• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers OTAs / Training Camp

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Last edited by a moderator:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lloyd looking good. Great news for 49ers. They have some depth now at the WR position.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
From Grant Cohn. I'm pasting the text so people don't have a to click the link. Though OTAs are the one time I don't mind Cohn as much. I find that the beat writers all kind of have the same stuff; Grant will occasionally have some items that don't otherwise come out.

SANTA CLARA – Here’s what stood out to me at Wednesday afternoon’s OTA.

THE GOOD

1. Brandon Lloyd – He was the only receiver who caught a touchdown during team drills.

2. Quinton Patton – He returned two kickoffs for touchdowns during special teams drills and also caught a deep pass during team drills.

3. Patrick Willis – He intercepted McLeod Bethel-Thompson in the red zone. Bethel-Thompson tried to fire a pass over the middle to a receiver in the end zone. Willis reached up and snatched the pass out of the air.

4. Chris Borland – He intercepted a pass intended for LaMichael James during one-on-one drills.

5. Perrish Cox – He read Colin Kaepernick’s eyes during one play, broke on Kaepernick’s short pass to the outside and dropped it. If Cox had caught it, he would have returned it for a touchdown. Cox also broke up a Kaepernick pass intended for Kassim Osgood in the red zone.

6. Lawrence Okoye – He ran down Daryl Morris and pushed him out of bounds during a kickoff drill. Okoye is 6-6, 304 pounds. Morris is 5-10, 188 pounds.

7. Marcus Lattimore – He ran well in a straight line and made a bunch of pretty catches. During a team drill, he caught a pass in the flat but couldn’t juke Ahmad Brooks.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD

1. McLeod Bethel-Thompson – Threw an interception in the red zone.

2. Blaine Gabbert – Threw a ground ball to Devon Wylie, who was running a deep route near the sideline.

3. Tramaine Brock – Perrish Cox and Chris Cook broke up passes, but Brock didn’t break up any. He gave up a few catches.

THE REST

1. Vernon Davis did not show up for the OTA, which was voluntary. Frank Gore also didn’t show up, and neither did Alex Boone or Carlos Hyde. Stevie Johnson missed practice due to an injury. Chris Culliver stretched with the team but did not participate in position or team drills.

2. The 49ers’ offense did not run one read-option play Wednesday afternoon.

Good/interesting to read the part about Patton returning kickoffs. Maybe we could try him on punts, as well. The more competition we have at that spot, the better.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And a more in-depth article from Grant:

SANTA CLARA – This is about the red zone and the loss of arrogance.

During practice, the 49ers have seemed arrogant since Jim Harbaugh became the head coach three seasons ago. Whenever the media is allowed to watch, the Niners usually do the same things. The basics. I’ve never seen Harbaugh focus a practice on one of the 49ers’ weaknesses. Watching them practice, you’d think they have no weaknesses and have won the past three Super Bowls.

Wednesday afternoon during the second day of the 49ers’ voluntary OTAs, I expected more arrogance.

Wrong.

Wednesday was the most pragmatic open practice of the Harbaugh Era. After the players finished stretching and warming up, they did a brief scrimmage session, 11-on-11. This lasted five minutes tops. Then, most of the team jogged to the north field to practice tackling, while Colin Kaepernick, Anquan Boldin, Michael Crabtree and Brandon Lloyd walked to the south field to practice red-zone offense.

Red-zone offense has been the 49ers’ biggest weakness. If the 49ers offense was better in the red zone, the Niners would have beaten the Seahawks in the NFC championship game last season and the Niners would have beaten the Ravens in the Super Bowl two seasons ago. Both of those games ended with the 49ers offense unable to score a touchdown in the red zone.

Wednesday afternoon, it looked like Kaepernick, Crabtree, Boldin and Lloyd were trying to rectify the end of the Super Bowl against the Ravens. Kaepernick floated pass after pass to the back of the end zone just like he did two years ago, except no defense was on the field. Crabtree dropped two passes during this drill even though no one was covering him. But Lloyd made this drill look easy. He scored imaginary touchdowns every time. After he scored, Kaepernick and Boldin and Crabtree would ask him questions and Lloyd would explain how he did what he did.

About 20 minutes later, the 49ers did a seven-on-seven drill in the red zone, meaning no linemen on the field. Kaepernick missed both throws he attempted. He telegraphed a pass to Kassim Osgood and Perrish Cox easily knocked the ball away. On attempt No. 2, Kaepernick overthrew backup tight end Garrett Celek who was open. Obviously, Kaepernick still needed work in the red zone.

Harbaugh noticed. He ended practice with an 11-on-11 drill in the red zone. Red zone, red zone, red zone. Kaepernick made the play of the day during this drill. He dropped back without staring down a receiver, and then he threw to Lloyd before Lloyd made his break. The pass was perfect. Lloyd made a sliding catch in the front-right corner of the end zone. Touchdown.

After practice, reporters interviewed Harbaugh next to the practice field. I asked if he’s emphasizing red-zone offense this offseason. He nodded. “We’re about 35, 40 percent operating in the red zone in these OTAs. I thought it was good, especially yesterday. Offensively, I don’t know if a ball hit the ground. Today, the defense surged back and had a better day.”

Shortly after Harbaugh’s interview, Kaepernick walked out to the practice field and answered questions.

“That’s something that we know we’ve struggled with here, the red zone,” Kaepernick said. “That’s something that we’re constantly trying to improve. (Lloyd) has had success down there. So, if there is something we can pick up from him – how he runs routes, how he sets things up – that’s something we want to take and try to make it ours.”

What’s so challenging about playing offense in the red zone?

“The confinement of space,” Kaepernick said. “When you’re playing from your own 30, you have 70 yards of field to play with. When you get inside the 10, you have 20 yards. Space is the biggest thing down there.”

Kaepernick is one of the most dangerous quarterbacks in the NFL when he’s at his own 30 yard line. He threatens every square inch of the field with his speed and his rocket arm. When he gets into the red zone and there aren’t many square inches to threaten, he’s not so dangerous. His legs and his rocket arm can’t help him anymore.

I asked Kaepernick how he can improve his own play in the red zone. Last year, he probably would have deflected the question by saying he tries to get better at everything. Not this year. He knows exactly what he needs to improve.

“Clean up little things,” said Kaepernick, “Whether it is footwork, whether it is making quicker decisions – those are the types of things I want to improve on to make this offense more efficient.”

Ding ding ding! Perfect answer. When the field shrinks, he can’t wait for receivers to get open and then muscle passes to them. He needs to anticipate the openings. And Kaepernick knows it.

Good start.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“Clean up little things,” said Kaepernick, “Whether it is footwork, whether it is making quicker decisions – those are the types of things I want to improve on to make this offense more efficient.”

LOL

:suds:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Davis holding out for a new contract?

49ers make Vernon Davis NFL's highest-paid tight end | ProFootballTalk

Kind of pisses me off, frankly. In 2010, we made him the highest-paid TE in the league. At least get to the last year of your contract before pushing for a new one. I'm interested to see what happens with Staley, too. He's signed I think for four more years, and his numbers bump up in the next few, but at present he's grossly underpaid. Hoping our guys who are under contract don't make a habit of making a fuss about their contracts. We need everyone in there working on winning the super bowl.

BOB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kind of pisses me off, frankly. In 2010, we made him the highest-paid TE in the league. At least get to the last year of your contract before pushing for a new one. I'm interested to see what happens with Staley, too. He's signed I think for four more years, and his numbers bump up in the next few, but at present he's grossly underpaid. Hoping our guys who are under contract don't make a habit of making a fuss about their contracts. We need everyone in there working on winning the super bowl.

The way thinks are looking. We wont have any money to keep Crabtree.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wtf gives?

how about no one freaking plays til each guy gets a new contract... lol man, vultures! I mean come on guys....

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pisses me off too. I would say his contract is right where it should be (he's currently the 3rd highest paid behind Gronk and Witten) and he's right around the 3rd best TE in the NFL at the moment.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And a more in-depth article from Grant:

SANTA CLARA – This is about the red zone and the loss of arrogance.

During practice, the 49ers have seemed arrogant since Jim Harbaugh became the head coach three seasons ago. Whenever the media is allowed to watch, the Niners usually do the same things. The basics. I’ve never seen Harbaugh focus a practice on one of the 49ers’ weaknesses. Watching them practice, you’d think they have no weaknesses and have won the past three Super Bowls.

Wednesday afternoon during the second day of the 49ers’ voluntary OTAs, I expected more arrogance.

Wrong.

Wednesday was the most pragmatic open practice of the Harbaugh Era. After the players finished stretching and warming up, they did a brief scrimmage session, 11-on-11. This lasted five minutes tops. Then, most of the team jogged to the north field to practice tackling, while Colin Kaepernick, Anquan Boldin, Michael Crabtree and Brandon Lloyd walked to the south field to practice red-zone offense.

Red-zone offense has been the 49ers’ biggest weakness. If the 49ers offense was better in the red zone, the Niners would have beaten the Seahawks in the NFC championship game last season and the Niners would have beaten the Ravens in the Super Bowl two seasons ago. Both of those games ended with the 49ers offense unable to score a touchdown in the red zone.

Wednesday afternoon, it looked like Kaepernick, Crabtree, Boldin and Lloyd were trying to rectify the end of the Super Bowl against the Ravens. Kaepernick floated pass after pass to the back of the end zone just like he did two years ago, except no defense was on the field. Crabtree dropped two passes during this drill even though no one was covering him. But Lloyd made this drill look easy. He scored imaginary touchdowns every time. After he scored, Kaepernick and Boldin and Crabtree would ask him questions and Lloyd would explain how he did what he did.

About 20 minutes later, the 49ers did a seven-on-seven drill in the red zone, meaning no linemen on the field. Kaepernick missed both throws he attempted. He telegraphed a pass to Kassim Osgood and Perrish Cox easily knocked the ball away. On attempt No. 2, Kaepernick overthrew backup tight end Garrett Celek who was open. Obviously, Kaepernick still needed work in the red zone.

Harbaugh noticed. He ended practice with an 11-on-11 drill in the red zone. Red zone, red zone, red zone. Kaepernick made the play of the day during this drill. He dropped back without staring down a receiver, and then he threw to Lloyd before Lloyd made his break. The pass was perfect. Lloyd made a sliding catch in the front-right corner of the end zone. Touchdown.

After practice, reporters interviewed Harbaugh next to the practice field. I asked if he’s emphasizing red-zone offense this offseason. He nodded. “We’re about 35, 40 percent operating in the red zone in these OTAs. I thought it was good, especially yesterday. Offensively, I don’t know if a ball hit the ground. Today, the defense surged back and had a better day.”

Shortly after Harbaugh’s interview, Kaepernick walked out to the practice field and answered questions.

“That’s something that we know we’ve struggled with here, the red zone,” Kaepernick said. “That’s something that we’re constantly trying to improve. (Lloyd) has had success down there. So, if there is something we can pick up from him – how he runs routes, how he sets things up – that’s something we want to take and try to make it ours.”

What’s so challenging about playing offense in the red zone?

“The confinement of space,” Kaepernick said. “When you’re playing from your own 30, you have 70 yards of field to play with. When you get inside the 10, you have 20 yards. Space is the biggest thing down there.”

Kaepernick is one of the most dangerous quarterbacks in the NFL when he’s at his own 30 yard line. He threatens every square inch of the field with his speed and his rocket arm. When he gets into the red zone and there aren’t many square inches to threaten, he’s not so dangerous. His legs and his rocket arm can’t help him anymore.

I asked Kaepernick how he can improve his own play in the red zone. Last year, he probably would have deflected the question by saying he tries to get better at everything. Not this year. He knows exactly what he needs to improve.

Ding ding ding! Perfect answer. When the field shrinks, he can’t wait for receivers to get open and then muscle passes to them. He needs to anticipate the openings. And Kaepernick knows it.

Good start.

good stuff Grant! yep, between the 20's isn't a problem.

do want a little more consistency game to game, but otherwise he's GOOD between the 20's. not asking for big passing stats because we're run based, just be a little more efficient.

we all thought he'd improve in these areas LAST season, so hate to think what'll happen if he doesn't after THIS season?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
one more comment, knowing Kaep struggles to pass down the middle, and more so in the red zone......is it surprising Roman called those fades to Crabtree?

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Yeah this one is ridiculous for a few different reasons. The #1 reason being his still one of the highest paid and his deal was front loaded. He has two years left. He has no leverage so I say dont give him a new deal.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
6. Lawrence Okoye – He ran down Daryl Morris and pushed him out of bounds during a kickoff drill. Okoye is 6-6, 304 pounds. Morris is 5-10, 188 pounds.

I wanna see Lawrence Okoye returning kicks! Sure he probably wouldn't take any to the house, but he might put a hurt on whoever is trying to tackle him.

I'm like 90% joking here, but I'm loving the mental picture of a Seahawk getting a concussion from trying to tackle Okoye. :)

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He just lost 200 grand for not being at the OTAs if I'm not mistaken. I hope this is just a showing of him wanting a contract for the future and not a holdout for long term. The 9ers don't need this headache when other issues are more important. I agree...win a fucking SB...then bitch about contracts that aren't even ending this new season! :gaah:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

For the most part I side with NFL players in terms of contracts because if a team can cut a player if he underperforms to his contract I don't blame a player for wanting a better deal when he outperforms it.

But in these cases like Boone and Davis I can't side with them because don't sign a long term extension and lock yourself up if you feel you might be outperform and be worth more later. To me you're taking the money now at the risk of possibly losing out on more later so don't complain when the Piper wants to be paid.