• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2018!

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The MacDonald buyout is a crusher. 3 years remaining on contract and 6 years of buyout with last 3 at $1.8. I wonder what draft picks we would realistically have to throw in to get LV to take him. I would think 2 and 3 but maybe 3 and 4?
Me i personally i would give up a 3rd and a 4th since we have 2 of each this year and get rid of that contract. Although if we dont its not a crusher as i think he had a half decent season.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I think Drouin is clearly a dynamic, potentially elite winger, but I wouldn't give up a possible future Norris trophy winning defender for him straight-up. Not a chance. Provorov is younger, cheaper and has a higher ceiling in my book. I don't know anything about Sergachev, but I don't think Hexy would've traded Provorov for Drouin in any capacity.

That said, I think the $5.5 million per is a good price and if they are happy with their defense as is, so be it. A lot of bang for your buck and probably makes Montreal a good bit better effective immediately. The kid does need to maybe get his head on straight though and be responsible defensively. It's not without risk.

Yep, agreed. It's a little different on the Provorov front because he's had the year in the NHL (and it was a great one). So he's a little more of a matured prospect than Sergachev. I don't think there's any way Hexy would've traded Provorov for Drouin either. I'll be curious to see how Sergachev progresses.

Ups my confidence even more in being able to trade a dman for a stud forward at some point in the future though. Hall for Larsson. Drouin for Sergachev. Johansen for Jones. Definitely a trend.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would we be able to trade down and still get this kid with size grit and smarts.

Everyone seems to think the Stars will either take a dman or trade down so someone else can take a dman at #3. So maybe you're looking at going down to #4, which is the Avs pick. That could make it exciting. #2 and Hagg for Duchene and #4, draft Vilardi? That would be quite the draft day bonanza.

Not knowing what the Avs would actually want in that deal, I'd still rather the Flyers stay at #2 and take Hischier or Patrick.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, starting to lean back towards Hischier.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going back on the Drouin trade, was Yzerman forced into trading him bc Drouin was not protected by the expansion draft? If so, TB actually did well on the return bc Vegas would have snagged him up in a heartbeat imo. I'm just curious how this trade came about?

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, starting to lean back towards Hischier.

It's tough. In the back of our minds, we know that each one of these guys could be either a franchise forward or a complete bust. Not likely that either is a bust, but the possibility is there and if one of them is plagued by injuries, then there's that too.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going back on the Drouin trade, was Yzerman forced into trading him bc Drouin was not protected by the expansion draft? If so, TB actually did well on the return bc Vegas would have snagged him up in a heartbeat imo. I'm just curious how this trade came about?

TB has some fairly significant cap issues and they had too many players they wanted to protect (must be nice eh?). So they were forced in to moving someone I think, and Drouin seemed to be the prefered guy to move based on everything I've read. Getting Sergachev who is cost controlled and ineligible for the expansion draft is a major boost for TB. They're still very talented up front too.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TB has some fairly significant cap issues and they had too many players they wanted to protect (must be nice eh?). So they were forced in to moving someone I think, and Drouin seemed to be the prefered guy to move based on everything I've read. Getting Sergachev who is cost controlled and ineligible for the expansion draft is a major boost for TB. They're still very talented up front too.

So they've got 9 fwds, 4 dmen, and 1 goalie signed for next year. 17 mil in space to sign 4 forwards and 3 dmen, Tyler Johnson and Ondrej Palat being two of them that will be pretty expensive. So they needed to move some salary.

They've got some good young forwards in the system too in Point, Cirelli, and Raddysh. Drouin was definitely an expendable part, which is awesome for them considering how good he is.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seems like an odd trade. Throw in Madsen to get a 5th round pick rather than lose Cousins for nothing? Hope there's more to it...maybe this increases the likelihood that Vegas will be willing to take MacDonald if we throw in picks? Despite Bill Meltzer's write up to the contrary, losing MacDonald is a win-win. He was buried in the AHL a couple of years ago for a reason, and had a significant negative impact on Provorov's stats this past season. The Flyers can sign someone better AND cheaper to replace him short term.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins trade is definitely odd. But I don't think there was a plan to use Cousins or Madsen given the depth chart. Basically move both of them for younger versions? Probably won't use them either, but I guess it's 'new potential'?

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins trade is definitely odd. But I don't think there was a plan to use Cousins or Madsen given the depth chart. Basically move both of them for younger versions? Probably won't use them either, but I guess it's 'new potential'?

No real space for Cousins or Madsen. Where would either of them fit on this team now or even in two to three seasons? Too many players at their position on our depth chart that are better.

So, I like the move. We get younger too, really. Warren only just turned 20 and obviously the 5th round pick is for next season.

There was probably a fair chance Vegas would've taken Cousins anyway and we can't afford to protect him either. Just too many forwards on our team with the 2nd overall pick and other prospects on the way. PEB, Read, Raffl, Weise, Konecny, Weal, Vecchione. These are all bottom six guys that would probably dress over Cousins. Mostly because the majority of them can score more goals. A couple of them may even play in the top six.

I am hearing that there is a decent chance Madsen wasn't going to sign with us anyway and then we'd lose him for nothing too. It makes sense because we have a few goalie prospects that are absolutely in his way of being our starter anytime soon.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have so many damn extra picks. Aside from giving up our 2nd overall, I would do whatever we can to steal a #4 defender from a team that can't protect him and then convince Vegas to take MacDonald in the expansion draft via some picks. It can be done in either order, but let's do it.

We would very likely be shedding salary and improving defensively all at once because a #4 on a good defensive team is probably better, younger and likely even cheaper than MacDonald. We don't want Gudas being the only true veteran for us defensively either.

Make it happen, Hexy. Work your magic.

Last edited:

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the Devils' acquisition of Swiss dman and former 1st round pick Mirco Mueller a sign that they will be drafting Nico Hischier? Food for thought.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the Devils' acquisition of Swiss dman and former 1st round pick Mirco Mueller a sign that they will be drafting Nico Hischier? Food for thought.

I would lean towards no. It's just too easy. I expect them to take Patrick and also hope they do at this point.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Protection list reveal day!

My guess:
Giroux, Filpula, Couturier, Schenn, Simmonds, Voracek, Raffl

Gudas, Gostisbehere, MacDonald

Stolarz

LV takes Laughton.