• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

21-22 Season - Jekyll or Hyde ?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His current salary puts him #22 among active goalies.
Next year, he's #18.
Following year, #13.

But, there will be FA goalies and teams keeping goalies that potentially lower those numbers.
If he's being paid as a middle of the pack goalie for the next 3 years, that seems fair.
It's up to him to outperform those numbers.
I think the correct comparison is to other young goalies that have just finished up their entry-level contract and have yet to really prove themselves to be elite for even a full season at the Nhl level. $4M seems like an awful lot to be paying a soon to be 23 year old goalie with 101 games played that is coming off a dreadful, partial season.

Of course his salary isn't excessive when compared to starting goalies that are proven and have track records to show that.

All of that said, this contract is clearly paying him for what we expect him to quickly become. If he miraculously doesn't improve any, this will not be a good signing for us...Lol

I do still believe in Carter Hart though, very much so. The heat is on him now however and I suspect that he wants it that way too.

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A great comparison to Carter Hart is Mackenzie Blackwood in NJ. His second contract is 3 years at a cap hit of $2.8M per season. We paid almost $1.2M extra per season and I'm not at all sure why, honestly.

If we had done the same for Hart, then there's enough money to keep Sanheim happy with his 3rd contract. Instead, Sanheim could now sign for two years via arbitration and then walk as an UFA. We'd much rather he sign for one season and stay a RFA, but it's out of our control now.

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume that Sanheim's deal won't be decided by arbitration because both parties probably do not want that, and for different reasons.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume that Sanheim's deal won't be decided by arbitration because both parties probably do not want that, and for different reasons.
Is Sanheim considered expendable because of York and Zemula?
Is the idea to go to arbitration, pay him for one more season, and then let him go or try to trade him???

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the idea to go to arbitration, pay him for one more season, and then let him go or try to trade him???
I don't expect arbitration to actually decide his contract, it will just put the heat on him to come to an agreement with the Flyers in advance of that. If decided by arbitration, my understanding is that he will get a lot less money and the contract will only be one or two years in length, which will be decided by him. A one year contract keeps him a RFA and if it's a two year contract, he can walk afterwards. I don't think the team feels that he is expendable, we just want to bridge him or sign him long term, so we don't lose him soon.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMHO the only reason that Sanheim could be seen as expendable is because Fletcher has been clearing out players that Hextall brought in.
Haag, Myers, Ghost (even though he was a Homer draft pick). Also, packing the roster with vets and blocking youngsters from having a clear path to compete for a spot....

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I could definitely see Sanheim ending up somewhere else in the next 2-3 years because of York and Zamula. And maybe that's how Fletcher sees it too. If York in particular, pans out, he should be a top 4 NHL dman. The Flyers wouldn't have space for him, Provorov, and Sanheim. Provorov is locked in and York would be the cheapest of the 3. So Sanheim is expendable.

But not this season. And maybe not next season. So maybe that's where Fletcher sees things. The real need for Sanheim fades away after the next year or two. If they lose Sanheim, even for nothing in free agency, so be it. I suppose it's the other side of the coin to signing Sanheim longer term now and then being forced to keep him and move York down the road because you can't afford to pay 3 top 4 LHD.

So then, like Mav said, team elected arbitration puts Sanheim in a bit of a pickle. If he wants something more than 1-2 years, he's going to have to come at a bargain. Even more so now that Hart took up the surplus cap space. Maybe if he opts for that, the bargain makes it possible to have Provorov, Sanheim, and York without screwing your cap.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could definitely see Sanheim ending up somewhere else in the next 2-3 years because of York and Zamula. And maybe that's how Fletcher sees it too. If York in particular, pans out, he should be a top 4 NHL dman. The Flyers wouldn't have space for him, Provorov, and Sanheim. Provorov is locked in and York would be the cheapest of the 3. So Sanheim is expendable.

But not this season. And maybe not next season. So maybe that's where Fletcher sees things. The real need for Sanheim fades away after the next year or two. If they lose Sanheim, even for nothing in free agency, so be it. I suppose it's the other side of the coin to signing Sanheim longer term now and then being forced to keep him and move York down the road because you can't afford to pay 3 top 4 LHD.

So then, like Mav said, team elected arbitration puts Sanheim in a bit of a pickle. If he wants something more than 1-2 years, he's going to have to come at a bargain. Even more so now that Hart took up the surplus cap space. Maybe if he opts for that, the bargain makes it possible to have Provorov, Sanheim, and York without screwing your cap.
Ill agree with most of this except for losing Sanheim for nothing. A player of his caliber should never be let go for nothing.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ill agree with most of this except for losing Sanheim for nothing. A player of his caliber should never be let go for nothing.

Oh ya, obviously you don't want to lose him for nothing. But I can see the logic in risking that with a 1-2 year deal now; rather than tying up a bunch of cap and being forced into a move you don't want to make when it comes time to pay York.

When you're going for it, you're going to lose guys for nothing in free agency. Can't sell the free agents you don't plan on re-signing at the deadline because you need them for the run. Sanheim could turn into that "self rental" guy in a couple years.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Makes sense. ESPN+ will carry the streams now per the new media agreement. No sense in the NHL maintaining a stake when their product isn't even on it.

Will probably be more expensive than the like $70/season for a 'flyers only' package which is lame. But at least it comes with a lot more.