• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers OTAs / Training Camp

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He just lost 200 grand for not being at the OTAs if I'm not mistaken. I hope this is just a showing of him wanting a contract for the future and not a holdout for long term. The 9ers don't need this headache when other issues are more important. I agree...win a fucking SB...then bitch about contracts that aren't even ending this new season! :gaah:

To be fair to Davis, it's not his fault they haven't won the super bowl. He's arguably been their best playoff performer, going over 100 yards in four of eight playoff games, and hauling in seven TDs. His playoff numbers, though down a bit this year (and, to be fair, he basically disappeared against Seattle) extrapolate to 1,200 yards and 8 TDs in a season. That's a heck of a showing for a TE.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
For the most part I side with NFL players in terms of contracts because if a team can cut a player if he underperforms to his contract I don't blame a player for wanting a better deal when he outperforms it.

But in these cases like Boone and Davis I can't side with them because don't sign a long term extension and lock yourself up if you feel you might be outperform and be worth more later. To me you're taking the money now at the risk of possibly losing out on more later so don't complain when the Piper wants to be paid.

Yep. A little difference between the two as Boone has vastly outperformed his contract, so I'm more sympathetic to him. But Davis is still one of the best-paid TEs in the game. He's got no cause to gripe.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
He just lost 200 grand for not being at the OTAs if I'm not mistaken. I hope this is just a showing of him wanting a contract for the future and not a holdout for long term. The 9ers don't need this headache when other issues are more important. I agree...win a fucking SB...then bitch about contracts that aren't even ending this new season! :gaah:

Vernon's under contract for 2 more seasons, and he's 30. He has exactly zero leverage.

And I'm not the least bit concerned about him missing OTAs. Of anyone on the team who needs rep's and practice, he's WAY down the list. Veteran players like him missing OTAs is not big deal.

In fact, he's the guy on whom I'd hope the Niners would use the franchise tag for 2016 if Vance McDonald hasn't turned into a great TE by then. This is assuming Aldon gets locked up (no pun intended) to a long-term deal.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair to Davis, it's not his fault they haven't won the super bowl. He's arguably been their best playoff performer, going over 100 yards in four of eight playoff games, and hauling in seven TDs. His playoff numbers, though down a bit this year (and, to be fair, he basically disappeared against Seattle) extrapolate to 1,200 yards and 8 TDs in a season. That's a heck of a showing for a TE.
I'm not saying that VD isn't worth a new deal and I can't blame him for not winning the SB. My comment was more about a team aspect of getting to one goal....winning a SB. The 9ers don't need this crap from players who still have contracts that take them for two more years. In the end he makes top dollar as a TE (low money in that position). How much more money is he looking for to sit out?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'm not worried about Boone or Davis missing time since they'll show when it's mandatory. I'm sure there is an element of wanting to miss work as well to this.

Also their absence is allowing the younger guys who need more reps to get them so it's not like it's a bad thing they are missing OTAs either.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vernon's under contract for 2 more seasons, and he's 30. He has exactly zero leverage.

And I'm not the least bit concerned about him missing OTAs. Of anyone on the team who needs rep's and practice, he's WAY down the list. Veteran players like him missing OTAs is not big deal.

In fact, he's the guy on whom I'd hope the Niners would use the franchise tag for 2016 if Vance McDonald hasn't turned into a great TE by then. This is assuming Aldon gets locked up (no pun intended) to a long-term deal.
I agree about the OTAs. He is the one losing money for not showing up but he doesn't really need to be there. It is the statement he is making about his stance on his contract.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not saying that VD isn't worth a new deal and I can't blame him for not winning the SB. My comment was more about a team aspect of getting to one goal....winning a SB. The 9ers don't need this crap from players who still have contracts that take them for two more years. In the end he makes top dollar as a TE (low money in that position). How much more money is he looking for to sit out?

No argument here, but the reality is that these guys are going to look out for themselves first and foremost. As said, I have almost no sympathy for Davis, who has been very generously compensated. Boone signed a low contract - granted when he was basically still fighting for a roster spot - and has turned into a good starter, so I can understand why he would want more money. Though he had something of a down year this past year. Relatively speaking.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No argument here, but the reality is that these guys are going to look out for themselves first and foremost. As said, I have almost no sympathy for Davis, who has been very generously compensated. Boone signed a low contract - granted when he was basically still fighting for a roster spot - and has turned into a good starter, so I can understand why he would want more money. Though he had something of a down year this past year. Relatively speaking.
I really knew that Boone was looking for a better contract for good reason. The VD issue that I came home to caught me off guard a bit. I know of nobody who saw that coming.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaep probably has the bigger case for griping. Look at his salary vs his peer group. He's at OTAs. I hate it when guys sign a deal and won't live up to it.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaep probably has the bigger case for griping. Look at his salary vs his peer group. He's at OTAs. I hate it when guys sign a deal and won't live up to it.

:agree: especially when they were front loaded contracts. VD you already got paid plus you are still one of the highest paid TE's in the league.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: especially when they were front loaded contracts. VD you already got paid plus you are still one of the highest paid TE's in the league.

Yup, but in order to front his other endeavors, remember that he had people invest in his future earnings...so now he's trying to appease his investors. A bullshit move, especially considering that his contract was front loaded, his actions are pretty bullshit on top of being transparent.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, but in order to front his other endeavors, remember that he had people invest in his future earnings...so now he's trying to appease his investors. A bullshit move, especially considering that his contract was front loaded, his actions are pretty bullshit on top of being transparent.

49ers won't move on this.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
This isn't from OTAs, but I just read that Matt Barrows tweeted Tank Carradine bench pressed 500 pounds back in April. That's with 34 3/4 inch arms! Wow!

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
This isn't from OTAs, but I just read that Matt Barrows tweeted Tank Carradine bench pressed 500 pounds back in April. That's with 34 3/4 inch arms! Wow!

Stop it! I'm already excited about him, and you are making it worse!

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Stop it! I'm already excited about him, and you are making it worse!

p6yJoU.gif

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm interested to see how they bing him along. Probably a rotational player at first? Where do we put him in nickel packages? Maybe he takes Aldon's place while hes out?

I want him playing 2nd and 3rd down. Sub' for JSmith on 2nd down and sub' for RayMac on 3rd. Keep those starters fresh!

If he proves to be better than RayMac by years end (which wouldn't surprise me) and Aaron Lynch shows anything at all (or Dial or even Okoye), then the Niners might want to think about trading RayMac in the offseason. Tons of teams would love to have him, and he's too good to be a backup IMO.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Michael Wilhoite - LB - 49ers

49ers ILB Michael Wilhoite played with the first team during OTAs.

Wilhoite seems to be the front-runner to replace injured NaVorro Bowman, but he will have to hold off rookie Chris Borland and second-year LB Nick Moody. No matter who starts, the 49ers will likely use a rotation until Bowman returns. Bowman is expected to start the year on PUP but should return by midseason.
Source: San Francisco Chronicle

May 31 - 12:06 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Vernon Davis - TE - 49ers

Vernon Davis was non-committal Friday on if he’ll show up for June's minicamp.

"I might be there," Davis said. "It’s mandatory. I probably should. We’ll see." Davis is skipping OTAs due to a contract dispute, forfeiting his $200,000 workout bonus. He would receive $70,000 in fines if he misses mandatory camp. Signed to a five-year extension in 2010, Davis is owed base salaries of $4.7 million and $4.35 million over the next two seasons.
Source: San Francisco Chronicle

May 30 - 7:40 PM