• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Discussion 2016

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious........

Remember a couple years back, when MLB instituted video reviews on certain plays? The majority of fans were ecstatic, putting lotion on one hand and declaring that baseball was saved and that most all problems were now solved. Here we are in 2016 and there is a crescendo of jeers aimed at the failure of the review system. Appears all the bitching about bad umpire calls is slowly shifting to bad calls from "those guys in NY" and the lack of laser beams from overhead satellites.
Just a thought for those people screaming for some GPS system being used for calling balls and strikes and laser beams being used to detect feet touching a bag. Could it be that the grand old game just works better controlled by a flawed system that does not use electronics....just old men in blue? Alas...each new generation thinks they know more than the last.

Are you listening, @Omar382

"Heed my words - or all your shoes will run yellow with piss." smittitonious 1064 AD

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A fringe Major Leaguer doing that ... not helping his case to stay in the Bigs.

What a dip shit.

More of these youngsters and their fucking feelings.

"they booed me and hurt my feelings, so fuck them!"

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious........

Remember a couple years back, when MLB instituted video reviews on certain plays? The majority of fans were ecstatic, putting lotion on one hand and declaring that baseball was saved and that most all problems were now solved. Here we are in 2016 and there is a crescendo of jeers aimed at the failure of the review system. Appears all the bitching about bad umpire calls is slowly shifting to bad calls from "those guys in NY" and the lack of laser beams from overhead satellites.
Just a thought for those people screaming for some GPS system being used for calling balls and strikes and laser beams being used to detect feet touch a bag. Could it be that the grand old game just works better controlled by a flawed system that does not use electronics....just old men in blue? Alas...each new generation thinks they know more than the last.

Are you listening, @Omar382

"Heed my words - or all your shoes will run yellow with piss." smittitonious 1064 AD

I think I've got a foot in both the new and old schools, and I am strongly against having lasers or whatever call balls and strikes.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool.

If I win, it'll be pretty painless.

If you win, you can give me whatever fucked up shit you can come up with and, provided it won't get me banned, I'll wear it happily and proudly.

Twins top pitching prospect Jose "La Máquina" Berrios will make his debut tomorrow. This kid is electric, sort of insurance for when the other shoe falls on Ricky Nolasco. Also Milone and Gibson are and should be in thin ice as well.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I can not get through to Omar....but has anyone come up with a system that incorporates the change in equipment players have used over the years, when evaluating numbers of any kind?

I am old enough to remember playing with gloves that had no real pocket like they have today. One hand catches were something special, not common like today. How a 1920 shortstop could stop a ground ball was more "hockey goalie" than glove work. Catchers mitts....they looked like a pillow on your parents' couch, not a padded first baseman's glove. How can stats from the 20's and 30's and even the 40's and 50's be compared? Seems a true apple and oranges thing to me. I know the manufacture of bats have changed.....how has that affected hitting....and of course the "soft ball era". I do suppose that modern stats are good for comparing things over the last 25 some years, but I would thing some form of ''reworking the math" would be needed going back into the 70's.

@Omar 382 .....do you know anything about the physical part of the game? Gloves, bats, balls, uniforms, running the bases. Or how infields were tended too before the last few decades? Astroturf? How about the total disdain for the stolen bases in the 50s....or the changes in the height of the pitching mound? Is their a theorem or algorithm for all that stuff? What about bulky wool uniforms? Is there a stat that reflects wearing those?

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twins top pitching prospect Jose "La Máquina" Berrios will make his debut tomorrow. This kid is electric, sort of insurance for when the other shoe falls on Ricky Nolasco. Also Milone and Gibson are and should be in thin ice as well.

Is he forsure starting tomorrow? I was thinking about going to game. Gonna make that a reality if he's throwing.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excusez-moi - my last post was not meant for this thread. I was wondering what happened to it.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like that's what might be happening then.

I'm just speaking from a logic stand point. For all we know Terry Ryan may have him play SS. He's got brains similar to Dougs.

We need Berrios and Duffey in this rotation though.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has the fanbase realized that was the worst FA signing in history yet?

Awfully small sample and one start was vs the Twins, but wasn't Kennedy pitching pretty fucking good so far this year?