• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

6 team playoff

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure this has come up before but why doesnt' the NCAA got to a 6 team playoff.

Take the P5 conference champions and one at large bid for the highest ranked Mid Major or Independent team.

By doing this, you could put importance back into a conference championship which would in effect be another playoff game.

I've always hated the fact that conference champions don't always end up in the playoff. This way all 5 conference champions get it. The committee could rank them 1 thru 5 with the top 2 getting first round byes.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure this has come up before but why doesnt' the NCAA got to a 6 team playoff.

Take the P5 conference champions and one at large bid for the highest ranked Mid Major or Independent team.

By doing this, you could put importance back into a conference championship which would in effect be another playoff game.

I've always hated the fact that conference champions don't always end up in the playoff. This way all 5 conference champions get it. The committee could rank them 1 thru 5 with the top 2 getting first round byes.
Why not go to 8, with the 5 conference winners and 3 at large teams?

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think an 8 team play off would be unnecessary. If you count the conference championships as playoff games, you already have ten teams getting in plus one at large.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think an 8 team play off would be unnecessary. If you count the conference championships as playoff games, you already have ten teams getting in plus one at large.
If a team is not in the top 6 why give them a free pass to the playoffs. You will reward teams scheduling like Oregon who play garbage non conference games. You are also inviting 3, 4, 5 loss teams into playoffs over more deserving teams. No free rides.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do believe every P5 conference should be represented and there should be some spotlight on the best G5 team in the country. I think 8 teams is too much but 6, in my opinion, is the perfect number. #1 and #2 get a bye, #3 plays #6 and #4 plays #5.

Last edited:

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a team is not in the top 6 why give them a free pass to the playoffs. You will reward teams scheduling like Oregon who play garbage non conference games. You are also inviting 3, 4, 5 loss teams into playoffs over more deserving teams. No free rides.

Because if they finished high enough to play in their conference championship, and win the game, chances are they will be ranked in the top 6 anyway.

Has a conference champion ever been not ranked in the top six?

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because finding 4 deserving teams is hard enough, is my guess.

That is why going to 6 teams is the best way to go. You solve the problem of having to choose the 4 best teams. You simply let it play out on the field.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because if they finished high enough to play in their conference championship, and win the game, chances are they will be ranked in the top 6 anyway.

Yes. Off the top of my head, I know Wisconsin back in 2012 when they were a 6 loss team. If it rarely ever happens then there doesn’t need to be a caveat for it. It also leaves complaints from G5 conference champions being excluded.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

USC last year, for one. I’m sure I could did up multiple examples, but since I had such an easy one without doing any work, I’ll just go with that.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is why going to 6 teams is the best way to go. You solve the problem of having to choose the 4 best teams. You simply let it play out on the field.

No. It makes out of conference games completely irrelevant, out of conference scheduling is bad enough as it is.

It already plays out of the field anyway, look like shit and lose games and you’re out.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because the way it currently is, EVERY, and I mean EVERY, regular season game is important. Even my beloved Miners vs New Mexico State is critical in who gets into the playoffs. If it were expanded, some games wouldn't matter. This way they all matter.

Did I do that right?

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For example, last year it would've been Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC and UCF. I personally don't think you should be in the Playoff if you didn't even win your own conference title.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC last year, for one. I’m sure I could did up multiple examples, but since I had such an easy one without doing any work, I’ll just go with that.

LSU from the SEC.

FSU from the ACC.

I would imagine there are others.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do people think conference champions automatically deserve something on a national stage?

Conferences are just a group of teams that agree to play each other every year. There is nothing magical about them where the best teams somehow spread out among them evenly. Nor do they provide the same type of environments, levels of competition or anything else.

Even worse, the conferences themselves do nothing towards trying to crown what is their actual best team to put forward on a national stage. Their rules are based solely around deciding their own conference champions, and nothing else. And the conferences themselves suffer from exactly the problem you are wanting to create - divisions that give automatic qualifiers to the championship game rather than putting in the 2 best teams.

Even worse, they don't even consider OOC records at all. So those 3 or 4 games - mean 0. Alabama vs Texas coming up - worthless and meaningless game 100%. There is literally no reason to play that game, and that's fucking stupid. You can lose all your OOC game and still automatically qualify for the playoffs by these methods.

The shit ain't broken as it is now, but there sure is a large group of idiots trying like hell to break it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For example, last year it would've been Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC and UCF. I personally don't think you should be in the Playoff if you didn't even win your own conference title.

UCF didn't even belong in the top10, much less the playoffs.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Have your own LITTLE DUDES playoff thingie.

Our 4 team thingie works just fine.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The possibility of what might have happened in the PAC 12 in 2011 is a good example against automatically letting conference champions in.

UCLA was 6-6 going into the the CCG against Oregon as the PAC 12 South champ. They lost to Houston, Texas, Stanford, Arizona, Utah and USC but still won the South...mainly because of USC's NCAA issues. They ended the year 6-8 losing a bowl game to Illinois.

Had they beaten Oregon in the CCG, they'd have been in the CFP using the criteria you laid out.