• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A few interesting Matt Ryan statistics

Is Matt Ryan overrated or underrated?

• Overrated

• Underrated

Results are only viewable after voting.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the history of the NFL, only two quarterbacks have ever strung together (3) or more consecutive seasons with 4,500+ passing yards, 25+ touchdown passes, while maintaining a completion percentage above 66.0. The first was Peyton Manning, whose streak has continued for (5) consecutive seasons (2009-10, 2012-14). The other is Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan.

chart1.0.png

In 2012: Ryan was backed by the NFL’s 5th ranked scoring defense, the Falcons boasted a league-best 13-3 record, as Ryan broke Falcons franchise marks for passing yardage (4,719), touchdown passes (32) and completion-percentage (68.6).

While his detractors preached that had yet to win a playoff game, Ryan’s Falcons became the first, and only, team to defeated the Seahawks’ famed "Legion of Boom" in the postseason, when healthy (see: Tom Brady, Super Bowl XLIX vs. injured Sherman, Thomas and Chancellor).

I took out the QBR stats because it's a shit measurement.

Had the Falcons defense not allowed Colin Kaepernick to record thesecond highest total QBR in championship game history, the Falcons might have advanced to Super Bowl XLVII.

Things would only get worse for Ryan in the team-support department. The Falcons ranked 27thin points-surrendered in 2013 and 2014 — giving up a horrendous 26.9 points per-game. Their rushing-offense ranked 32nd (dead last) in 2013 — averaging only 77.9 yards per-game.

In 2013, Ryan completed 439 passes — the 7th highest single-season mark in NFL history at the time and the most ever for a quarterback supported by the NFL’s least productive rushing attack. Ryan’s 415 completions in 2014 ranked 2ndin the NFL — ahead of Roethlisberger (408), Peyton Manning (395), Luck (380), Brady (373) and Rodgers (341).

Ryan holds the NFL record for most completions in the first (7) years of a quarterback’s career.

chart3.0.png

Ryan also has the second most passing yards in the first (7) seasons of a quarterback’s career.

chart4.0.png

Link

Would you consider Matt Ryan underrated or overrated?

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he doesnt get nearly the praise he deserves because his teams defenses (and mike smith) let him down every post season.

his last 4 years (to me he turned a corner in 2011)

93.7 rating

115 TD
57 picks

66% completion

deceptive 33-31 record

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always been hard on Matt Ryan and I have no idea why. I guess when a QB has weapons like Gonzalez, White, Jones I just expect his rating and wonder why it's not in the 100s (for a #3 overall pick).

No doubt he's produced though... I'll agree the Falcon's defenses 'supporting' him.... woofta.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's slightly overrated.

Regular season...he's a top 5 or 6 guy in the league.

Playoffs....maybe a top 12...I know the record is more about the team, but he still needs to play better in those games and win more of them to be fully appreciated.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always been hard on Matt Ryan and I have no idea why. I guess when a QB has weapons like Gonzalez, White, Jones I just expect his rating and wonder why it's not in the 100s (for a #3 overall pick).

No doubt he's produced though... I'll agree the Falcon's defenses 'supporting' him.... woofta.

Probably the Matty Ice thing...it irked me and I like Ryan...the big knock on him in ATL is he has not played well in the playoffs and he has won many playoff games...16 game season...not many better...more durable than he looks...has taken some hits.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does he have to be one or the other?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably the Matty Ice thing...it irked me and I like Ryan...the big knock on him in ATL is he has not played well in the playoffs and he has won many playoff games...16 game season...not many better...more durable than he looks...has taken some hits.

Actually yes. That was probably it. The same reason I can't stand the Saints is that dumb "WHO DAT!?" slogan. You're a fanbase literally mocking your own team because nobody has ever cared about the franchise. Never got it.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His rating gets pegged a bit the last few years because his o-line has been in shambles which has increased the pressure on him significantly. Just this past year we had a TE fill in at guard at one point and 2013 was a freakishly bad injury year for Atlanta on both sides of the ball.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His rating gets pegged a bit the last few years because his o-line has been in shambles which has increased the pressure on him significantly. Just this past year we had a TE fill in at guard at one point and 2013 was a freakishly bad injury year for Atlanta on both sides of the ball.

You guys haven't had much of a rush attack either as I recall.

I like Atlanta, they need a TON of help on defense though. I was analyzing the team with another Falcons fan and we were pretty much in agreement that Atlanta needs to go full defense this draft and grab a RBack mid rounds.... Fortunately this years draft is loaded at DE/OLB/DT/RB/WR (you guys really don't need WR at this point) with some CB presence.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually yes. That was probably it. The same reason I can't stand the Saints is that dumb "WHO DAT!?" slogan. You're a fanbase literally mocking your own team because nobody has ever cared about the franchise. Never got it.

Meant to say he hasn't won many playoff games, but I think you get the picture. Yeah, he won a few last minute games and the nickname was born...a bit premature imo.

Night touched on it already...Matt's toughness has been brought into question before, but I say hogwash...he's taken a beating and rarely ever misses a game. ATL has had terrible luck with OL health the last 2 seasons...3rd string C, and RT finished the season LY...among others.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like Atlanta, they need a TON of help on defense though. I was analyzing the team with another Falcons fan and we were pretty much in agreement that Atlanta needs to go full defense this draft and grab a RBack mid rounds.... Fortunately this years draft is loaded at DE/OLB/DT/RB/WR (you guys really don't need WR at this point) with some CB presence.
Yea, ever since Turner burned out of the league we've been at the bottom of the league in rushing. I think you're right that we will draft a running back in a later round. I kind of feel bad for Steven Jackson who walked into a really bad situation he couldn't have foreseen.

The Falcons just picked up a couple decent veteran TEs (Moeaki and Tamme) so I don't see us drafting any this year when the position is really thin but I can see ATL drafting one next year. I agree that Atlanta will draft a RB in a mid to later round since I think they only have 2 RBs on the roster. WR may not be an issue yet but it will be one soon with a few aging veterans like Roddy White, Devin Hester, and Eric Weems on the roster. This may not be the year to get into WR draft mode but it's coming soon and I honestly wouldn't be that mad if they got one in a later round since this draft his pretty loaded at that position like you said.

Overall, yea, defense needs to be the major focus. Quinn has brought in a lot of guys to compete at LB and DE and I think we're moving in the right direction. The position I see us not improving is safety. Not much depth in the draft or free agency.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meant to say he hasn't won many playoff games, but I think you get the picture. Yeah, he won a few last minute games and the nickname was born...a bit premature imo.

Night touched on it already...Matt's toughness has been brought into question before, but I say hogwash...he's taken a beating and rarely ever misses a game. ATL has had terrible luck with OL health the last 2 seasons...3rd string C, and RT finished the season LY...among others.
That's actually a nickname that he had before entering the NFL. I can't remember if he got it in high school or at Boston College. Ryan is up there for the most 4th quarter comebacks since entering the league though (I believe he is top 3).

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Most likely Ray or Gregory but if any of these 5 (incl Beasley, Dupree, Fowler) are on the board...the will be a Falcon.

But...after that...it's more open than you might think...I could see them dbl down and go for Danielle Hunter from LSU. TE jumps out as a bigger need..a Maxx Williams or Clive Walford...even OT or OG. I don't see them taking a RB until the 3rd rd.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's actually a nickname that he had before entering the NFL. I can't remember if he got it in high school or at Boston College. Ryan is up there for the most 4th quarter comebacks since entering the league though (I believe he is top 3).

He's tied 21st all time which is pretty remarkable for a guy who is 29. For comparison Rivers is tied 21st all time but 33. Pretty impressive I must say.

Okay fine, I'll stop ragging on Matty Ice :D. His comeback opportunities must be remarkable with his terrible defense as well lol. Wilson has 10 already but the Seattle D always keeps games close.

All time is Manning with 41. Wowz0rz.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn't follow him in CFB...didn't know that...I do think it kind of stuck here after he had a little success.

Matt is always debated here...I view Ryan as a little over paid because of the lack of playoff wins and his play in those games, but he's not the reason the team is in this rut. I'm not sure who this guy they got from DC is to take over for HD, but he needs to be able to suck up those targets. Give him a better RZ target and he's going to put up good numbers.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's tied 21st all time which is pretty remarkable for a guy who is 29. For comparison Rivers is tied 21st all time but 33. Pretty impressive I must say.

Okay fine, I'll stop ragging on Matty Ice :D

All time is Manning with 41. Wowz0rz.
I don't mind people saying negative things about him but I think completely writing him off because of Atlanta's postseason record is a bit foolish.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't follow him in CFB...didn't know that...I do think it kind of stuck here after he had a little success.

Matt is always debated here...I view Ryan as a little over paid because of the lack of playoff wins and his play in those games, but he's not the reason the team is in this rut. I'm not sure who this guy they got from DC is to take over for HD, but he needs to be able to suck up those targets. Give him a better RZ target and he's going to put up good numbers.
Hankerson has shown he has the ability to make some plays but he's pretty fragile. He isn't a bad third option in the short run but not a guy we should look to be an eventual #2 behind Julio IMO.

Honestly, Ryan has had some headscratching performances in the playoffs but not all of the losses are on him. If we could have had someone halfway decent opposite of Abraham a few years I think those Green Bay and NY games would have been a lot different. We let Rodgers & Manning sit back in the pocket with impunity and had zero sacks combined in those two games.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a big fan of Ryan coming out of college and honestly he has disappointed a little in my eyes. I really thought he would be elite.

He isn't quite elite but he is as close as you can get more or less. It would be tough to name 10 QB's in the league you want over him IMO.

Is he over or under rated? Depends on who you ask I guess. Anyone who says he is bad is underrating him. Anyone who says he is great is overrating him. He is a good QB. Nothing more, nothing less.

The one thing that still gets lost in this is how Ryan came in and completely re-invented the Falcons franchise in the wake of the Vick scandal. To be able to move on in the very next draft like they did is quite lucky.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing that still gets lost in this is how Ryan came in and completely re-invented the Falcons franchise in the wake of the Vick scandal. To be able to move on in the very next draft like they did is quite lucky.
Joey Harrington definitely turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Don't forget Matt Ryan had a lot of help from Michael Turner too. He was essential to the offense from '08-'11. Those two really helped disguise some fatal flaws the Falcons had for years (particularly on defense) by being able to control the game clock. Once we lost an effective running game the weaknesses started to become more glaring from 2012 to present. From 2011 to 2012 you can see a significant difference in Atlanta's defensive ranking mostly because they were on the field more often.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is Atlanta even doing at RB this year? Giving Freeman a shot?

I remember hating the trade up for Jones (way too far to go up and too much to give up for a WR). But man you go back and look at those drafts and they probably saved themselves a couple of 1st round busts. So much luck is involved in the draft and the positions they would have been looking at those years in the 1st round were all pretty much fool's gold.