• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Discussion 2016

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you're missing the point. It's like the classic science vs. religion debate- statistical measurements and playing the game compliment each other. It's not beer or tacos. It's beer AND tacos

No....maybe I did not express myself well. It is a building on a foundation type of thing. I am confused how someone could develop a great liking of baseball statistics without first playing the game. EX: I never played much soccer as a youngster (we often called it kickball)....so I have no interest in soccer-related statistics. (Are there such things). I think you misunderstood my view of modern stats. I don't delve deeply into them, but I see their use. I just have not kicked the old stats "to the curb".

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not stupid enough to ever give you the opportunity to know... unlike he was.
And yet you told us about being a UM grad, ex-Marine, multi-business owner, having a Brazilian wife, etc, etc

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No....maybe I did not express myself well. It is a building on a foundation type of thing. I am confused how someone could develop a great liking of baseball statistics without first playing the game. EX: I never played much soccer as a youngster (we often called it kickball)....so I have no interest in soccer-related statistics. (Are there such things). I think you misunderstood my view of modern stats. I don't delve deeply into them, but I see their use. I just have not kicked the old stats "to the curb".
I'm confused. You say you don't understand the "great liking of statistics" yet you also say you use "old stats" in evaluating players. It sounds like your problem isn't with statistics; rather, only saber metric statistics. I also think you're incorrectly detaching stats from love of the game. This couldn't be further from the truth. Knowing probabilities, such as when to bunt, when to bring your best reliever into the game, when to intentionally walk a player, where to put players with high OBP's in the lineup, where to put players with power into the lineup, when to pull a starting pitcher, etc. are all things that foster love for the game. It makes one a smarter baseball player. This is where "playing" as you call it, and using statistics come together beautifully. I'm all for taking 500 swings off a tee everyday in the winter. I'm all for practicing double cuts, all for learning pitching mechanics, top hand, pickoff plays, etc. You can't be too heavy on either. Imagine being a sharp-shooter and going out into the woods, but without a gun. You won't kill anything. Now imagine having a gun, but no prior practice in hunting or any basic information on how to shoot a gun. Again, you won't kill anything. Where scoresheets and stop watches combine into one is when a player, and a team, can truly play to their best potential.

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers blow 7 run lead to yankees today. I blame assmuss. Split squad but still. We expect better from this 2016 tiger team. Numbers say they have to be the favorite. Numbers talkingniffy...not me. Just saying

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh was coaching 1st base today.that guy can do it all. A real michigan man

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm confused. You say you don't understand the "great liking of statistics" yet you also say you use "old stats" in evaluating players. It sounds like your problem isn't with statistics; rather, only saber metric statistics. I also think you're incorrectly detaching stats from love of the game. This couldn't be further from the truth. Knowing probabilities, such as when to bunt, when to bring your best reliever into the game, when to intentionally walk a player, where to put players with high OBP's in the lineup, where to put players with power into the lineup, when to pull a starting pitcher, etc. are all things that foster love for the game. It makes one a smarter baseball player. This is where "playing" as you call it, and using statistics come together beautifully. I'm all for taking 500 swings off a tee everyday in the winter. I'm all for practicing double cuts, all for learning pitching mechanics, top hand, pickoff plays, etc. You can't be too heavy on either. Imagine being a sharp-shooter and going out into the woods, but without a gun. You won't kill anything. Now imagine having a gun, but no prior practice in hunting or any basic information on how to shoot a gun. Again, you won't kill anything. Where scoresheets and stop watches combine into one is when a player, and a team, can truly play to their best potential.

Sorry omar. We are not connecting. You are saying statistics make you a smarter player. In my view you have this 100% totally backwards. You play the game FIRST. You are talking about managing a game or being a general manager of a fantasy team. I am talking about putting your feet on a baseball field! Being the PLAYER. Your focus is WATCHING the game and messing with the mathematical possibilities that arise from that PLAYING.

Maybe I cannot connect here. My fault. Is there no desire to watch Jose Iglesias move up the middle and take a ground ball, flip it backhand to the second basemen to start a double play? Just for the beauty? If not, then there must be no interest to go out on the field and try to duplicate it yourself. Or to hit a ball breaking away from you. Or sliding around a tag? Damn....to be 16 again and have the reflexes to get out on a diamond and field ground balls, move under a pop up. Stats would not cross my mind. Omar....get an old glove and put your face in it, take a deep breath...that's baseball....not WAR.

Sorry....old man is getting nostalgic.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh was coaching 1st base today.that guy can do it all. A real michigan man

Vice....make this noise stop. The dumbing down of America does not need to be thrown in our faces.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers blow 7 run lead to yankees today. I blame assmuss. Split squad but still. We expect better from this 2016 tiger team. Numbers say they have to be the favorite. Numbers talkingniffy...not me. Just saying
Was Ausmus even there?

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assmuss is the fault every time. To bad jimbo can't manage both teams. Coaching wolverines to a national title will take all his time

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iffy. Vice is really in your head. You can't post with out talking about him. He OWNS you

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Handi. Always talking that homo stuff. Texian soccer boy 4 shore

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. Let's not talk about that over rated Perez. They spent 5 pages about how over rated he is