• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2018!

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are officially bound to the US until after the season :nod: :D
You know what's funny. We flew out of Toronto into Iceland. I told my son that we were very close to the North Pole and he may see Santa's Wonderland lit up and he wanted to parachute out 36k up in the air (lol). I didn't like the feeling looking out from over the clouds that high up. The cool thing was on our way back we could see the glacier fields in Greenland. That was some amazing shit to see. I want to spend a few nights in Greenland and Iceland next year possibly.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A different voice saying the same thing doesn't make us have the cup any faster. In 2019 we you will push it back another few years and so on and son on.
yeah, that's not what's being said at all. I don't think many on here can grasp the hell homer put this franchise in in terms of salary cap and lack of prospects. It takes years to rectify that type of buffoonery.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what's funny. We flew out of Toronto into Iceland. I told my son that we were very close to the North Pole and he may see Santa's Wonderland lit up and he wanted to parachute out 36k up in the air (lol). I didn't like the feeling looking out from over the clouds that high up. The cool thing was on our way back we could see the glacier fields in Greenland. That was some amazing shit to see. I want to spend a few nights in Greenland and Iceland next year possibly.
That's sounds awesome and a little scary. I hope your son believed you about Santa's wonderland, man those are the best times in life when you still believe in Santa.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's sounds awesome and a little scary. I hope your son believed you about Santa's wonderland, man those are the best times in life when you still believe in Santa.
He does and he is 11. The thing that we have today that we didn't have back when we were kids is that the software that is out that has Santa saying the child's name and knows everything about the kid and what he wants (thanks to us filling in the blanks), but it answers any doubts from his friends from school telling him he isn't real. My older brother blew it for me when I was probably 9-10? I love it that he still believes, it makes Xmas that much more special for me and the wife.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does and he is 11. The thing that we have today that we didn't have back when we were kids is that the software that is out that has Santa saying the child's name and knows everything about the kid and what he wants (thanks to us filling in the blanks), but it answers any doubts from his friends from school telling him he isn't real. My older brother blew it for me when I was probably 9-10? I love it that he still believes, it makes Xmas that much more special for me and the wife.

what do you mean still believes? is santa not real!? :eek:

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they-re-shitty-o.gif

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A different voice saying the same thing doesn't make us have the cup any faster. In 2019 we you will push it back another few years and so on and son on.

How can you know I will say that? I've been saying it for a couple years, because they needed a couple years. They had no prospects and no cap space when Hextall took over.

1. He started by drafting defenders and goalies (2013), who typically take longer. Now we have Provorov, Sanheim, Hagg, Ghost in the NHL, Morin and Myers on the way. Hart and Sandstrom both look like high end goalie prospects.

2. Then he started drafting high end forwards which typically develop faster (2015). Konecny, Patrick, Frost, Allison, Laberge, Rubtsov, Lindblom. A lot of them look like quality players that can supplement a still prime-aged Giroux, Voracek, Couturier, and Simmonds.

3. Then he started preparing for the post-ELC contracts for his key players (2015), like Provorov, Konecny, Sanheim, and Patrick. By moving out long term contracts for non-essential players like B Schenn, Lecavalier, L Schenn, Grossmann, Pronger, Coburn. Those guys were signed through 2020, 2018, 2016, 2016, 2017, and 2019.

4. (2017-19) Wait for the aforementioned players to grow and for the contracts you don't like, Lehtera, Read, Fillpula, MacDonald, to expire (or you find a taker for them).

5a. Reap the benefits of having a team comprised of star players like Giroux, Voracek, and Couturier, plus super-star potential players on RFA agreed to contracts (cheaper) like Patrick and Provorov, plus an influx of young, high potential, talent like Frost, Allison, Rubtsov, Lindblom to fill out your depth positions at forward for pennies (on ELC). (2019+)

5b. Assess where your team is weak and where it is strong, which we all expect to be defense and forwards respectively. Make a move with that young talent to balance out your team. Make a trade like Adam Larsson for Taylor Hall. Or Luke Schenn for JVR. Or Shayne Gostisbehere for Mitch Marner. Trade away 1st round picks for overpriced veterans to get over the hump.

5c. Compete for the Stanley Cup for 5+ years.

There's a method to the madness. And I believe in it. I think it's the right way to do it. When you get in to the playoffs anything can happen, including watching a team that went all in for 1 run at the cup getting swept in the first round by the 8 seed. I'd rather wait a few years for 5+ chances at it.

Last edited:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Hextall starts moving guys like Gostisbehere, Konecny, Provorov, Hagg, etc. for picks and prospects, then I'll get frustrated and concerned he's just gunna kick the can down the road forever. But Brayden Schenn, no.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hextall messed up the Weiss situation badly. And the extension for AMac was bad. Other than that I honestly think I like every thing else he's done.

edit: Not sure I like the Hakstol hire.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can you know I will say that? I've been saying it for a couple years, because they needed a couple years. They had no prospects and no cap space when Hextall took over.

1. He started by drafting defenders and goalies (2013), who typically take longer. Now we have Provorov, Sanheim, Hagg, Ghost in the NHL, Morin and Myers on the way. Hart and Sandstrom both look like high end goalie prospects.

2. Then he started drafting high end forwards which typically develop faster (2015). Konecny, Patrick, Frost, Allison, Laberge, Rubtsov, Lindblom. A lot of them look like quality players that can supplement a still prime-aged Giroux, Voracek, Couturier, and Simmonds.

3. Then he started preparing for the post-ELC contracts for his key players (2015), like Provorov, Konecny, Sanheim, and Patrick. By moving out long term contracts for non-essential players like B Schenn, Lecavalier, L Schenn, Grossmann, Pronger, Coburn. Those guys were signed through 2020, 2018, 2016, 2016, 2017, and 2019.

4. (2017-19) Wait for the aforementioned players to grow and for the contracts you don't like, Lehtera, Read, Fillpula, MacDonald, to expire (or you find a taker for them).

5a. Reap the benefits of having a team comprised of star players like Giroux, Voracek, and Couturier, plus super-star potential players on RFA agreed to contracts (cheaper) like Patrick and Provorov, plus an influx of young, high potential, talent like Frost, Allison, Rubtsov, Lindblom to fill out your depth positions at forward for pennies (on ELC). (2019+)

5b. Assess where your team is weak and where it is strong, which we all expect to be defense and forwards respectively. Make a move with that young talent to balance out your team. Make a trade like Adam Larsson for Taylor Hall. Or Luke Schenn for JVR. Or Shayne Gostisbehere for Mitch Marner. Trade away 1st round picks for overpriced veterans to get over the hump.

5c. Compete for the Stanley Cup for 5+ years.

There's a method to the madness. And I believe in it. I think it's the right way to do it. When you get in to the playoffs anything can happen, including watching a team that went all in for 1 run at the cup getting swept in the first round by the 8 seed. I'd rather wait a few years for 5+ chances at it.
Ive heard all of this through every GM ive been alive for and we still dont have a cup since 75 so to keep pointing this stuff out is not helping us win a cup until we actually do.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simmer must have a nagging injury. He doesn't look the same as he did earlier this season. It's a shame Morin has been injured. It would have been good to have him in against some of the bigger teams in the west.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THERE IS NO TIME! (if you listen to some members here...)
You can name me, I'm not a little bitch and you def wont hurt my feelings by calling me out, because I stick by my statement. If anyone believes in a 3 to whatever plan of competing in a world of highly skilled professional ,athletes, where owners have millions invested is plain crazy. Stockpiling good prospects is one thing, having a good team is another. I've seen so many teams over the years with 2-3 stars and a whole plethera of blue collar guys win. It would be nice to have an all star cast of a team but it will never be like that cause of money.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like you had an awesome time, I envy you in being able to travel, I was hoping to start doing some and move towards retirement but my new baby girl has rid me of that fantasy.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading Konecny is crazy IMO. He's 20. He costs 900k per year and plays in your top 6 most nights. He's on pace for 30 points shooting 5% (leage avg is 9%). If his shooting percentage alone were league average, he's at 44 point pace this year. In line with guys like E. Kane, Jordan Staal, Marian Hossa, Jagr, D. Sedin, RNH, Hornqvist. Some of those guys are just overpaid, but all of them make millions more than Konecny. Plus he's the only person outside the top line and PP1 that even generates opportunities let alone chances. There's literally 0 reason to trade Konecny.
I will take your word for it, I'll see if you are correct at the end of the year.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe he was referring to weeks not years.
It don't matter, I get the feeling some fans watch just because it;s hockey, if waiting around years for a good team to emerge is the new norm than somebody email in 2020 to start watching meaningful games lol.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time I look here I always see to guests lurking, don't be shy, sign up and conversate, obviously you are Flyer fans?

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hextall messed up the Weiss situation badly. And the extension for AMac was bad. Other than that I honestly think I like every thing else he's done.

edit: Not sure I like the Hakstol hire.
Here is my other issue with the plan. When do you start introducing these younger players to Hakstols system? If you keep waiting then the window keeps getting extended because the synergy never happens(IMO) and I;m with you on Hakstol, so then if he doesn't work out then you need another coach and a whole other system has to be learned, I still say if it's the future were living for then lets start getting these kids seasoned now.