• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2018!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schenn 38 points 5 million

Taveras 42 points 10-12 million

6 years of Schenn would've been much better.

Lol I'm sorry, but Schenn isn't half the player that Tavares is. I don't care what the stats for less than half of one season say. Besides, Schenn is suddenly on the top line of a powerhouse team while Tavares is carrying just a mediocre team. You can't compare the two straight-up this season as if they are equal level talents.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put Schenn on a line with Bailey and Lee, give him the Isles' defense and goaltending and see if he can reproduce what Tavares is doing this season...or any other for that matter. Not a chance in hell.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put Schenn on a line with Bailey and Lee, give him the Isles' defense and goaltending and see if he can reproduce what Tavares is doing this season...or any other for that matter. Not a chance in hell.
I'm not so sure it's all Tavares on that line as both Lee and Bailey almost have the same stats as Tavares, Lee has most goals- Bailey is a good set up player too, Their top line is way better than the Blues.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol I'm sorry, but Schenn isn't half the player that Tavares is. I don't care what the stats for less than half of one season say. Besides, Schenn is suddenly on the top line of a powerhouse team while Tavares is carrying just a mediocre team. You can't compare the two straight-up this season as if they are equal level talents.
Again all your theories are based on offensive stats only. Schenn offensively is 100% more than half the player Taveras is and is an all around player where as Taveras can only play an offensive game.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see that but unfortunately i dont make the trades for st Louis and isles.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure it's all Tavares on that line as both Lee and Bailey almost have the same stats as Tavares, Lee has most goals- Bailey is a good set up player too, Their top line is way better than the Blues.
Excellent post. Im from NY and watch the Isles a lot and i know that your observation is true.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again all your theories are based on offensive stats only. Schenn offensively is 100% more than half the player Taveras is and is an all around player where as Taveras can only play an offensive game.
Not to mention Schenn make only 5 million and 2 years younger where as Taveras will be making 10-12 million, again 10-12 million.To trade Schenn away to do that is just plain idiotic.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent post. Im from NY and watch the Isles a lot and i know that your observation is true.
Plus I believe the top guy on Schenns line is supposed to be Tarasenko, who has almost twice as many shots as Schenn and fewer points, quality over quantity lol.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take Tarasenko and Schwartz over Bailey and Lee any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Bailey is a nice player and Lee is having a career season, but those guys aren't even close to what St. Louis has.

The Islanders are in trouble without Tavares. St. Louis was tied for 5th in the west without Schenn last season.

Tarasenko is a 40 goal, 75 point guy. Not many of those in the Nhl from year to year.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to note however, I would take Tavares in a trade deal for Simmonds in a heartbeat, No doubt he has more offensive upside but we have and would lose a lot of grit. We would have to become a high scoring team because we are lacking size a lot of places and yes, it does matter.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus I believe the top guy on Schenns line is supposed to be Tarasenko, who has almost twice as many shots as Schenn and fewer points, quality over quantity lol.

He's not supposed to be the top guy, he is the top guy. Tarasenko is an absolute stud and has been for awhile. He has been averaging about 40 goals, 75 points and 280 shots over the past 3 seasons. Not many guys do that. Ovechkin, Stamkos, Crosby, Kucherov and maybe Marchand. Add in Kane and Benn a couple seasons ago. Only Tavares and Matthews have really been close recently. Nobody else does that and I went back several seasons to check.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not supposed to be the top guy, he is the top guy. Tarasenko is an absolute stud and has been for awhile. He has been averaging about 40 goals, 75 points and 280 shots over the past 3 seasons. Not many guys do that. Ovechkin, Stamkos, Crosby, Kucherov and maybe Marchand. Add in Kane and Benn a couple seasons ago. Only Tavares and Matthews have really been close recently. Nobody else does that and I went back several seasons to check.
Lol this just makes his stats less in my mind? He has almost twice as many shots as schenn does now lol and less points? Fuck if all players shot this many times I would hope like hell they could at least amass this many goals. You're rezally pushing the envelope with this comparison, sorry.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schwartz is out right now for the Blues with an ankle injury long term. Take good, long look at how well they did with him compared to how well they do without him. You will see a trend. They've already lost 3 of 5 since he got hurt, so that's a big hint.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can post all the stats you want. There is no way you can justify paying Taveras twice as much as Schenn because he is no where near twice as good.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree strongly with Tavares and Schenn even being comparable.

Tavares - 621gp, 254g, 325a, 579 points (.93ppg)
Schenn - 468gp, 125g, 161a, 289 points (.61ppg)

Plus Tavares is averaging 1:48 shorthanded this year (4th among forwards on the Isles, 2nd PK group minutes) and Schenn is averaging 0:37 (9th among forwards on the Isles, spot PK duty). Tavares is a responsible defensive forward that's heavily relied on to do that job, in addition to being a better offensive weapon than Schenn.

You might have point in terms of salary and age, but Tavares is so much better than Schenn we shouldn't even be having this discussion. I'm shocked honestly.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can post all the stats you want. There is no way you can justify paying Taveras twice as much as Schenn because he is no where near twice as good.

Tavares makes the players around him better. He is a flat-out franchise player. Schenn isn't that guy and won't be. That's enough to justify it for me.

Btw, these guys are only one year apart in age, so that's a non-factor.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That logic is crazy and you know it. Is Giroux twice the player Simmonds is? Because based on salary that's how it should work. Same for Voracek. AMac and Schenn are equivalent then. And McDavid is worth almost 3 Couturier's.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franchise players get franchise money. That's why Tavares is worth 12 mil and Schenn isn't. Schenn is a good top 6 player, Tavares can carry a franchise (and has done so for the Isles since he was drafted).

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm worked up again. I can't believe you would even say you'd take Schenn over Tavares let alone actually believe that.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree strongly with Tavares and Schenn even being comparable.

Tavares - 621gp, 254g, 325a, 579 points (.93ppg)
Schenn - 468gp, 125g, 161a, 289 points (.61ppg)

Plus Tavares is averaging 1:48 shorthanded this year (4th among forwards on the Isles, 2nd PK group minutes) and Schenn is averaging 0:37 (9th among forwards on the Isles, spot PK duty). Tavares is a responsible defensive forward that's heavily relied on to do that job, in addition to being a better offensive weapon than Schenn.

You might have point in terms of salary and age, but Tavares is so much better than Schenn we shouldn't even be having this discussion. I'm shocked honestly.

Like I just said, age is not even a factor. And for salary, at this very moment, Tavares is only making slightly more. They will both be due a raise, but Tavares will get it a couple seasons sooner and he's also earned a much bigger paycheck here based on his track record as an 80 point guy on an average to mediocre team.