• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers OTAs / Training Camp

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was hard to tell from the angle.

But even better! Obviously I'm rooting more for Cook than Lloyd. Hoping Baalke pulled another extreme CB makeover from another team w/ Cook like he did w/ Rogers. (or was that McClouhgan?)

It was Baalke and I hope so too. I would like to see Cook, Cully & Brock in the slot in nickel that trio could be impressive.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
it'll be more about pressure, and is why Aldon is so huge. Brooks also adds a lot of pressure, but doesn't quite get enough credit.

I'd think Lemonier would take a big step up this season?

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just looked on stub hub for Hawks-Niners tickets......wow! Selling blood starting tomorrow.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yea but it looks like it was a case where the WR couldn't hold on or the defender might've gotten a hand on his facemask to cause the WR to not hold on.

Not a great view, but it looked like the throw was behind the receiver (apparently Johnson?).

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Grant Cohn's report, for those who don't like to give him clicks:

SANTA CLARA — Here’s what stood out to me at the 49ers’ first non-padded training camp practice of the year.

THE GOOD

1. Jimmie Ward. Faced Stevie Johnson once during one-on-one drills. Johnson faked a move to the outside and quickly cut back to the inside but couldn’t shake Ward. Ward ran in front of Johnson and swatted the ball to the grass. Ward played with the second-team defense during team drills and did not give up a completion. On one play, Colin Kaepernick threw a short pass to his left, Chris Cook deflected the ball and Ward dove and picked it off.

2. Vance McDonald. Didn’t drop one pass today. He also made the catch of the day, reaching up and snagging a pass between two defenders near the sideline.

3. Aldon Smith. Kaepernick attempted a short pass to his left and Smith stepped in front of it and easily picked it off.

4. NIck Moody. Kaepernick attempted another short pass to his left. This time Moody stepped in front of it but dropped the ball.

5. Chris Culliver. Started at right cornerback and didn’t give up a completion. But he wasn’t tested on any deep passes.

6. Blaine Gabbert. Threw two perfect deep passes, the first one to David Reed in a one-on-one drill. Reed straight down the sideline and cornerback Kenneth Acker ran with him stride for stride. Gabbert thew the ball perfectly over Reed’s left shoulder so Acker couldn’t get to it, and Reed made the catch. Later during team drills, Gabbert hit a wide open Brandon Lloyd for a deep touchdown.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD

1. Carlos Hyde. Dropped two catchable passes in the flat. He didn’t look the ball into his hands.

2. Tramaine Brock. Got beaten deep by Kassim Osgood in a one-on-one drill. Brock grabbed and held Osgood to prevent him from catching the pass.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grant Cohn's report, for those who don't like to give him clicks:

SANTA CLARA — Here’s what stood out to me at the 49ers’ first non-padded training camp practice of the year.

THE GOOD

1. Jimmie Ward. Faced Stevie Johnson once during one-on-one drills. Johnson faked a move to the outside and quickly cut back to the inside but couldn’t shake Ward. Ward ran in front of Johnson and swatted the ball to the grass. Ward played with the second-team defense during team drills and did not give up a completion. On one play, Colin Kaepernick threw a short pass to his left, Chris Cook deflected the ball and Ward dove and picked it off.

2. Vance McDonald. Didn’t drop one pass today. He also made the catch of the day, reaching up and snagging a pass between two defenders near the sideline.

3. Aldon Smith. Kaepernick attempted a short pass to his left and Smith stepped in front of it and easily picked it off.

4. NIck Moody. Kaepernick attempted another short pass to his left. This time Moody stepped in front of it but dropped the ball.

5. Chris Culliver. Started at right cornerback and didn’t give up a completion. But he wasn’t tested on any deep passes.

6. Blaine Gabbert. Threw two perfect deep passes, the first one to David Reed in a one-on-one drill. Reed straight down the sideline and cornerback Kenneth Acker ran with him stride for stride. Gabbert thew the ball perfectly over Reed’s left shoulder so Acker couldn’t get to it, and Reed made the catch. Later during team drills, Gabbert hit a wide open Brandon Lloyd for a deep touchdown.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD

1. Carlos Hyde. Dropped two catchable passes in the flat. He didn’t look the ball into his hands.

2. Tramaine Brock. Got beaten deep by Kassim Osgood in a one-on-one drill. Brock grabbed and held Osgood to prevent him from catching the pass.

Looks like Gabbert is going to be the future.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Kind of interesting from Taylor Price:

"The Jimmie" (@ward_jimmie) has best training camp debut I've seen in 7 years at #49ersCamp.

Not super significant, but good to hear. Especially after he missed all of the spring ball.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looks like Gabbert is going to be the future.

just good to know Gabbert is starting on the positive.

we already know Kaep isn't good at short passes, so good to see them working on it.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"The Jimmie" (@ward_jimmie) has best training camp debut I've seen in 7 years at #49ersCamp.

Not super significant, but good to hear. Especially after he missed all of the spring ball.

I wonder what constitutes the "best training camp deput".... like how? lol

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good to hear Jimmy Ward off to a good start seeing that secondary is the team's biggest question mark.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just want to go on the record and say Borland is a lock to start. For Fangio to actually praise him means a lot. This is the same guy that said Willis has more to work on when he first joined the 49ers. I think he was hand picked by Fangio in the draft. Can't wait for him to kill it in the preseason and I wasn't high on picking him in the draft.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just want to go on the record and say Borland is a lock to start. For Fangio to actually praise him means a lot. This is the same guy that said Willis has more to work on when he first joined the 49ers. I think he was hand picked by Fangio in the draft. Can't wait for him to kill it in the preseason and I wasn't high on picking him in the draft.

Yeah, Fangio is the opposite of Harbaugh when it comes to talking about players. "He's got a lot of work to do" is basically his mantra.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Is it me or does it seem like every camp opens with the Defense playing "better" than the offense? Since it is typically more reactionary it seems that this would be the expectations for the first week-ish?

Not to be an excuse, but I don't put huge emphasis on incompletes/some picks in the first 7-10 practices. Anyone else feel similar or see/hear the same things it seems year after year?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Is it me or does it seem like every camp opens with the Defense playing "better" than the offense? Since it is typically more reactionary it seems that this would be the expectations for the first week-ish?

Not to be an excuse, but I don't put huge emphasis on incompletes/some picks in the first 7-10 practices. Anyone else feel similar or see/hear the same things it seems year after year?

Ideally you want the offense to win some and the defense to win some in practices.

Offenses tend to be a little slower early on as everybody is getting back into a groove with timing after a long layoff.