• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

21-22 Season - Jekyll or Hyde ?

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone think the players on this team sat around this off season and when all the deals were made thought to themselves, Man, we're in the driver's seat now? Yea me neither. I'll stay optimistic though because chemistry is a fickle mistress, and if you can at least get to the playoffs anything can happen. I think the big let down is we were all hoping for some sort of Boom! Impact player and it was more like a can of "Fix a flat" on a worn tire. I truly hope I'm wrong and this team is stronger than it seems, I don't care who ends up being on this roster, I just want to win.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone think the players on this team sat around this off season and when all the deals were made thought to themselves, Man, we're in the driver's seat now? Yea me neither. I'll stay optimistic though because chemistry is a fickle mistress, and if you can at least get to the playoffs anything can happen. I think the big let down is we were all hoping for some sort of Boom! Impact player and it was more like a can of "Fix a flat" on a worn tire. I truly hope I'm wrong and this team is stronger than it seems, I don't care who ends up being on this roster, I just want to win.

I think the Ellis trade gets forgotten a little bit since it came first and the Ristolainen deal especially, is more controversial. I think Ellis is a huge upgrade on the defense. He's a legit 1RD.

I think with the Eichel/Tarasenko/Gaudreau type names floating around there was some excitement to adding a name like that. But what the Flyers needed more than anything was a 1RD. Ellis is the perfect fit in that regard.

I certainly don't think they're in the driver's seat. But the point about "if you make the playoffs, anything can happen" is exactly right. Look at Montreal this season and Dallas last season. In either case, how many people had them playing for the cup at the beginning of the season? Obviously they lost to a juggernaut that every team would love to be going in to a season, but they won't win every cup.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Ellis trade gets forgotten a little bit since it came first and the Ristolainen deal especially, is more controversial. I think Ellis is a huge upgrade on the defense. He's a legit 1RD.

I think with the Eichel/Tarasenko/Gaudreau type names floating around there was some excitement to adding a name like that. But what the Flyers needed more than anything was a 1RD. Ellis is the perfect fit in that regard.

I certainly don't think they're in the driver's seat. But the point about "if you make the playoffs, anything can happen" is exactly right. Look at Montreal this season and Dallas last season. In either case, how many people had them playing for the cup at the beginning of the season? Obviously they lost to a juggernaut that every team would love to be going in to a season, but they won't win every cup.
Id like to point out that juggernaut is still in our league.

Id also like to point out that neither of them won the cup and our goal is to win the cup. Nobody will remember Montreal and Dallas in a few years

A better example of anything can happen is the 2012 Kings who won the cup from 8th place.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twitter speculating that Hart is just about re-signed. 3 years @ 4M per.

That's more than I expected...

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same.

Hart official. 3 x 3.979M
Well, that's about 20-25% more than I had expected. He better prove fast that last season was an aberration, because we've just backed him with a lot of confidence after he put up some putrid numbers. Now there are no excuses and it's time to shine.

This also doesn't appear to leave quite enough cap space for what Sanheim is probably seeking.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that's about 20-25% more than I had expected. He better prove fast that last season was an aberration, because we've just backed him with a lot of confidence after he put up some putrid numbers. Now there are no excuses and it's time to shine.

This also doesn't appear to leave quite enough cap space for what Sanheim is probably seeking.

Agree on both accounts. Not really sure how you lose a negotiation with statistically one of the worst goalies in hockey. I believe Hart will turn it around, but how do you not bend him over a barrel in this round of negotiations? No arbitration rights, terrible season, restricted free agent. Hart had no leverage at all outside of requesting a trade.

Probably why they elected arbitration with Sanheim.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Highest ever AAV for a goalie's 2nd contract. :L

I want to negotiate my next raise with Fletcher..

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No shit. $12MM for the statistically worst goalie in 2021.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No shit. $12MM for the statistically worst goalie in 2021.
Hopefully we will be singing the praises of this deal a year from now - but I don’t think so.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's a little frustrating to see right now. I do think Carter Hart will be worth it and then some in the long run, but to give him that much of a raise off of his rookie deal and a horrific, shortened season seems incredibly generous.

Like you say, Hart didn't have the leverage for anything but an average second deal. It's the third deal where he would really be able to pile up the money, assuming he was performing at an elite level.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This leaves $4.9 for Sanheim and then, right up against the cap with no wiggle room.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, apparently only Lundqvist ($4.25M) and Bobrovsky ($5.625M) made more money per year in their second contract than Hart. They combined for three Vezina trophies, so that is the standard we have set for Carter.

I hate to heap pressure on a young kid, but assuming his own high standards and making this kind of money so soon as a goalie in Philly, you're asking for it.

Happy 23rd Birthday to him in 4 days, which also happens to be Friday the 13th.

Now go win a fucking Vezina and earn that contract...Lol

Last edited:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not super worried about Hart being worth 4M. I think he bounces back and is worth it.

But I t worries me that they won’t have room for Sanheim and either have to deal him or have to do another cap dump just to fit him. Seems like an opportunity missed to carve out 1M more in space or so. Can’t always be a nice guy, need to take advantage of Hart having a shit year.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His current salary puts him #22 among active goalies.
Next year, he's #18.
Following year, #13.

But, there will be FA goalies and teams keeping goalies that potentially lower those numbers.
If he's being paid as a middle of the pack goalie for the next 3 years, that seems fair.
It's up to him to outperform those numbers.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shesterkin signed with the Rags 4 years 5.666 per year which makes it the largest 2nd year contract in history.