• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers Agree to Trade Framework with Patriots and Browns Regarding WR Aiyuk

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still nothing happening. I still think the Niners put the screws to him and make him play without a contract.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still nothing happening. I still think the Niners put the screws to him and make him play without a contract.
That isn’t possible. If he didn’t have a contract, the Niners would have no ability to make him play. He HAS a contract. He just doesn’t like it (anymore).

Actually, even WITH a contact, they can’t “make him play”. They can simply chose not to pay him.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That isn’t possible. If he didn’t have a contract, the Niners would have no ability to make him play. He HAS a contract. He just doesn’t like it (anymore).

Actually, even WITH a contact, they can’t “make him play”. They can simply chose not to pay him.
Yeah and it's not like the Niners (from sources) offered him a bad extension. I think it was $26-27M/year which would make him around a top 7-8 paid WR by AAV and he wants to be paid like a top 5. If PIT keeps low-balling them they could end negotiations.

Then Aiyuk has a couple choices:
1. He can play out his contract, one more year, and hit FA
2. Sit out the year in SF and take a beating with fines
2. Negotiate with SF again to find some middle ground to extend
3. Accept to go to one of the teams who offered SF a fair deal and money to him

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah and it's not like the Niners (from sources) offered him a bad extension. I think it was $26-27M/year which would make him around a top 7-8 paid WR by AAV and he wants to be paid like a top 5. If PIT keeps low-balling them they could end negotiations.

Then Aiyuk has a couple choices:
1. He can play out his contract, one more year, and hit FA
2. Sit out the year in SF and take a beating with fines
2. Negotiate with SF again to find some middle ground to extend
3. Accept to go to one of the teams who offered SF a fair deal and money to him
he,s an idiot(and very wealthy)to leave sf for ne.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Has to be said…

This board really slants pro owner and anti player when we see these contract issues arise.

It’s fascinating to me to see fans become the owners’ mouth pieces. This is the same organization that made a 4+ billion dollar jury award disappear by buying off a judge just last week. Sad.

It's not really a pro owner anti player thing with people.

People don't care about the money they care about whether their team is going to win or not. So when a player has a contract issue people side with the team and turn on the player because that impacts the team's chances of winning. There isn't a 9ers fan going "I really hope Aiyuk wins the Super Bowl this year" they are saying they hope the 9ers win a Super Bowl this year.

You're never going to get people to care about the owners or the players because when most people would be thrilled to earn $100k and rookie league minimum is like $800k it's hard to get people to rally around your cause. I mean how many people would love to trade places with Aiyuk and have the chance to earn $15 million for playing this season?

With that said I have 0 issues with what Aiyuk is doing. He's in the final year of a deal which is usually when things happen and he's trying to do what he feels what's best for him. Players get one or two of these big deals so I'm not going to be one of the 9er fans that complains about his stance.

On the flipside I have 0 issues with what the 9ers are doing either. They are under no obligation to extend him, he's under contract, and the front office is doing it's job in doing what it feels is best for the team in the short term and long term. In a world with no cap and unlimited money I'm sure they'd love nothing more than to cut him a check right now.

The players are unionized so if they have a beef with something they need to fight for it in their next contract. Instead they go a couple weeks without a paycheck and they fold. They complain about how unhealthy playing all these games and playing on Thursday is but they don't boycott them and they sure don't mind cashing those game checks. That's another reason people have a tougher time siding with the players because the players agreed to the working conditions and unlike the working man that doesn't always have leverage to fight their employers these guys have leverage and resources to fight back.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This doesn’t go both ways. There are going to be dozens of players on a contract that will be cut over the next few weeks.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is making $15M this year so now he gets to decide where he wants to go while under a contract. Sorry, I don't care if times are different...it is ridiculous. Asking to be traded and/or paid is one thing but when a player declines going to teams and only wants to go to one team is ridiculous. This is why I say, there is a time and place for it and last time I checked he was under contract.
Hard to disagree with this. If he wants out of SF then NE was the option. What is this, the NBA?

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I criticize cheap, shoddy baseball owners (basically the entire AL central)

Football...is a different animal. You have a cap, you can only do so much. My evaluation on Aiyuk is based on his being in an ideal situation.. I'd definitely kick him 25 a year. 30 to 35 is tough for me.

For him to get the dollar offer(allegedly) and he balked at the location? Yes hes being ridiculous.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t believe unless this was simply a counter offer to PIT not including players in a trade offer. They won’t get one 1st, let alone two

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t believe unless this was simply a counter offer to PIT not including players in a trade offer. They won’t get one 1st, let alone two

No idea who either of those posters are. I put zero cred in anything said there?

TWO 1s? That does not mesh with anything else I have heard from anyone.

Unless maybe the Niners have decided to highball the Steelers who have apparently been lowballing them.

:noidea:

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somewhat related, looking over the Browns cap for next year or isn't as dire as it looks.

Cooper ends up a 16 mil cap savings, Conklin likely goes to save 15 and they punt some form of Watsons deal. If the cap increases even 15 over the more conservative estimates they arent far off there.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea who either of those posters are. I put zero cred in anything said there?

TWO 1s? That does not mesh with anything else I have heard from anyone.

Unless maybe the Niners have decided to highball the Steelers who have apparently been lowballing them.

:noidea:
That can only be a negotiating ploy if true. Nobody is coughing up two 1st rounders in today's market for any WR. I know Hill and Adams were traded for a lot but Aiyuk isn't even close to them. And neither got two 1st's. They got a 1st and 2nd, albeit in the same draft and Hill had a few extra later round picks thrown in. Also, both were overpays, even though those guys are elite players.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somewhat related, looking over the Browns cap for next year or isn't as dire as it looks.

Cooper ends up a 16 mil cap savings, Conklin likely goes to save 15 and they punt some form of Watsons deal. If the cap increases even 15 over the more conservative estimates they arent far off there.
For teams with:
1. Front office personnel who have the expertise in how to structure contracts to manipulate cap
2. A willing owner who is willing to pay more playing the extension, restructure, kick the cap down the road game

The NFL salary cap is nothing but a mirage.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading a first rounder now is not the same as trading a first rounder back in April. You get to use the guy all year while the other team gets nothing for a whole season.

There are other considerations that contribute to the overall value of a draft pick, but to understand it properly you would have to know that a late 1st a year from now and another 1st two years from now is not even close to the same as the "OMG 2 FIRSTS!!!!" theatrics of some of these clowns.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This doesn’t go both ways. There are going to be dozens of players on a contract that will be cut over the next few weeks.

Not on the contract that Aiyuk is on. He is playing out his rookie deal. He was a 1st round pick and thus got paid a 25%+ premium for his 1st 4 years in the league because of it. That extra cash comes at a price and the price is the 5th year option where a teams can pay you a premium dollar value for 1 extra year of service. That's the deal he is on.

You would have a point if he were on his 2nd or 3rd deal and he had no guaranteed money left on his deal. But that is a completely different situation.

People dont realize the 5th year tender and how much more 1st rounders get paid because of it. Go look at the contracts of Xavier Leggette the 32nd pick in the 2024 draft and the Keon Coleman the 33rd pick in the draft. Both guys are WR's only separated by a single pick. One guy gets $12.3M contract with it fully guaranteed while the other get $10.07M with not all of that guaranteed. The extra $2M which is a 25% raise over Coleman comes at the price of possibly being paid a top value contract for a single season under the 5th year tender.

And people whine about players possibly being cut.

It BENEFITS players in general that specific players who aren't living up to their contracts get cut. It assures that the players who are actually performing out on the football field are the ones that get the cash. The money doesn't just go back to the owners pocket. It goes to a player who deserves it. The players get a percentage of revenue. Whether that money goes to a player who isn't performing or to one who is, it doesn't change how much the owners player the players as a whole.

It doesn't benefit players in general, the owners or the league as a whole to have the league handing out fully guaranteed deals and having a big percentage of the dollars going to players who are no longer performing. It just makes the amount of money that the owners can pay players who are performing smaller.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has to be said…

This board really slants pro owner and anti player when we see these contract issues arise.

It’s fascinating to me to see fans become the owners’ mouth pieces. This is the same organization that made a 4+ billion dollar jury award disappear by buying off a judge just last week. Sad.
This isn't an accurate view in the NFL. With the salary cap, you need to replace "pro owner" with "pro team"... money that goes to Aiyuk is coming out of the pool to add or keep other assets that help the team.

In the NFL, smart business decisions are good for the teams that we root for.... MLB, on the other hand... Fuck the Mariners front office...