• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A few interesting Matt Ryan statistics

Is Matt Ryan overrated or underrated?

• Overrated

• Underrated

Results are only viewable after voting.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is Atlanta even doing at RB this year? Giving Freeman a shot?

I remember hating the trade up for Jones (way too far to go up and too much to give up for a WR). But man you go back and look at those drafts and they probably saved themselves a couple of 1st round busts. So much luck is involved in the draft and the positions they would have been looking at those years in the 1st round were all pretty much fool's gold.

Right now there are two RBs on the roster (Freeman and Smith) and I don't think we will re-sign Jaquizz Rodgers. I think Atlanta will draft one in a mid to late round. Right now Freeman is undoubtedly the starter until something else comes up and Smith is kind of a poor man's Darren Sproles.

At first I wasn't a fan of the Julio trade up either. I thought AJ Green was by far the more polished receiver in that draft and Julio was recovering from a broken foot at the time. Cleveland wasted the first rounder we traded to them on Brandon Weeden and it did hurt end up hurting the depth in later years a little but you're right we did make a good pick there.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this part "I left out QBR because it's a shit statistic", but you forgot to add, "for my purposes".

All said and done is you can win with him, so why would you not want him as a QB?

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kinda reminds me of Romo's situation...but in a better place with regards to the court of popular opinions

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hankerson has shown he has the ability to make some plays but he's pretty fragile. He isn't a bad third option in the short run but not a guy we should look to be an eventual #2 behind Julio IMO.

Honestly, Ryan has had some headscratching performances in the playoffs but not all of the losses are on him. If we could have had someone halfway decent opposite of Abraham a few years I think those Green Bay and NY games would have been a lot different. We let Rodgers & Manning sit back in the pocket with impunity and had zero sacks combined in those two games.

Hankerson...okay.

The best playoff game performances imo were SEA and SF...he played well enough to win both of those games and was nearly letdown by the DEF in both.

But that 2 pt game still haunts him...for a guy with his kind of cap hit...you expect good numbers, and he delivers...you also expect big wins...his detractors typically lean on that.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this part "I left out QBR because it's a shit statistic", but you forgot to add, "for my purposes".

All said and done is you can win with him, so why would you not want him as a QB?
I left it out because it tries to measure "clutchness" which is completely subjective.

Here's the QBR stuff from the article:

Ryan’s 90.5 postseason QBR (2012) is the highest mark in QBR history — dating back to 2006.

In the 2012 NFC Championship game vs. the 49ers 2nd ranked pass-defense (NY/A), Ryan recorded the highest single-game QBR in championship game history —and still lost.

chart2.0.png

Using the QBS2 multigenerational grading system that combines league ranking in QBR, DVOA and passer rating, Ryan ranks high — above many members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
chart5.0.png

That doesn't make him look terrible so why would it be for "my purposes"?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you consider Matt Ryan underrated or overrated?
He is decent but has never taken the Falcons to the Super Bowl. He isn't in my top five.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hankerson...okay.

The best playoff game performances imo were SEA and SF...he played well enough to win both of those games and was nearly letdown by the DEF in both.

But that 2 pt game still haunts him...for a guy with his kind of cap hit...you expect good numbers, and he delivers...you also expect big wins...his detractors typically lean on that.
Those two games are easily his best performances in the playoffs for sure. The one against Seattle could have been better without those 2 interceptions though.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is decent but has never taken the Falcons to the Super Bowl. He isn't in my top five.
I don't think he is elite either. Most people have him in the middle of the pack as far as starters go when you look at the lists people make on this board. I figured some of those numbers would be shocking to a few people who don't think very highly of him.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is Atlanta even doing at RB this year? Giving Freeman a shot?

I remember hating the trade up for Jones (way too far to go up and too much to give up for a WR). But man you go back and look at those drafts and they probably saved themselves a couple of 1st round busts. So much luck is involved in the draft and the positions they would have been looking at those years in the 1st round were all pretty much fool's gold.

Yep...Freeman is going to probably be the 15+ carry RB...Antone Davis is probably 8 to 10...I still think they will draft or sign a bigger RB.

Julio...tough call to be honest...Aside from Matt Ryan, and JJ this regime doesn't have many blue chip picks. He hasn't always been healthy, but he's almost always a difference maker when he is.

The trade was not nearly as toxic as I thought...they swapped 27 for 6, and also gave up, 2nd & 4th in '11, & 1st & 4th in '12...only one player from the deal is still on the roster in CLE.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he is elite either. Most people have him in the middle of the pack as far as starters go when you look at the lists people make on this board. I figured some of those numbers would be shocking to a few people who don't think very highly of him.
Ryan is better than most QB's.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Matt Ryan would have been more dominant had he not been on a team that faces a losing battle in the long run with Brees and the saints. He should have gotten out when he had the chance. Brees is not on the decline yet and is throwing more yards at his age than he did in 2007(his seventh year such as Matt Ryan now). I don't think Ryan ever breaks the big pass yard records such as Marino or Favre.

He is overrated because he chose to play for a team that just has bad luck every other year. The falcons get lucky every other year against the saints and in the other years the saints show that their seasons were superior. He is not Manning or Brady. If he was he'd be better at this point.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Ryan is a baller.... Definitely deserves credit ...

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding his playoff success...

He always seems to lose to the team that represents the NFC in the Super Bowl. Which isn't a really bad thing.

shabazz916

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
numbers mean nothing when you loose see carmelo anthony

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely a great quarterback. I've never had any doubts about Matt Ryan. Unfortunately, a lot of the team is a mess still. I'm concerned about our running game, our offensive-line doesn't look good, and the defense, while I expect it to improve (how could it not with how bad it was last year?) since Dan Quinn is now the head coach, still needs more talent if it's going to be any good.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Matt Ryan would have been more dominant had he not been on a team that faces a losing battle in the long run with Brees and the saints. He should have gotten out when he had the chance. Brees is not on the decline yet and is throwing more yards at his age than he did in 2007(his seventh year such as Matt Ryan now). I don't think Ryan ever breaks the big pass yard records such as Marino or Favre.

He is overrated because he chose to play for a team that just has bad luck every other year. The falcons get lucky every other year against the saints and in the other years the saints show that their seasons were superior. He is not Manning or Brady. If he was he'd be better at this point.

The Saints (with Brees...AND Payton) have certainly had the upper hand on ATL...w/o them, maybe Ryan would've had more DIV success, but imo the Saints have little to do with his lack of success in the playoffs. That's what defines Ryan right now...playoffs.