lean left. There are many Native Americans that are against "changers" that are attempting to remove the name Redskins.

They skew towards FUNNY!

If you had to guess, what percentage of Native American's (say at least 25% NA blood, not the 1/16th in that DS video), would like to see the name changed/would like to see it stay/don't care.

I'm guessing its somewhere around 35%/5%/60%. I have no numbers here, but just my perception.

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, dark speculation indeed. If only there were a way. . . oh, wait.

The guy bringing the petition is a public interest attorney and law professor named John Banzaf.

Sounds like he's in it for the money. . .

Not unlike calling a shithouse a "comfort station."

Hbomb

Mobile Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,923.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They skew towards FUNNY!

If you had to guess, what percentage of Native American's (say at least 25% NA blood, not the 1/16th in that DS video), would like to see the name changed/would like to see it stay/don't care.

I'm guessing its somewhere around 35%/5%/60%. I have no numbers here, but just my perception.

Absolutely skew funny. :lol:

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a petition to the FCC not to renew the broadcast license for the team's radio station on the basis that it is "offensive and derogatory". The only ones that stand to make or lose money are the radio station and the team. The law school professor filing the petition will get nothing but publicity. Source.

And ^THIS^ is like saying a vampire will get nothing but blood. :laugh3:

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This story has been going on for years.

I still can't bring myself to give a shit either way.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They skew towards FUNNY!

There are a few polls you can find showing about 80% think the name is fine, 11% think its offensive, and the rest don't care. But they are from the general public. If you are talking about polling just NA's then one poll suggests 90% of Native Americans aren't offended by the name, however some people doubt the validity of that poll (of course).

Roger Goodell Claims 9 out of 10 Native Americans Support Redskins Nickname | Bleacher Report

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They skew towards FUNNY!

This would be my guess as well.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally wouldn't care about a name change for my team, as long as they put out a NFL team and somewhat competitive

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:wtf:

Last edited by a moderator:

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at Home Depot to check my color match to see if I actually have red skin. Next to me was the Chinese guy checking for his match for yellow. In walks Sheamus for the white check. :L

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one cares or would do anything about it if we were......
If I were the owner, I would abolish the whole American Indian heritage and name them the Washington Interns and change the uniform to a blue dress with a cigar on the helmet and see if they liked that better.....:pound:
That's a good one, you crusty old bastid :suds:

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They skew towards FUNNY!

Stewart is very funny.....when his show is off the air.

Seriously, this little runt has been playing leftist demagogues for dupes for a looong time and his audience just stuffs their hands in their pants and chuckles along.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea how he does it... but somehow Jon Stewart manages to knock it out of the park every f*cking time. :clap:
I'm glad you think he's funny. He seems like a pompous asshole to me.