• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Discussion 2016

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a Little Leaguer mentions WAR, I assume he tortures animals.
Yes. What a travesty it would be for a young boy to take an interest in something and pursue an interest in math and baseball. That kid is what's wrong with our society

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. What a travesty it would be for a young boy to take an interest in something and pursue an interest in math and baseball. That kid is what's wrong with our society
Future serial killers, you can see it in there two definitions of a win havin' eyes.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What in the bloody fuck.....

LOL. I understand your feelings. broncosmitty, think of the ''new'' stats as those fancy electric power tools you see but probably would never use (and can't afford?). Accept that they can do their job....but be fully aware that the old hammer, screwdriver, pliers, and vice-grips will still get the job done. I usually prefer those old tools myself.
(I worry about the onset of algorithms, linear equations, logarithms, etc into baseball....ain't natural. I fear the bespectacled man, with a calculator, a notebook full of mathematics notations, sitting on the sidelines dictating the next move a team should make. No longer will it me the athletic ballplayer that is the key factor in the game, but a nerdy little guy on the bench with a laptop. yuck)

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. I understand your feelings. broncosmitty, think of the ''new'' stats as those fancy electric power tools you see but probably would never use (and can't afford?). Accept that they can do their job....but be fully aware that the old hammer, screwdriver, pliers, and vice-grips will still get the job done. I usually prefer those old tools myself.
(I worry about the onset of algorithms, linear equations, logarithms, etc into baseball....ain't natural. I fear the bespectacled man, with a calculator, a notebook full of mathematics notations, sitting on the sidelines dictating the next move a team should make. No longer will it me the athletic ballplayer that is the key factor in the game, but a nerdy little guy on the bench with a laptop. yuck)
And that's the way it should be. Traditional statistics aren't like hammers; they're like scissors when you're trying to chop wood

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kids don't play baseball as much as they use too....but I think I will go catch one of the high school games. (Season starts early in AZ). I am going to ask some kids if they figure out their BABIP after each game or if the team figures out their WAR for them? I am sure their iphones should have an app that will do that for them.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's the way it should be. Traditional statistics aren't like hammers; they're like scissors when you're trying to chop wood

omar...that is another point. The elitist attitude that the sabermetric community is endorsing for their followers. Sorry son....baseball is to be PLAYED! It is not a source of mathematical probabilities.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
down goes maybin ouch:suds:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use a lazer level quite a bit. But level is level. And then I don't have chalk on my hands.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
omar...that is another point. The elitist attitude that the sabermetric community is endorsing for their followers. Sorry son....baseball is to be PLAYED! It is not a source of mathematical probabilities.

Ideas/theories evolve, including those regarding baseball analysis. I can fully understand a baseball fan who doesn't want his experience of the game changed by more in depth records of the game's events, even if I can't relate.

However, painting guys who are into new stats as nerds who wear glasses and carry calculators to the ballpark is no better than painting guys who love batting average as window-licking retards.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kids don't play baseball as much as they use too....but I think I will go catch one of the high school games. (Season starts early in AZ). I am going to ask some kids if they figure out their BABIP after each game or if the team figures out their WAR for them? I am sure their iphones should have an app that will do that for them.
I didn't even give the kids on my team their BA, OBP, runs and RBI last year.

They all were aware of their W/L % though. It was brutal.

(We don't officially start practice until the 9th here. We'll be inside for weeks anyway. Had one outdoor practice before our first game last year.)

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what they said about evolution.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ideas/theories evolve, including those regarding baseball analysis. I can fully understand a baseball fan who doesn't want his experience of the game changed by more in depth records of the game's events, even if I can't relate.

However, painting guys who are into new stats as nerds who wear glasses and carry calculators to the ballpark is no better than painting guys who love batting average as window-licking retards.

My analogy was was not warranted, granted. I guess that I am just voicing my fear that baseball is becoming more and more a game of WATCHING and less of playing. I understand that I will take hits on this....but Fantasy Baseball is NOT baseball.....and I just am starting to feel that the Fantasy end of the game is over-powering the real thing. Perhaps it is just the whine of an older person seeing his youthful endeavors slide away.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what they said about evolution.

You don't seem to understand that baseball is a game played by people - that actually has NO need for statistics. Please tell me that you understand that.
:)

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB is showing Tiger's split squad game....except the wrong one. I wanted to see the Tigers/Pitts game in Bradenton with Jim Harbaugh coaching at first. (I'm not sure what Harbaughs wOBA is :) )

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My analogy was was not warranted, granted. I guess that I am just voicing my fear that baseball is becoming more and more a game of WATCHING and less of playing. I understand that I will take hits on this....but Fantasy Baseball is NOT baseball.....and I just am starting to feel that the Fantasy end of the game is over-powering the real thing. Perhaps it is just the whine of an older person seeing his youthful endeavors slide away.

Fair enough.

Oddly, what really got me into baseball was the analysis of statistics. I had a cursory interest in stats in the early 2000's but then Moneyball (which I bought out of the business section of my local Barnes & Nobel) really kicked that into gear for me in 2003. I became serious baseball fan and what you might call a "stat nerd" almost overnight and remain as such. It wasn't until 2007 that I joined my first fantasy baseball league when a friend of mine suggested that since I spent so much time looking at baseball stats I might enjoy his fantasy league. Point being, the statistics of the game are one of the main attractions to the game for me, irrespective of my fantasy participation.

For the record, I've got a 6- and 4-year old and they both play baseball.