• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2018!

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh believe me i'm not trying to defend Hak there. His management of the 'bottom' of the lineup has been dreadful. The fact that Read was sent down for the first half of the season and is now out there in the final minute of games with the best the Flyers have to offer and playing PK with Couturier is a prime example of that.

If Lappy wasn't an abysmal PK coach i'd be wondering what the PK could have been if Read had been up all season.
I know I was kind of adding on to your post, sorry for the confusion, but you're assessment of the Read example is a perfect scenario, He had the bottom half clicking but there have been too many changes for consistency, I hope if anything we can find a better suited NHL caliber coach, would hate to waste future potential waiting on a coach.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me start by saying I still think we have an up and coming powerhouse team.

That said, there's some maturing to do in the defensive and neutral zones. We also haven't adjusted to the play of Mrazek and often do not appear to play well in front of him. We've at times had issues closing teams out, even far lesser teams, and on the road as of late too.

I actually lay blame to some of our vets like Simmonds, Weal, Filppula, Laughton, Gudas and Manning for this, but it falls on everyone too.

Pretty sure the Wayne Train got left at the station in the 3rd period last night because he wasn't playing defense. Now maybe he's injured, but his team-worst -16 on the season is inexcusable. Weal and Laughton both at -10 are not good enough either.

Whenever our third line gets pinned in our own zone with our third defensive pairing, I cringe. It's a recipe for disaster right now.

After all of that, if we would've just come at them all game long in their zone, we probably would've scored 8+ goals and not had to worry about how many we gave up. Instead, we sit back and float around our defensive zone, letting them come at us for a large portion of the game. All Nhl teams burn you when you play not to lose, especially in a division rivalry.

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team will get exponentially better with another year of maturing for our younger players and another infusion of youth during training camp.

These vets that aren't getting the job done will either not be re-signed, be traded or get outplayed and replaced by a youngster.

All of that just makes us a better team at the end of the day.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very happy with Patrick of late wow was he good.

Not happy with Gudas seems to be labouring why Hagg isn't in confuses me especially if he's hurt. Simmonds way to up and down.

I was actually hoping for the first wildcard to get Washington seems like the best match up. I can see upset there...

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not happy with Gudas seems to be labouring why Hagg isn't in confuses me especially if he's hurt. Simmonds way to up and down.

I was actually hoping for the first wildcard to get Washington seems like the best match up. I can see upset there...

Me too, but we may have blown that by not getting a point against the Islanders. We need one of Columbus/Pitt to lose twice (they play each other tomorrow night) or NJ to lose once and then win both of our games.

Also, we could've clinched a playoff spot with that point and a win in either of these last two games. Now we need to get three points out of just two games or have Florida lose a game. One more mistake and it's out of our control.

Playoff hockey should start tomorrow for us. There has to be desperation all over the ice for 60 minutes. The pressure is squarely on us to go out and get two points, especially on home ice. No excuses here.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've been thinking the same about Gudas. Lot's of people clamoring for Manning to spend some time in the Cote suite, and I'm not Manning's biggest fan, but he's outplaying Gudas by my eyes. I would like to see a Manning/Hagg pairing, at least for a game. Can it really be worse than the Manning/Gudas pair?

This is a good example of the depth issue though. On a good, deep team, benching Sanheim and Ghost in the last 5 minutes makes total sense. They're offense first d-men, they're not in the NHL for their ability to protect a lead. The problem is, that leaves you with Provorov (great), MacDonald (OK), Manning (Bad), Gudas (terrible this season) defending the lead. And that's bad. A deeper team puts a better group out there to defend a lead and actually succeeds sometimes.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been thinking the same about Gudas. Lot's of people clamoring for Manning to spend some time in the Cote suite, and I'm not Manning's biggest fan, but he's outplaying Gudas by my eyes. I would like to see a Manning/Hagg pairing, at least for a game. Can it really be worse than the Manning/Gudas pair?

This is a good example of the depth issue though. On a good, deep team, benching Sanheim and Ghost in the last 5 minutes makes total sense. They're offense first d-men, they're not in the NHL for their ability to protect a lead. The problem is, that leaves you with Provorov (great), MacDonald (OK), Manning (Bad), Gudas (terrible this season) defending the lead. And that's bad. A deeper team puts a better group out there to defend a lead and actually succeeds sometimes.
While I agree with everything you said, it's just that, once you get past Prov at D the list just crashes.the last 5 minutes is a long time to ask 1 guy to hold it together, the other team just skates around our zone in that time because A- they wont hit any one(Hagg will) And B- beyond Provorov they all suck at actually playing defense.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So with the Blues losing to the Hawks tonight, that pretty much eliminates them from playoffs. What pick will the FLyers receive in the trade? I would imagine a pretty good one, no?

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So with the Blues losing to the Hawks tonight, that pretty much eliminates them from playoffs. What pick will the FLyers receive in the trade? I would imagine a pretty good one, no?

It's good news on another front, no doubt. I watched the end of that game last night. Pretty unreal. St. Louis was up 3-1, blew the lead and then took a penalty with exactly two minutes remaining in regulation. I was pulling for the Hawks of course. With 40 seconds remaining, I said to myself "Alright, let's end this Chicago." Puck later fed to Duncan Keith at the point and he let one go with about 9 seconds left that went through traffic and hit the back of the net. The whole St. Louis bench dropped their heads and their players on the ice were snapping sticks in half...Lol

They aren't officially out yet, but they basically have to win their last two games, both on the road and in successive nights just to get in. They certainly look like a defeated team though. I've already bet that they won't make it, but we shall see.

Our pick from them will be guaranteed top 15 (probably 15th or 14th to start) if they do miss the playoffs, but will have the potential to be higher via the draft lottery. If it becomes top 10, they can defer it to next year and we get an extra 3rd round pick. Not too shabby for us, either way.

Last edited:

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's good news on another front, no doubt. I watched the end of that game last night. Pretty unreal. St. Louis was up 3-1, blew the lead and then took a penalty with exactly two minutes remaining in regulation. I was pulling for the Hawks of course. With 40 seconds remaining, I said to myself "Alright, let's end this Chicago." Puck later fed to Duncan Keith at the point and he let one go with about 9 seconds left that went through traffic and hit the back of the net.
The whole St. Louis bench dropped their heads and their players on the ice were snapping sticks in
half...Lol

They aren't officially out yet, but they basically have to win their last two games, both on the road and in
successive nights just to get in. They certainly look like a defeated team though. I've already bet that they
won't make it, but we shall see.

Our pick from them will be guaranteed top 15 (probably 15th or 14th to start) if they do miss the playoffs,
but will have the potential to be higher via the draft lottery. If it becomes top 10, they can defer it to next
year and we get an extra 3rd round pick. Not too shabby for us, either way.
That is awesome. Take the BPA approach or bundle up some picks to move up.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St Louis is 1 point behind Colorado for the 8th seed, They both have 2 games remaining with their last being against each other in Colorado. Dallas also is still in the mix only 3 points behind Colorado and 2 behind St Louis. Should be a good dog fight to the end. Gonna enjoy some good hockey this week, I just hope the Flyers can win their last two but I'm not holding my breath.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no words for the lack of play by the entire team the other night.

Ill take Travis K to score first tonight.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're going to win tonight.

You know how I know this?

We absolutely must win.

There is no tomorrow.

I'll take Provorov for the first goal. He's going to be a monster in this one, Couturier and G too.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he had did that for a little in the third period last game. I wouldn't do it though.
he did it in the 2nd last game. put the lines back together in the 3rd and voila...

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moving Konecny off the top line is stupid.