• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2018!

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again im not saying Schenn is a better player im saying the is no way in hell we should get rid of Schenn at 5 million and bring on Taveras at 10-12 million.

Add up the salaries for those two lines and then tell me if you agree.
w/ Tavares @ 12 - 22.6 mil
w/ Schenn @ 5 - 17.6 mil

And 1000 times out 1000 I'm taking the Tavares line.

Even though I don't like Schenn much, this is far more about Tavares. Tavares would be the best Flyers player since Lindros. He's one of the best players in the league, he's not just a good top 6 player or a good depth guy.

Giroux (for my own comparison's sake)
5 time all-star
Top 5 in Hart voting once, Top 20 3 times
Top 10 Selke voting zero, top 50 3 times

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again im not saying Schenn is a better player im saying the is no way in hell we should get rid of Schenn at 5 million and bring on Taveras at 10-12 million.

Add up the salaries for those two lines and then tell me if you agree.

I don't think Tavares gets that high of a cap hit unless he stays with the Islanders, so we can stop with the $10-12 million. Only 3 guys in the Nhl currently have a cap hit at $10 million. They have arguably done more than Tavares has too. That's Kane, Toews and Kopitar.

If you're talking salary, he may very well get that for a couple seasons, but not that cap hit unless the Isles toss him some ridiculous deal and he accepts.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they Flyers had Tavares, Giroux, Voracek, and Couturier as 4 of their top 6 forwards, they would be unstoppable offensively.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Tavares gets that high of a cap hit unless he stays with the Islanders, so we can stop with the $10-12 million. Only 3 guys in the Nhl currently have a cap hit at $10 million.

If you're talking salary, he may very well get that for a couple seasons.

I'd give him 12 in a heartbeat. He makes the Flyers a contender overnight.

Better yet, since they moved Schenn, giving Tavares 12 doesn't endanger re-signing Provorov. So not only does he make you a contender overnight, he makes you a contender for the next 3-5 years easy.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Better yet, since they moved Schenn, giving Tavares 12 doesn't endanger re-signing Provorov. So not only does he make you a contender overnight, he makes you a contender for the next 3-5 years easy.

I would give him $12 million in salary for a couple seasons, but to have his contract average out to $12 million per season makes him the highest cap hit in the Nhl by $1.5 million until McDavid's extension begins next season. I'd go that high if I absolutely had to, but he has to understand that we need money elsewhere to build a powerhouse team around him too.

The cap is $75 million and to have one guy take up $12 million could sting a little. He's worth it though...Lol

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soooo hysterical that both of you are wanting the high priced free agent now where as the WHOLE summer i argued for keeping Schenn and both of you guys were HUGE on the youth movement because Schenn's contract was too much at 5 million and saying in a few years all of our forwards will be ready with our young defense and our goalie in place we will be winning the cup. Crazy how that went away in a hurry.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We're definitely sitting pretty with Provorov. His current deal isn't up until after we lose cap hits of Filppula, Lehtera, Read, Umberger, Simmonds, Raffl, Manning and both goalies. There will be tons of money left to re-sign him, with or without Tavares.

I agree though, Tavares makes us a legit contender almost instantly. I say almost only because our defense is still young. We would be set everywhere else.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would give him $12 million in salary for a couple seasons, but to have his contract average out to $12 million per season makes him the highest cap hit in the Nhl by $1.5 million until McDavid's extension begins next season. I'd go that high if I absolutely had to, but he has to understand that we need money elsewhere to build a powerhouse team around him too.

The cap is $75 million and to have one guy take up $12 million could sting a little. He's worth it though...Lol

That's the thing though. The Flyers don't need the money elsewhere to build a powerhouse. That's why having the prospects/rookies/young guys that they Flyers have is such a good plan. Say you give him 12 for 7 years.

Tavares 12 (2025)
Giroux 8.275 (2022)
Voracek 8.250 (2024)
Couturier 4.3 (2023)
Ghost 4.5 (2023)
Provorov 7 (2026)

Total: 44.3 mil (4 fwds, 2 d)

There's the backbone of your team through 2022. Worst case cap they're talking about for next year is $78 mil. That should go up from there. With Myers, Lindblom, Hart, Morin, Vecchione, Frost, Allison, Sanheim, Hagg, Rubtsov, and Vorobyev, plus two more first rounders this year out there as ELC replacements, or RFA re-signings on bridge deals, the Flyers can fill out their roster with good, cheap, cost controlled talent for the next 4-5 years.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soooo hysterical that both of you are wanting the high priced free agent now where as the WHOLE summer i argued for keeping Schenn and both of you guys were HUGE on the youth movement because Schenn's contract was too much at 5 million and saying in a few years all of our forwards will be ready with our young defense and our goalie in place we will be winning the cup. Crazy how that went away in a hurry.

The difference between Schenn and Tavares is IMMENSE. I do it for Tavares, the other guys (Kane, JvR, Neal, etc) can go pound sand. They'll be overpriced and not worth it.

As I've said a bunch of times, Tavares is the difference between playoff bubble and Cup contender. The rest of those guys, Schenn included, just make them a probably playoff team.

You break the bank for the right players. Schenn isn't even close to the right player. He's probably a top 50 forward, Tavares is a top 15 forward.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Schenn got plugged into a perfect situation in St. Louis and he's having success. I'm not ready to anoint him the next Ryan Getzlaf because he is taking advantage of it through 35 lousy games. His very best in Philly was 26 goals and 59 points. Do you think he's an elite guy based off of those numbers?

I am just more enthusiastic about what we got for Schenn and what we can do with his eventual free cap space than I am about Schenn himself.

His contract looks a lot better now with the pace he's on while between Schwartz and Tarasenko. That's really not surprising. More playing time, better linemates, much better defense and team, you're probably going to put up more points.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the thing though. The Flyers don't need the money elsewhere to build a powerhouse. That's why having the prospects/rookies/young guys that they Flyers have is such a good plan. Say you give him 12 for 7 years.

Tavares 12 (2025)
Giroux 8.275 (2022)
Voracek 8.250 (2024)
Couturier 4.3 (2023)
Ghost 4.5 (2023)
Provorov 7 (2026)

There's the backbone of your team through 2022. Worst case cap they're talking about for next year is $78 mil. That should go up from there. With Myers, Lindblom, Hart, Morin, Vecchione, Frost, Allison, Sanheim, Hagg, Rubtsov, and Vorobyev, plus two more first rounders this year out there as ELC replacements, or RFA re-signings on bridge deals, the Flyers can fill out their roster with good, cheap, cost controlled talent for the next 4-5 years.

Yes, that's very well laid out. I'm not going to argue it, but you would have to wonder what guys like Hagg, Sanheim, Patrick and Konecny would be making. It's probably feasible. 15-17 more guys need to be signed in addition to the $44.3 million though and still stay under the cap. So, probably at least 8-10 of them would have to be entry level contracts. That's a few more than we have now, which is very possible.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schenn got plugged into a perfect situation in St. Louis and he's having success. I'm not ready to anoint him the next Ryan Getzlaf because he is taking advantage of it through 35 lousy games. His very best in Philly was 26 goals and 59 points. Do you think he's an elite guy based off of those numbers?

I am just more enthusiastic about what we got for Schenn and what we can do with his eventual free cap space than I am about Schenn himself.

His contract looks a lot better now with the pace he's on while between Schwartz and Tarasenko. That's really not surprising. More playing time, better linemates, much better defense and team, you're probably going to put up more points.
So what your saying here is that Schwartz and Tarasenko are twice as good as Gee (your fav) and Jake.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soooo hysterical how you two guys flip flopped on the youth and are looking to sign the high priced free agent. I cant stop laughing at this.:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soooo hysterical how you two guys flip flopped on the youth and are looking to sign the high priced free agent. I cant stop laughing at this.:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:

We didn't though? We consider Tavares to be an upgrade over Schenn. If waiting a season and paying $7 mil extra is what it takes, so be it. The contract statuses, primarily of Filpula, Lehtera, Simmonds, and Read, change the story from Summer of 17 to Summer of 18.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again Taveras at 10-12 million is not a better deal for us than Schenn at 5 million period
I have always been a Schenn fan, but the team with Tavesas at 10-12 million is better than the team with Schenn at $5 million.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tavares 12 (2025)
Giroux 8.275 (2022)
Voracek 8.250 (2024)
Couturier 4.3 (2023)
Ghost 4.5 (2023)
Provorov 7 (2026)

This is not a cup winning formula nor would prov take less than 9 million per as he is way more important to this team that Gee and Jake.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always been a Schenn fan, but the team with Tavesas at 10-12 million is better than the team with Schenn at $5 million.
Chy you are out of your mind if you think Saveras is better for this team at 10-12 million than Schenn at 5 million

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We didn't though? We consider Tavares to be an upgrade over Schenn. If waiting a season and paying $7 mil extra is what it takes, so be it. The contract statuses, primarily of Filpula, Lehtera, Simmonds, and Read, change the story from Summer of 17 to Summer of 18.
Taveras IS an upgrade over Schenn that isnt at question, the question is is taveras better for this team at 10-12 million than Schenn is a 5 million and in the summer you guys wanted that 5 million off the books so bad because you said we were going to the youth and now your looking to sign a high priced free agent. Its such a Flip flop.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what your saying here is that Schwartz and Tarasenko are twice as good as Gee (your fav) and Jake.

Last season, they probably were. Giroux and Voracek both had down years (that is no secret), which has been shown as an aberration though so far this season AND also in many previous seasons.

Since when was Schenn centering Giroux and Voracek anyway? You're comparing the top line of St. Louis to some mythical line that we didn't use. Schenn played up and down our roster, but he never centered the top line with wingers as talented or elite as Tarasenko and Schwartz.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taveras IS an upgrade over Schenn that isnt at question, the question is is taveras better for this team at 10-12 million than Schenn is a 5 million and in the summer you guys wanted that 5 million off the books so bad because you said we were going to the youth and now your looking to sign a high priced free agent. Its such a Flip flop.

We're not just going to send out a team that is $10-20 million below the cap ceiling every year once we lose garbage deals. You might as well fill that space with high-end, franchise-type talent when you can. You know, the type of talent that Brayden Schenn is not. He had 6 seasons here to figure it out and according to Hexy, he never really did, so we got the absolute most that we could for him. I can live with that, especially with Morgan Frost tearing up the OHL and another 1st round pick on the way this summer, plus the extra cap space in two seasons.

You don't call players of the caliber of Tavares high-priced talent, you call them your franchise guy. Why? It doesn't fucking matter what you're paying them, they are worth it.