• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2018!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides, if Fleury were to come in and give us another season of 3.02 gaa and .909 sv % at a cost of close to six million, we'd all be calling for Hexy's head...Lol

We can't pick on Neuvy for having the worst save percentage and want Fleury when he was 33rd in that category and 41st in goals against average, of which only three were worse (not our goalies either).

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(as an aside, talking hockey is way more fun than doing work, so thanks Mav :))

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would happily take Elliott/Neuvy at $5 million over Fleury/Stolarz at $7 million. Depending on what we do with MacDonald/Read, that's $2 million going toward potentially signing Oshie (at probably around $6 million), who scored 33 goals in only 68 games last season and was coached previously by Hakstol.

In addition to that, we don't "rush" Stolie into an immediate backup role in the Nhl when he's only played in literally a few games.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Furthermore, Fleury was one of the worst shootout goalies in the Nhl this past season. 15 shots faced and only 8 saves. Yeah, that's what we need in our shootouts. It's bad enough that we can barely score in them, let alone keep the puck out of our net.

Fair is fair in this. I'm pulling numbers out of my ass here left and right, but they are real...Lol

Besides, you know better than to argue with me on this...Rofl

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't find the emoji of me teabagging Fleury.

Assistance please? :nutswing:

Edit: I'll settle for that one scene in "Brothers Grimsby."

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would happily take Elliott/Neuvy at $5 million over Fleury/Stolarz at $7 million. Depending on what we do with MacDonald/Read, that's $2 million going toward potentially signing Oshie (at probably around $6 million), who scored 33 goals in only 68 games last season and was coached previously by Hakstol.

In addition to that, we don't "rush" Stolie into an immediate backup role in the Nhl when he's only played in literally a few games.

Well then we'll just have to agree to disagree on that haha.

I just don't see the Flyers clearing enough room to sign Oshie, regardless of who you have in net. Nobody is going to take MacDonald without adders and I don't see the Flyers adding value to MacDonald just to get rid of him. I just don't. They wouldn't have played him 2nd most on the team if they thought that little of him.

My #1 opinion on goalies though, it should have been Mase. Just so we're clear. I'm not in love with the Fleury idea, I just don't think it's a terrible.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just don't see the Flyers clearing enough room to sign Oshie, regardless of who you have in net. Nobody is going to take MacDonald without adders and I don't see the Flyers adding value to MacDonald just to get rid of him. I just don't. They wouldn't have played him 2nd most on the team if they thought that little of him.

My #1 opinion on goalies though, it should have been Mase. Just so we're clear. I'm not in love with the Fleury idea, I just don't think it's a terrible.
We have 11 picks in this years draft why wouldn't Hexy add a pick or two to get that McD contract out of Philly.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I accept your acknowledgement of defeat.

:yes::lol::suds:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I accept your acknowledgement of defeat.

:yes::lol::suds:

Honestly I have no idea what they're going to do in net. That's my biggest concern right now. None of the options they're apparently considering seem like good options to me.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have 11 picks in this years drafts why wouldn't Hexy add a pick or two to get that McD contract out of Philly.

Asset management. If they think he's valuable enough to be on their top pair all season, they're not going to dump draft picks to get rid of him. I think it's far more likely that he's on the top pair again this season than it is that he gets traded.

I think they're crazy for that, but I wouldn't give up a ton of value either. They dont need the cap space right now. They shouldn't be looking to sign high priced free agents right now. Those are the contracts you regret in a few years. In a few years the Flyers need to be rid of regretted contracts so they can sign new ones they'll regret in the future to make their push.

Trade AMac and a 2nd this year. Sign Oshie to a 6 year 6 mil contract. Potentially come to regret it (The risk of TJ Oshie’s next contract), and you have 6 mil on the books that you don't like when you need to sign Provorov, Konecny, Sanheim, Myers, #2 after their ELC's.

Why not wait, at least one more year, and trade AMac and a 3rd or 4th to clear cap space next year? Trading a 5 mil hit for 1 year is way easier than 5 mil for 2. Don't sign Oshie and keep those bullets for later when you need to use them.

I'm VERY anti-UFA signings until your window is wide open and you're going for it. UFA deals are overpaid and regretted almost every time. See Weise. See MacDonald. See Gaborik. See Backes. See Clarkson. See Bryz. You have to do it sometimes, but that time is not now for the Flyers. IMO. So take the MacDonald pill and keep the draft pick. At least this summer.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I have no idea what they're going to do in net. That's my biggest concern right now. None of the options they're apparently considering seem like good options to me.

I think teams not named Pittsburgh that have two good goalies and don't want to lose one of them for nothing should be looked at as potential trade partners for us here.

If we really want to deal with a rival and get a Cup winning goalie, Ward from Carolina even. Same age as Fleury and probably cheaper.

Howard had a sparkling year for Detroit this past season, but just couldn't stay healthy. Around the same age and dollar amount as Fleury and a proven guy. He may be available.

Carter Hutton may be available from St. Louis. He had numbers right on par with Jake Allen, their starter, and is way cheaper.

This is only a few of the potentials via trade.

We have excellent, young goalies on the way here and we're not in position to win a Cup with even the best right now, so I don't see any point in spending massive dollars on one guy unless he's trending up and not named Fleury.

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think MacDonald was top pair virtually all season long because we think he's a #2 guy, it's because we wanted a stable, healthy veteran to mentor Provorov.

I've said this before, his advanced stats had him 7th on our team among our defense. So, he's essentially a $5 million bag of pucks to us right now. And no, not golden pucks either.

Give Vegas a pick or two to have them take him off our hands during the expansion draft. They are probably more likely to eat his contract now than any other team in the next offseason.

Why? They are brand new and need as many picks as they can get, plus have virtually unlimited cap space to burn. MacDonald could probably start for them too and not have it be a total waste.

Last edited:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think MacDonald was top pair virtually all season long because we think he's a #2 guy, it's because we wanted a stable, healthy veteran to mentor Provorov.

I've said this before, his advanced stats had him 7th on our team among our defense. So, he's essentially a $5 million bag of pucks to us right now. And no, not golden pucks either.

Give Vegas a pick or two to have them take him off our hands during the expansion draft. They are probably more likely to eat his contract now than any other team in the next offseason.

Why? They are brand new and need as many picks as they can get, plus have virtually unlimited cap space to burn. MacDonald could probably start for them too and not have it be a total waste.

Bold 1: If that were the case, why not Gudas? Or Streit? or MDZ (at least at the beginning of the season)? I would call those guys veterans, and Gudas/Streit are stable. Advanced stats aren't proof that the organization doesn't value him. It's not even proof that he's bad (though in this case, that is true). And if you think MacDonald is bad, why would you want him to mentor your prized rookie? Wouldn't you want him with someone who could teach him how to be good and not bad?

Whether we like it or not, the Flyers value MacDonald.

Bold 2: Not sure I agree with that, but there's no way to argue it haha

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think teams not named Pittsburgh that have two good goalies and don't want to lose one of them for nothing should be looked at as potential trade partners for us here.

If we really want to deal with a rival and get a Cup winning goalie, Ward from Carolina even. Same age as Fleury and probably cheaper.

Howard had a sparkling year for Detroit this past season, but just couldn't stay healthy. Around the same age and dollar amount as Fleury and a proven guy. He may be available.

Carter Hutton may be available from St. Louis. He had numbers right on par with Jake Allen, their starter, and is way cheaper.

This is only a few of the potentials via trade.

We have excellent, young goalies on the way here and we're not in position to win a Cup with even the best right now, so I don't see any point in spending massive dollars on one guy unless he's trending up and not named Fleury.

Cam Ward doesn't really excite me. I like Fleury more than Ward, but he'd be a decent option. Not trending up either.

Howard, might as well just use Lyon and Stolarz with how injured the NHL rotation would be haha

Hutton, he'd be a decent option. Not sure he's really a risk to lose in expansion given his age, but i'd still look at trading for him.

I agree we're not in a position to win the cup, but why not spend to the cap and give it your best shot? And with guys like Fleury, you're not risking the future cap because he comes off in 2 years. Other UFA's you're probably signing past 2 years and they could get in the way of the bright future.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bold 1: If that were the case, why not Gudas? Or Streit? or MDZ (at least at the beginning of the season)? I would call those guys veterans, and Gudas/Streit are stable. Advanced stats aren't proof that the organization doesn't value him. It's not even proof that he's bad (though in this case, that is true). And if you think MacDonald is bad, why would you want him to mentor your prized rookie? Wouldn't you want him with someone who could teach him how to be good and not bad?

Whether we like it or not, the Flyers value MacDonald.

Bold 2: Not sure I agree with that, but there's no way to argue it haha

Just because MacDonald is overpaid for his skillset doesn't mean he's not a good pro and I think any rookie can learn from that. You at least have to give the guy credit for having a giant dump taken on him one season and then bouncing back to play 20 minutes a game the very next. Perhaps we were letting him play top pairing so that someone would more likely take him off our hands later on. You just don't know.

Either way, Streit and MDZ were in and out of the lineup due to injury and not really performing well either. Gudas idk, other than having about half the experience.

Not sure how much we truly value MacDonald anymore. Four rookies will probably beat him out in training camp and the sum of their salaries won't equal his...Lol

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because MacDonald is overpaid for his skillset doesn't mean he's not a good pro and I think any rookie can learn from that. You at least have to give the guy credit for having a giant dump taken on him one season and then bouncing back to play 20 minutes a game the very next. Perhaps we were letting him play top pairing so that someone would more likely take him off our hands later on. You just don't know.

Either way, Streit and MDZ were in and out of the lineup due to injury and not really performing well either. Gudas idk, other than having about half the experience.

Not sure how much we truly value MacDonald anymore. Four rookies will probably beat him out in training camp and the sum of their salaries won't equal his...Lol

All I will say to that is "four rookies will probably out play him in training camp and the sum of their salaries won't equal his". I wouldn't be so sure that they will beat him out though. This year was proof of that.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam Ward doesn't really excite me. I like Fleury more than Ward, but he'd be a decent option. Not trending up either.

Howard, might as well just use Lyon and Stolarz with how injured the NHL rotation would be haha

Hutton, he'd be a decent option. Not sure he's really a risk to lose in expansion given his age, but i'd still look at trading for him.

I agree we're not in a position to win the cup, but why not spend to the cap and give it your best shot? And with guys like Fleury, you're not risking the future cap because he comes off in 2 years. Other UFA's you're probably signing past 2 years and they could get in the way of the bright future.

I don't think we're signing or trading for any goalie beyond a two year term. Not with Stolarz, Lyon, Hart etc. on the way. So, we can maybe fault Hexy for the situation at hand, but we can praise him too for drafting several very promising, young goalies of the future, especially Hart.