• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2nd Round: Memphis Grizzlies vs Golden State Warriors

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems counter-intuitive, but with respects to the pace, the Warriors and Grizzlies combined for more shots in game 2 than they did in game 1. The Warriors still got up 74 shots versus the 77 they had in game 1. Likewise the Grizzlies had more shots 83, than then did in game 1, 73.

I don't think the pace of play was dictated on the offensive end for the Grizzlies. I think much of it was dictated on the defensive end, where they limited Warriors opportunities and turned them over. It created dysfunction with the Warriors offense. That heavily favored the Grizz.

Not discounting what Conley did. He did a great job of probing and that floater was ridiculous. Defensively I think the Warriors were probably overall happy. Normally when the Warriors hold opponents to under 100, they're huge favorites for the win. They just didn't get it done on offense.

Exactly, warriors can play at any pace in my opinion. Mike Conley won the game for them in my opinion.
Gasol and zbo only shot 42% combined

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, warriors can play at any pace in my opinion. Mike Conley won the game for them in my opinion.

Either a wake up call for the Warriors or a reality check.

I think wake up call.

I picked Memphis to come out of the West earlier in the season.
I don't now, but I figured they are taking anyone 6-7.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gasol and zbo had good games but mike Conley had a great game that was the difference. Draymond and bogut did a decent job of defending. I don't agree on Houston and bulls, warriors would take care of both teams

Houston yes, their best players are fairly one dimensional, especially Dwight. Bulls, not so much. Not saying that the Warriors can't beat the Bulls, just that it would be a tough series.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They didn't fare too well against the Grizzlies slower paced game last night. This series will be decided by which team can impose their pace the most. If most of the remaining games are played at game 1's pace, the Warriors will win, if they are at last night's pace, the Grizzlies will win.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't fare too well against the Grizzlies slower paced game last night. This series will be decided by which team can impose their pace the most. If most of the remaining games are played at game 1's pace, the Warriors will win, if they are at last night's pace, the Grizzlies will win.

Warriors are better at getting out in transition but it's not like they're bad at the half court game. They're still good at it. You don't win 67 games playing at one pace

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either a wake up call for the Warriors or a reality check.

I think wake up call.

I picked Memphis to come out of the West earlier in the season.
I don't now, but I figured they are taking anyone 6-7.

Memphis always takes teams to 6 or 7 but it will be interesting to see if they win

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston yes, their best players are fairly one dimensional, especially Dwight. Bulls, not so much. Not saying that the Warriors can't beat the Bulls, just that it would be a tough series.

Bulls maybe but I would take warriors in 6 or 7. but Houston? That's light work.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warriors are better at getting out in transition but it's like they're bad at the half court game. They're still good at it. You don't win 67 games playing at one pace

The Suns averaged about 60 wins per season playing at one pace when D'Antoni was the coach. Additionally, just because the Warriors CAN play in the halfcourt, doesn't mean that's how they WANT to play or that they are completely comfortable playing that style.

If most of the rest of the series is played at a halfcourt type pace, that significantly increases the Grizzlies chances of winning the series as we saw last night. Much of the Warriors "paint scoring" and a decent number of the open 3's they get are a direct result of the pace they play at.

When their offense is truly flowing, they are getting fastbreak layups and when the defense gets back in time to protect the paint, Curry and Thompson are there for wide open 3's. Last night the game was played at the Grizzlies pace and the result was shooting 23% from 3 point range and 41% overall compared to the Grizzlies 33% from 3 point range and 45% overall.

And while the Warriors may not be bad in the halfcourt game, they aren't good at it either. They are an average halfcourt team. There is no question that the way to beat them is to force them into playing most of the games in the halfcourt. The only question is whether any team is good enough to force them into that style enough to beat them 4 out of 7 games.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bulls maybe but I would take warriors in 6 or 7. but Houston? That's light work.

Houston would be lucky to go 5 games vs. the Warriors. Hell, the league might impose a mercy rule and end the series after 3 games. :lol:

I'd call a Bulls/Warriors series even. Rose and Butler are not as good as Steph and Klay, but they can be competitive and cause problems for them. I'd take the Bulls bigs over the Warriors bigs any day.

I'd say:

Guards: Advantage Warriors
Bigs: Advantage Bulls
Bench: Advantage Warriors
Coaching: Even

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Suns averaged about 60 wins per season playing at one pace when D'Antoni was the coach. Additionally, just because the Warriors CAN play in the halfcourt, doesn't mean that's how they WANT to play or that they are completely comfortable playing that style.

If most of the rest of the series is played at a halfcourt type pace, that significantly increases the Grizzlies chances of winning the series as we saw last night. Much of the Warriors "paint scoring" and a decent number of the open 3's they get are a direct result of the pace they play at.

When their offense is truly flowing, they are getting fastbreak layups and when the defense gets back in time to protect the paint, Curry and Thompson are there for wide open 3's. Last night the game was played at the Grizzlies pace and the result was shooting 23% from 3 point range and 41% overall compared to the Grizzlies 33% from 3 point range and 45% overall.

And while the Warriors may not be bad in the halfcourt game, they aren't good at it either. They are an average halfcourt team. There is no question that the way to beat them is to force them into playing most of the games in the halfcourt. The only question is whether any team is good enough to force them into that style enough to beat them 4 out of 7 games.

If you saw my post earlier the warriors were 5/23 on there open looks compared to almost 50% in game one. They need to hit more than 20% to beat the grizzlies and I think they will IMO. But I agree on pace factor but I think they can still beat Memphis at there own game. Those suns teams couldn't play good Defense either. But they never had trouble scoring in the playoffs FYI

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston would be lucky to go 5 games vs. the Warriors. Hell, the league might impose a mercy rule and end the series after 3 games. :lol:

I'd call a Bulls/Warriors series even. Rose and Butler are not as good as Steph and Klay, but they can be competitive and cause problems for them. I'd take the Bulls bigs over the Warriors bigs any day.

I'd say:

Guards: Advantage Warriors
Bigs: Advantage Bulls
Bench: Advantage Warriors
Coaching: Even

I like the bulls they would give us a run. They gotta show consistentcy though too

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you saw my post earlier the warriors were 5/23 on there open looks compared to almost 50% in game one. They need to hit more than 20% to beat the grizzlies and I think they will IMO. But I agree on pace factor but I think they can still beat Memphis at there own game. Those suns teams couldn't play good Defense either. But they never had trouble scoring in the playoffs FYI

That's my point. When the Warriors are forced to play at a slower pace, they struggle a bit. Certainly doesn't mean they can't beat the Grizzlies at the halfcourt game, but it would make it quite a bit more difficult and give the Grizzlies a much better shot.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my point. When the Warriors are forced to play at a slower pace, they struggle a bit. Certainly doesn't mean they can't beat the Grizzlies at the halfcourt game, but it would make it quite a bit more difficult and give the Grizzlies a much better shot.

Yep which is why I think they will go small a lot to keep the tempo up. Kerr did that in the 2nd half

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warriors just not mentally tough enough yet. They're 1 piece away from winning it all. Need a 3rd consistent scorer behind klay and Steph

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warriors just not mentally tough enough yet. They're 1 piece away from winning it all. Need a 3rd consistent scorer behind klay and Steph

Might just need experience. Memphis is bothering them some but you're right, they're off a bit.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might just need experience. Memphis is bothering them some but you're right, they're off a bit.

Yup. Getting good looks too not knocking them down on offense either. Honestly they need atleast 1 in Memphis if they wanna win the series

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not saying the Warriors won't win the series (or even this game), but remember when I was telling you about the difference between regular season basketball, playoff basketball and teams that are built for the regular season vs. teams built for the playoffs?

Starting to understand now?

JkShaz821

Associate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I mean its really tough to play a team that good over and over again. We cant forget that despite how phenomenal this warriors team is they have very little experience being here. There will probably be some growing pains. They are still my pick to come out of the west.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warriors got way too cocky all season.

Nothing bad happened to them all season and it went to their heads.

When they started referring to other teams as scrimmages it seemed like they lost their focus.

Still plenty of time, but they needed some adversity.

I still got them to win the series....but they look afraid of Memphis

JkShaz821

Associate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying the Warriors won't win the series (or even this game), but remember when I was telling you about the difference between regular season basketball, playoff basketball and teams that are built for the regular season vs. teams built for the playoffs?

Starting to understand now?
Remind you any of the spurs from about 4 years ago? Obviously GS has more top end talent but...