• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers OTAs / Training Camp

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That really sucks

It's starting to look like our "stacked" RB corps is just going to be Gore, Hyde, James, and a rando (Hampton?). That's really not a good corps.
It does suck but Hunter seems to be injury prone and not the real answer to replace Gore...Hyde is. We still have depth at the RB postition. No need to panic.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Losing Hunter sucks as it was sounding like he had gotten his burst back the he lacked in 2013.

Also feel bad for the guy since this was his walk year and that injury potentially cost him a lot of money.

On the team side of things it looks like drafting Hyde was an excellent move. Also likely means LMJ's roster spot is safe as well.

Probably doesn't change Lattimore's status as they will likely continue to work him back slowly into the mix and hope to count on him in 2015.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Kap had a nice 2nd day. Making tons of nice throws. We have so many weapons on offense. Cant wait for the season. I think the D takes a little step back but we should score more this year.

Only if Taylor Price is your lone source. The consensus was that Kap really struggled yesterday.

Chris Biderman of Scout.com:

Headline is "Kaepernick Struggles".

It wasn't a great day for Colin Kaepernick on the practice field.

The 49ers quarterback struggled mightily with his accuracy, often missing open receivers high and wide.

Even in a simple quarterback drill, when the team's five signal callers threw into a net with three targets at varying heights, Kaepernick hit just one target in six throws, bouncing his final toss off the crossbar with a little extra juice.

Grant Cohn:

Headline is "Colin Kaepernick Misses the Mark".

THE NOT-SO-GOOD

1. Colin Kaepernick. He made one good throw during practice – a 20-yard completion to Michael Crabtree in the middle of the field during a seven-on-seven red zone drill. Other than that, Kaepernick was all over the place. He missed Anquan Boldin by five yards in the corner of the end zone during the same red zone drill. Later, Kaepernick rifled a pass over Bruce Miller’s head in the flat. Next, Kaepernick threw a pass five feet over David Reed’s head. Then, Kaepernick overthrew Michael Crabtree deep when he had a step on C.J. Spillman. And that wasn’t the worst of it. Kaepernick participated in an accuracy drill with the other quarterbacks – the coaches set up a net underneath one of the uprights and there were three holes in the net. The quarterbacks had to throw as many passes into the holes as they could. Kaepernick made one of six, and on his final attempt he hit the cross bar, missed the target by a few feet.

Maiocco:

Kaepernick did not complete a high percentage, but his best throw was a 20-yard laser in 7-on-7 drills that he completed to Michael Crabtree at the goal line between the coverage of safeties Craig Dahl and C.J. Spilllman.

Kevin Lynch:

Worst player on the practice field during the 49ers’ second day of training camp? Quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Cut him!
Kaepernick, not known as a stupendous practice player, consistently overthrew receivers and in a drill throwing passes into a net from about 10 paces away, he was one for six. But who cares. It’s July and Kaepernick could be working on a few things this early in camp. Here are a few other notable happenings from practice.

Barrows didn't really weigh in at all.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
SANTA CLARA – Here’s what stood out to me at the 49ers’ first padded practice of training camp.

THE GOOD

1. Tramaine Brock. Broke up three passes today. First, he intercepted Kory Faulkner who was trying to throw to Stevie Johnson. Then, Brock broke up a pass intended for Carlos Hyde. And then, Brock broke up a pass intended for Kassim Osgood.

2. Michael Crabtree. Dropped one pass in the end zone, but he made the catch of the day – a left-handed grab over the middle for a 20-yard gain. He also beat Brock once for a short gain.

3. Stevie Johnson. Dropped one pass near the sideline, but he caught four others, beating Jimmie Ward once, Chris Cook once and Chris Culliver twice.

4. Quinton Patton. Caught five passes during team drills, including a 20-yard touchdown between Eric Reid and Antoine Bethea in a red zone drill. Patton also caught an intermediate passes in front of Tramaine Brock and Chris Cook.

5. Frank Gore. Took a handoff for an outside run, cut it back inside and burst through the hole. Jim Harbaugh was fired up. “That’s the Frank Gore I know!” Harbaugh shouted.

6. Colin Kaepernick. Like yesterday, he missed a couple of deep passes early in practice. He overthrew Michael Crabtree in the corner of the end zone and he overthrew Vernon Davis near the sideline. But Kaepernick threw accurate short passes and accurate check-down passes, although he did not throw them with touch.

7. Tank Carradine. Unblockable during one-on-one drills. Carradine also recorded the only sack of team drills, meaning he was the only person who tagged a quarterback and forced the coaches to blow the whistle and end the play.

8. Bruce Ellington. Caught about 20 punts on a side field while the rest of the team practiced. I didn’t see Ellington drop a single punt. He looks like a natural punt returner.

9. Jimmie Ward. Took some reps with the first team defense for the first time. But he gave up two catches during team drills – one to Stevie Johnson and one to David Reed.

10. David Reed. Caught four passes during team drills. He beat Tramaine Brock on back-to-back plays and, later, Reed beat Ward.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD

1. Chris Cook. Gave up nine catches during team drills. Nine. Didn’t break up one pass. Cook was passive, as opposed to Brock, Ward and Chris Culliver who were physical and competitive. Keep in mind that Marcus Cooper was passive during training camp last year. He played well during the preseason games.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SANTA CLARA – Here’s what stood out to me at the 49ers’ first padded practice of training camp.

THE GOOD

1. Tramaine Brock. Broke up three passes today. First, he intercepted Kory Faulkner who was trying to throw to Stevie Johnson. Then, Brock broke up a pass intended for Carlos Hyde. And then, Brock broke up a pass intended for Kassim Osgood.

2. Michael Crabtree. Dropped one pass in the end zone, but he made the catch of the day – a left-handed grab over the middle for a 20-yard gain. He also beat Brock once for a short gain.

3. Stevie Johnson. Dropped one pass near the sideline, but he caught four others, beating Jimmie Ward once, Chris Cook once and Chris Culliver twice.

4. Quinton Patton. Caught five passes during team drills, including a 20-yard touchdown between Eric Reid and Antoine Bethea in a red zone drill. Patton also caught an intermediate passes in front of Tramaine Brock and Chris Cook.

5. Frank Gore. Took a handoff for an outside run, cut it back inside and burst through the hole. Jim Harbaugh was fired up. “That’s the Frank Gore I know!” Harbaugh shouted.

6. Colin Kaepernick. Like yesterday, he missed a couple of deep passes early in practice. He overthrew Michael Crabtree in the corner of the end zone and he overthrew Vernon Davis near the sideline. But Kaepernick threw accurate short passes and accurate check-down passes, although he did not throw them with touch.

7. Tank Carradine. Unblockable during one-on-one drills. Carradine also recorded the only sack of team drills, meaning he was the only person who tagged a quarterback and forced the coaches to blow the whistle and end the play.

8. Bruce Ellington. Caught about 20 punts on a side field while the rest of the team practiced. I didn’t see Ellington drop a single punt. He looks like a natural punt returner.

9. Jimmie Ward. Took some reps with the first team defense for the first time. But he gave up two catches during team drills – one to Stevie Johnson and one to David Reed.

10. David Reed. Caught four passes during team drills. He beat Tramaine Brock on back-to-back plays and, later, Reed beat Ward.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD

1. Chris Cook. Gave up nine catches during team drills. Nine. Didn’t break up one pass. Cook was passive, as opposed to Brock, Ward and Chris Culliver who were physical and competitive. Keep in mind that Marcus Cooper was passive during training camp last year. He played well during the preseason games.

Vic Fangio had alot of good things to say about Culliver's play.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Unblockable" being used to describe Tank is a really good sign IMO. If he's an impact player I think that might be the difference for this team (assuming Aldon plays most of the season at a high level and Justin Smith is still good)

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crabs is going off this year. Just watch.

I agree. I love the guy. I just know he went in this offseason to be in the best shape he has ever been in. Taking that Richard Sherman thing very personal.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I love the guy. I just know he went in this offseason to be in the best shape he has ever been in. Taking that Richard Sherman thing very personal.

Hopefully it did motivate him. I am glad that neither he nor Kaepernick responded to it

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Totally. Plus, Kaep and Crabs really clicked in 2012 before Crabs got injured. And now Crabs is in the final year of his contract, which will be a huge incentive for him to play at a high level and get a big contract here or somewhere else.

This is going to be the best year of his career.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
injury is one of those things in football, yeah hopefully it isn't the 'season ending' or 'extended period' variety.

no injury is good, but if there is one key spot where we don't want ANY.......CB.