• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2nd Round: Memphis Grizzlies vs Golden State Warriors

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next game is a must win, we'll see if they are ready or need another year.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That 2011 SPURS team was hurt though...
People forget that Manu Ginobili got hurt in the next to last game and missed game 1 of the playoffs.

That was back when the team truly leaned on Timmy/Manu/Tony.
The roleplayers sucked ass for the 2009-2011 Spurs. It was very LA Clippers like...

The Grizz stole game 1 without Ginobili and then held serve at home.
I dont think the Spurs have lost to the Grizz since at full strength....including sweeping them in 2013 WCFinals.

JkShaz821

Associate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That 2011 SPURS team was hurt though...
People forget that Manu Ginobili got hurt in the next to last game and missed game 1 of the playoffs.

That was back when the team truly leaned on Timmy/Manu/Tony.
The roleplayers sucked ass for the 2009-2011 Spurs. It was very LA Clippers like...

The Grizz stole game 1 without Ginobili and then held serve at home.
I dont think the Spurs have lost to the Grizz since at full strength....including sweeping them in 2013 WCFinals.
You are right about that good sir!

I cannot however pretend that a healthy gino was turning that series around. He was already past that point in his career.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With regards to not being built for a postseason run?

With regards to being built for the playoffs. Seems like the Spurs have been in the mix every year for the past 20 playing that supposedly boring style. Every year people write off the Spurs and every year, they're right there. Memphis is shaping up to be the "new Spurs" with how they play. Everyone was writing them off when the playoffs started too.

JkShaz821

Associate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah
With regards to being built for the playoffs. Seems like the Spurs have been in the mix every year for the past 20 playing that supposedly boring style. Every year people write off the Spurs and every year, they're right there. Memphis is shaping up to be the "new Spurs" with how they play. Everyone was writing them off when the playoffs started too.
Yes sorry I was working on a different train of thought but generally agree with your premise

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since that embarassing Memphis series in 2011, the Spurs are 14-4 versus the Grizz (3 losses where Pop rested starters) including a 4-0 playoff sweep.

2011 really pissed me off because Ginobili got hurt (again) and was a steaming turd of a mess in game 2-6.

I hated "El Contusione" in 2008-2011.
He cost SA at least one more title by always being hurt in May.

He got hurt in game 1 versus the Lakers in 2008 and was useless the rest of the series.
He missed the 2009 playoffs.
He got hurt in game 2 versus Phoenix in 2010.
He missed game 1 in 2011, and sucked the rest of the way.

JkShaz821

Associate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel the same way. I have a love\hate relationship with him his whole career. I was also convinced at times during the 2013 finals that Miami was paying him to throw.

JkShaz821

Associate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GS is probably done here. Just too many crucial plays made by Memphis down the stretch to maintain the lead

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Series not over yet but if they lose game 4 it looks really bad. Need to hit our open shots though. Which is killing us in the first half

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Spurs have one of the most entertaining styles I think

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying the Warriors won't win the series (or even this game), but remember when I was telling you about the difference between regular season basketball, playoff basketball and teams that are built for the regular season vs. teams built for the playoffs?

Starting to understand now?

That's stretching it. They're built to win. Nothing they're running is hurting them. It's just in certain instances, they just need to calm the fuck down. Draymond Green is a perfect example. In the last 90 seconds or so, he had a stupid lane violation and then on a rebound down 5, he wildly dribbles down court and turns the ball over instead of hitting Curry who is coming up for a handoff 3. And for some reason, Steph is still getting good looks and not hitting them. All season up until the last week, every time he shot you basically expected it to go in. Now quite a few of his open looks are rimming out. GS is schematically fine, they just need to keep plugging along.

The only person that might be in trouble is Klay Thompson. Allen is in his head enough that he's passing up open shots. Several times tonight he was sprung open for a 3, looked for Allen instead of shooting, and by then it was too late and he had to dribble in for a worse shot or pass.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's stretching it. They're built to win. Nothing they're running is hurting them. It's just in certain instances, they just need to calm the fuck down. Draymond Green is a perfect example. In the last 90 seconds or so, he had a stupid lane violation and then on a rebound down 5, he wildly dribbles down court and turns the ball over instead of hitting Curry who is coming up for a handoff 3. And for some reason, Steph is still getting good looks and not hitting them. All season up until the last week, every time he shot you basically expected it to go in. Now quite a few of his open looks are rimming out. GS is schematically fine, they just need to keep plugging along.

The only person that might be in trouble is Klay Thompson. Allen is in his head enough that he's passing up open shots. Several times tonight he was sprung open for a 3, looked for Allen instead of shooting, and by then it was too late and he had to dribble in for a worse shot or pass.

Klay was far from the problem he and Barnes showed up today. Steph missed a lot of open looks today I agree. They're all of a sudden miss shots they usually hit.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO @ max player Draymond Green.

Gotta love the play late in the 4th when he acted like he was a PG and turned the ball over which basically ended the game. Instead of cutting the lead to 3, his turnover put Memphis back up 7

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Real basketball fans are not surprised how this series is going. I'm kind of on the fence because I wanna see Golden State do so well and Memphis too, especially since they have been on the brink a couple times. The one concern I had was that when u live and die by the 3s like they do and they don't fall, like they havent, then your S.O.L when the game slows down. Memphis game is more "conservative", they wont oooh and aaah you, but they're stacked at key positions Golden State is not, and because of that, Golden State is getting worn out fast. Not only can Gasol and Randolph punish u when the rock is fed to them time and time again, but they defend just as well. So, however it plays out the rest of the way, if Golden State comes back and survives, cool, if not, its cool too because to me, it wouldnt be a surprise as to why its so and u can only

And how about Tony Allen? You hate to see a team like Boston who had Pierce, KG, Ray, and Rondo, trade him or not keep him in any way, but I respect that he stayed true to his game, does nothing more or less than what his job is, and his defense will never fade. To have to guard one of the Splash brothers is a task in itself, but to be able to take both of those guys out of their game, if there's one guy that can do it, it's Tony.

And on another note, there are two reasons why the Wizards, Grizzlies, Clippers, and Bulls are up 2-1 (which makes this postseason more interesting because NONE WERE FAVORED in their series, but correct me if I'm wrong):

putting it all out there for 48 minutes
better frontcourts

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spurs have one of the most entertaining styles I think

Yeah they do now, but they used to be considered very boring and a lot of folks haven't moved past that boring label for them.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's the fact that GSW doesn't do that well with the Grizzlies slower, more physical style and physical defense. Those "good looks" aren't the same "good looks" that they were getting in the regular season. They are now contested or from slightly different spots/angles than what they are used to getting. I said before the series started that Memphis would give them trouble and that the series would be decided by which team got to play their style the most. That's exactly what's happening.

People need to quit making excuses for GSW and just accept that the Grizzlies are a good basketball team, are playing well and their size and style present problems for GSW. I'm not saying GSW can't win, I picked them in 6 for this series. However, many on here were saying GSW would blow them out and it would be over in 4 or 5 games. Now it's going at least 6 and possibly 7. If GSW loses game 4, they're really going to be in trouble.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warriors won 1-2-3 positions. They just can't get murdered at the 4-5 to win this series IMO. Also only hitting 4-19 on wide open 3s the last 2 games is going to hurt your chances too.