• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 49ers vs Seahawks: THANKSGIVING NIGHT Week 12

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK I will. When Pete traded away RW the plan obviously was to rebuild and since they traded away their QB they would need to find their future QB in the draft. First draft (post RW) there wasn't any good candidates in the draft, so Pete did the right thing and passed entirely on the QB position and drafted BPA. When your first rebuilding this is the best course and Pete/John did a great job in the draft. Then disaster struck. The team played way better than expected and Geno had a freak streak where he played over his head against some shoddy defenses and Pete decided they could win with Geno at QB. :L Now when this rebuild started the plan wasn't to build around the backup QB, who was a journeymen for his entire career and was in his thirty's. However Pete loves taking shortcuts and convinced himself that they could build around Geno and use that early pick on another position and speed up building the roster. :gaah:In truth the roster wasn't ready yet and going with Geno was almost certain to blow up in his face and it has. Trading next years second for a rent a player is another Petes "lets take a shortcut" move that usually backfires on him.
Now I think it's obvious to all of us that finding the QB of the future should of been priory #1, instead we will go into next years draft drafting semi late at best and no second round pick and no QB of the future to try to develop. I will say they drafted well last spring (2023 draft) (minus finding a future QB). Losing both tackles to injuries (who were the cornerstone of the OL) and deciding to replace some OL that started in 2022 for new guys didn't help establishing any cohesion for the OL this year and Geno isn't the QB to do well under these circumstances.

I'm not sure what Pete is going to do, but with all the shortcuts he's tried at the expense of building a core foundation through the draft I think there is a good chance he hangs it up.

Every single head coach wants to win now. Even moreso when they are 70+ years old. I guess I don't understand what people thought they were going to get with Pete after we traded Russ.

You and I have gone back and forth on this but I still think you are too myopic about it. I know a lot of fans are pointing to CJ Stroud and saying that we should have gone after him. Hindsight is a helluva drug. First off, he was already gone when we drafted. Secondly, it's unlikely that we could have traded for him. Lastly, we don't know whether he will be a good QB or no.

FTR, I think the Williams trade was a good trade and we will resign him. But if we don't he will likely go somewhere else and help us nab a 3rd round pick anyway.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK I will. When Pete traded away RW the plan obviously was to rebuild and since they traded away their QB they would need to find their future QB in the draft. First draft (post RW) there wasn't any good candidates in the draft, so Pete did the right thing and passed entirely on the QB position and drafted BPA. When your first rebuilding this is the best course and Pete/John did a great job in the draft. Then disaster struck. The team played way better than expected and Geno had a freak streak where he played over his head against some shoddy defenses and Pete decided they could win with Geno at QB. :L Now when this rebuild started the plan wasn't to build around the backup QB, who was a journeymen for his entire career and was in his thirty's. However Pete loves taking shortcuts and convinced himself that they could build around Geno and use that early pick on another position and speed up building the roster. :gaah:In truth the roster wasn't ready yet and going with Geno was almost certain to blow up in his face and it has. Trading next years second for a rent a player is another Petes "lets take a shortcut" move that usually backfires on him.
Now I think it's obvious to all of us that finding the QB of the future should of been priory #1, instead we will go into next years draft drafting semi late at best and no second round pick and no QB of the future on the roster. I will say they drafted well last spring (2023 draft) (minus finding a future QB). Losing both tackles to injuries (who were the cornerstone of the OL) and deciding to replace some OL that started in 2022 for new guys didn't help establishing any cohesion for the OL this year and Geno isn't the QB to do well under these circumstances.

I'm not sure what Pete is going to do, but with all the shortcuts he's tried at the expense of building a core foundation through the draft I think there is a good chance he hangs it up.
Yeah, Pete has been amazing for Seattle, but it’s getting to be time, all good things come to an end and I think his run in Seattle is coming to its conclusion.. I was never happy with Pete expecting Geno to suddenly be that guy, he’s done better than we all expected, but you can see his mental inconsistency all the time…

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every single head coach wants to win now. Even moreso when they are 70+ years old. I guess I don't understand what people thought they were going to get with Pete after we traded Russ.

You and I have gone back and forth on this but I still think you are too myopic about it. I know a lot of fans are pointing to CJ Stroud and saying that we should have gone after him. Hindsight is a helluva drug. First off, he was already gone when we drafted. Secondly, it's unlikely that we could have traded for him. Lastly, we don't know whether he will be a good QB or no.

FTR, I think the Williams trade was a good trade and we will resign him. But if we don't he will likely go somewhere else and help us nab a 3rd round pick anyway.
RW was fading and trading him for a haul was 100% the right move. Of course finding a franchise QB is a hit and miss adventure and often it takes years of trying to find him, but in the Seahawks case it was necessary to seek that franchise QB. No way were the Seahawks going anywhere with RW ( see the Broncos as proof). I absolutely believe Pete was planning on trying to find that QB in the draft but got swayed by Geno’s freak career streak and thinking how great it would be if it wasn’t necessary to try to draft that franchise QB and instead focus on the rest of the roster.
Despite my complaints I feel Pete can coach, he just gets impatient to build a roster up and does moves to that are basically shortcuts and those moves usually don’t work out for him. Heck this year is looking bad yet the team may end up with 9 wins. Pete’s teams are rarely plum awful, which actually works against building through the draft.
I doubt Williams reaps the Seahawks a third and if it reaps anything it won be until 2025 at best. I’d rather have that 2024 second.
Not to worry, you’ll get your wish to have Pete quit coaching soon enough. You’ve heard the phrase Careful what you wish for?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Thought you guys were at least decent on defense despite the score. Defense got 0 help from the offense and you're not going to beat the 9ers offense if you don't pressure them out of the run game.

Geno always looks lost against the 9ers D. Feels like if he's getting pressure he gives up and just waits to be sacked. He can sprinkle a string of nice plays but seems like a matter of time before the wheels fall off.

Still between the 4 games out the Geno era Hawks this might have been the worst I've seen them play.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought you guys were at least decent on defense despite the score. Defense got 0 help from the offense and you're not going to beat the 9ers offense if you don't pressure them out of the run game.

Geno always looks lost against the 9ers D. Feels like if he's getting pressure he gives up and just waits to be sacked. He can sprinkle a string of nice plays but seems like a matter of time before the wheels fall off.

Still between the 4 games out the Geno era Hawks this might have been the worst I've seen them play.
Geno folds like a cheap suit if you get pressure on him, it’s a mental thing with him and it’s why he was a backup for so many uears … He’s also not good at going through progressions, he tends to lock onto one recever, so if his primary target isn’t open it usually trouble …

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers showing domination again.they,ll probably play philly again for the nfc chapionship.
Definitely, 49rs and Eagles are the 2 best teams in the NFC .. Outside chance goes to Dallas or Detroit … I like Detroit overall despite struggling a little lately, still think they end strong …

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RW was fading and trading him for a haul was 100% the right move. Of course finding a franchise QB is a hit and miss adventure and often it takes years of trying to find him, but in the Seahawks case it was necessary to seek that franchise QB. No way were the Seahawks going anywhere with RW ( see the Broncos as proof). I absolutely believe Pete was planning on trying to find that QB in the draft but got swayed by Geno’s freak career streak and thinking how great it would be if it wasn’t necessary to try to draft that franchise QB and instead focus on the rest of the roster.
Despite my complaints I feel Pete can coach, he just gets impatient to build a roster up and does moves to that are basically shortcuts and those moves usually don’t work out for him. Heck this year is looking bad yet the team may end up with 9 wins. Pete’s teams are rarely plum awful, which actually works against building through the draft.
I doubt Williams reaps the Seahawks a third and if it reaps anything it won be until 2025 at best. I’d rather have that 2024 second.
Not to worry, you’ll get your wish to have Pete quit coaching soon enough. You’ve heard the phrase Careful what you wish for?

What's done is done. And it's not that I'm desperately looking for a new head coach. But whether it is this year or next year or the year after, Pete is at the end of his great career. We are going to need to find a new head coach. And that is no small task either. Not as hard as finding a premier QB but also not easy.

There are a lot of things that Pete does really well. But at some point we have to realize that the team keeps having the same problems, year after year.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that was pretty much the turd sandwich we all expected. A few things that I came away with:
  • The most ironic play of the game for me was the jet sweep to Dee Eskridge that resulted in the offense's lone first down of the first half. The play that we thought we would see more of in this offense *finally* executed and by a guy who has given us jack and squat since being drafted in the 2nd round 3 seasons ago. Eskridge actually touched the ball a handful of times and didn't get injured, so that's remarkable.
  • Still can't see Waldron back as OC next year. This offense is so dysfunctional, and it showed up in many ways last night with 3rd down futility, red zone failures, and mistakes that would be funny if another team had made them. This offense is 30th in 3rd downs at 31%, about 5 points better than what the 1992 team did while featuring one of the worst offenses in NFL history. It's just too broken to be fixed by the person who's participated in the breaking. 7 straight quarters now with no offensive TD?
  • We had a chance to really get back in this game in the 2nd half when we were driving and down by 14. You get a TD at the end of that drive, and now you have tons of momentum at home in a 1 score game with the whole 4th quarter left. As it happened, the offense came up small in the red zone, settled for 3 to be down by 11, and that was as close as we got.
  • D had some tackling issues (lots of teams do vs SF) but overall stood up ok despite being hung out to dry time and again by the offense. When they are healthy, I just think SF has too many weapons to hold off for 4 quarters. Glad to see Jordyn Brooks rewarded with a scoring opportunity for how well he's played this year.
Sucks to see your team beaten soundly in prime time, but at least it's out of the way and we can just enjoy a long weekend of football. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Pete has been amazing for Seattle, but it’s getting to be time, all good things come to an end and I think his run in Seattle is coming to its conclusion..
Yeah... Don Schula, Tom Landry, Bill Bellichek, come to mind...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno folds like a cheap suit if you get pressure on him, it’s a mental thing with him and it’s why he was a backup for so many uears … He’s also not good at going through progressions, he tends to lock onto one recever, so if his primary target isn’t open it usually trouble …
Which is a big reason he's targeting Metcalf so much... Metcalf isn't open halftime the time and he's still throwing it to him because it's his first read... 9 targets for DK yesterday, 3 catches (although one was a drop)... 6 targets in the first half - 1 catch... Lockett and Charb had 1 target each...

80 targets for the season, 41 receptions... Not a good ratio at all... Against the Browns, he had 14 targets and only 5 catches... That's part of the reason why we go 3 and out so much... Can't have that kind of inconsistencies...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... Don Schula, Tom Landry, Bill Bellichek, come to mind...

Yup. Sooner or later everything must end. And it is entirely possible that our next coach will be trash. But I don't see a way for Pete to get us to a Super Bowl.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does everyone feel about bringing in harbaugh to be our next coach?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's a good coach but a complete asshole. And I say this as a Michigan fan.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be open to that... I want this team to have some toughness, swag about them once again... More importantly, we need an identity... We absolutely have not had one for a few years now... Each offseason, Pete keeps preaching "I want to focus on running the ball more"... Then we get to the season, we continue with the same thing over and over again... Pass pass pass, run... Pass pass pass run... We passed on 4th and inches yesterday for Petes sake...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how I feel about the idea of Harbaugh being the next HC. One thing I do like about it would be his recency of knowledge with upcoming draft prospects, which is something I think helped Pete nail many picks in those first few drafts after being hired in Seattle.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need an offensive HC and a DC like dan quinn. Harbaugh while personally hard to like, can get the most out of low quality Qbs and can build a running game.

Taking a chance on some young guy like ben johnson doesnt sound like a good idea.