• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 5) Indiana Pacers vs. 4) Cleveland Cavaliers

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah? What about these?

And really, Trojan, you don't remember this?

It's all over this thread, my friend. You just need to know where to look for it.
LeBron is not better than Kobe, period. Of course that is just my opinion. Actually I'm not sure if LeBron is better than Westbrook. Maybe if a person goes by titles won, than LeBron is better than Westbrook.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron is not better than Kobe, period. Of course that is just my opinion. Actually I 'm not sure if LeBron is better than Westbrook.

Yeah, but in this context, it's probably worth noting that you spent an hour and a half this morning trying to log on to tHoop on your microwave.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,821.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they landed those two guys, you won't have a problem finding guys that want to take a last swing at a ring, or want more exposure for their next deal.

That's why I LOL when I see people say that we can't fill out a roster.

As a long time Lakers fan I know vets will sign here to help with depth.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buying him out is possible, but not probable. It would cost him a lot of money, so he'd have to be willing to help the Lakers out. I don't see him doing that.

So, he will most likely be stretched. That frees up cap space, but I don't know if it's enough to keep Lopez.

Dream scenario, stretching Deng and Lopez signing for less allows them a roster of

Lebron
PG
Ingram
Lonzo
Lopez
Kuzma
Hart
Zubac

4-5 league minimum guys.

I'd take my chances with that.

Either way, they'll have to rely heavily on their top 7-8 guys and hope another bench guy or 2 can step up.

Hard to imagine that Brook Lopez is going to be willing to accept league minimum.

I hadn't really looked at it that deeply before but I have to say that signing two max players this offseason doesn't make the most sense. If you could get Lebron or PG and then bring in 2 or 3 mid-level guys, the Lakers would be in much better shape mid and long term. Not going to win a title next year certainly but I really don't think that is realistic for next year barring Polinka/Magic pulling a serious rabbit out of their hat.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah? What about these?

And really, Trojan, you don't remember this?

It's all over this thread, my friend. You just need to know where to look for it.

lol

If only those quotes were as real as this one.

Lakers fans are by far the most knowledgeable fans on these boards. I hope that one day I will be smart enough and cool enough to be allowed into this very exclusive group of fans. I know that it's unlikely, but a fella can dream can't he?

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but in this context, it's probably worth noting that you spent an hour and a half this morning trying to log on to tHoop on your microwave.
LOL, actually that's true, but how do you know, unless you were in the kitchen with me. :scratch:

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

If only those quotes were as real as this one.

giphy.gif

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd get some vets that would play for the minimum.

Wade most notably (if he doesn't retire)......he's still good for 15-20mpg off the bench.....just look at him this summer. In limited mpg he can still ball.

Can you think of some high performing older vets that would be willing to take league minimum? Mid-season acquisitions off of buyouts are something else. Wade went to Chicago last off-season for 15 million

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you think of some high performing older vets that would be willing to take league minimum? Mid-season acquisitions off of buyouts are something else. Wade went to Chicago last off-season for 15 million
the fact is that its exceedingly rare for pro athletes to leave money on the table- and INSANELY rare for them to leave singificant money on the table.

Does it happen? Sure- David West is an example.

Does it happen often? Definitely not.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,821.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It always happens when super teams are assembled.

Vets chasing a ring.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the fact is that its exceedingly rare for pro athletes to leave money on the table- and INSANELY rare for them to leave singificant money on the table.

Does it happen? Sure- David West is an example.

Does it happen often? Definitely not.

Yeah. And, to be honest, I'm not sure how many people are going to want to take a huge paycut to play in LA simply because they have Lebron.

It's possible certainly. I think Jeff Green is probably about as good a player as you could hope to get on a league minimum.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to imagine that Brook Lopez is going to be willing to accept league minimum.

I agree. That's why I said it's a dream scenario. The only reason I mentioned it is because he said he would take less and I don't know what the market will be for him.

Obviously, he took the Lakers offer this season because he wasn't getting the kinds of offers he was looking for. The thing is, I don't know if he helped himself, hurt himself, or stayed the same with his play this season.

He wasn't bad...

But he certainly didn't have the kind of season that he was hoping for to land himself a bigger long term deal. He actually looked like he was costing himself money earlier in the season. Then he seemed to settle into a role and played fairly well late in the season.

If the offers he receives aren't what he's hoping for and the Lakers look like they can contend...maybe he decides it's worth taking a 1 year vet min deal to chase a ring and maybe bump his stock a little too? Not probable, but not exactly at the "the Lakers can get Lebron, PG, Kawhi and keep all of their young guys too" level dreaming either. lol

I hadn't really looked at it that deeply before but I have to say that signing two max players this offseason doesn't make the most sense. If you could get Lebron or PG and then bring in 2 or 3 mid-level guys, the Lakers would be in much better shape mid and long term. Not going to win a title next year certainly but I really don't think that is realistic for next year barring Polinka/Magic pulling a serious rabbit out of their hat.

I believe that they can get PG by himself. PG is young enough that he can afford to be patient for a couple of seasons while the kids develop and the Lakers work to add players at a more "cap friendly pace". He also said he wanted to come to the Lakers at a time when they had less going for them than they do now.

Lebron ain't coming by himself. So, if they get Lebron, they are getting another max guy with him. Which then puts them in the exact spot that sparked this discussion. lol