• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Trade Deadline

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marvel Studios What GIF by Disney+

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"We're 4 games under .500. Overall it's been a real disappointment. We pushed a lot of chips in with this team. We need the players to show what the right direction is for us. If we keep playing like we did for the last 5 days, we're going to have to think about selling and seeing some younger players" -Farhan w/Tolbert & Copes

FZ lips to Bonds ears. SELL.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"We're 4 games under .500. Overall it's been a real disappointment. We pushed a lot of chips in with this team. We need the players to show what the right direction is for us. If we keep playing like we did for the last 5 days, we're going to have to think about selling and seeing some younger players" -Farhan w/Tolbert & Copes

FZ lips to Bonds ears. SELL.
Assuming he acts on those words…

What photos does he have of the ownership group? How is he so comfortable in his position that he would entertain a ”sell” strategy?

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming he acts on those words…

What photos does he have of the ownership group? How is he so comfortable in his position that he would entertain a ”sell” strategy?
IMHO ... FZ is now sitting on the brink ... i can't blame him for everything but they have to blame someone. This team was projected for 90 wins. I'm not sure we hit 80. But if you look at our 4 big purchases ... you get a much clearer picture ... Lee went down with an injury, Soler has never really been what was expected, Chapmam has shown some flashes but also some real cold spells. Snell has been hurt and all we have really seen is one quality start out of him. Hicks looked like a dismond ... but he now looks like what many of us thought .. he's hit this wall we all talked about. I understand the SELL mentality but that is as a Giant fan. But, if O was an owner of a contender looking to upgrade ... I'd be very hard pressed to pick up the contracts of Soler, Chapman and Snell. If they haven't produced as expected here why would that change? Are you willing to bet millions that it does?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMHO ... FZ is now sitting on the brink ... i can't blame him for everything but they have to blame someone. This team was projected for 90 wins. I'm not sure we hit 80. But if you look at our 4 big purchases ... you get a much clearer picture ... Lee went down with an injury, Soler has never really been what was expected, Chapmam has shown some flashes but also some real cold spells. Snell has been hurt and all we have really seen is one quality start out of him. Hicks looked like a dismond ... but he now looks like what many of us thought .. he's hit this wall we all talked about. I understand the SELL mentality but that is as a Giant fan. But, if O was an owner of a contender looking to upgrade ... I'd be very hard pressed to pick up the contracts of Soler, Chapman and Snell. If they haven't produced as expected here why would that change? Are you willing to bet millions that it does?
I think that's what owners do all the time. Surrounded by better hitters, Chapman is a real asset, and his contract is pretty palatable (17M next year, 18M after that). Soler is a classic change of scenery guy -- get him out of Oracle and he hits 30 bombs. His contract is also palatable (16M next year, 16 in 26). With Snell, you're betting on him doing what he always does -- pitch really well in the second half. Your risk is one more year at 30M if he opts in, and he'd presumably have a real ST next year. Conforto is a rental, as he's off the books next year.

All these guys have value, are good to great players, but aren't going to help the Giants get to the playoffs this year. All are tradeable; all should return nice prospects. Add in that it's a sellers market and FZ would be foolish to NOT trade them.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's what owners do all the time. Surrounded by better hitters, Chapman is a real asset, and his contract is pretty palatable (17M next year, 18M after that). Soler is a classic change of scenery guy -- get him out of Oracle and he hits 30 bombs. His contract is also palatable (16M next year, 16 in 26). With Snell, you're betting on him doing what he always does -- pitch really well in the second half. Your risk is one more year at 30M if he opts in, and he'd presumably have a real ST next year. Conforto is a rental, as he's off the books next year.

All these guys have value, are good to great players, but aren't going to help the Giants get to the playoffs this year. All are tradeable; all should return nice prospects. Add in that it's a sellers market and FZ would be foolish to NOT trade them.
But FZ going into sell mode would be admitting that his “all-in” failed. So he SHOULD be fired. So he would be building for a future he will not be a part of.

Classic catch-22

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But FZ going into sell mode would be admitting that his “all-in” failed. So he SHOULD be fired. So he would be building for a future he will not be a part of.

Classic catch-22
I guess it depends upon how the owners feel about the trades. If he clears payroll as I suggest that would go a long way toward keeping his job.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it depends upon how the owners feel about the trades. If he clears payroll as I suggest that would go a long way toward keeping his job.
While I hear what you are saying ... it also brings us back to ground zero again. Just recovering the payroll doesn't address the talent issue that these purchases tried to resolve. They would need a good off season plan to move forward .... or they could just punt this season because of injuries and keep everyone they can. They were expected to win 90 games.
So rhe real question is ... was it injury or was it just the wrong players

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Cobb and Ray come back, then Hicks could move to the pen if he really has reached his limit

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Cobb and Ray come back, then Hicks could move to the pen if he really has reached his limit
Agree ... also curious why they keep rolling him out as an opener. He's been struggling for quite some time now.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Classic catch-22
If the owners like him, they may just see it as he being savvy enough to pivot on a failed plan and the assumption is that he is smart enough to know the best plan is a changed plan.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree ... also curious why they keep rolling him out as an opener. He's been struggling for quite some time now.
2023 may have a part in that, getting a lot of flack for bouncing Wood, Manaea and Stripling back and forth between starting and relief.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I hear what you are saying ... it also brings us back to ground zero again. Just recovering the payroll doesn't address the talent issue that these purchases tried to resolve. They would need a good off season plan to move forward .... or they could just punt this season because of injuries and keep everyone they can. They were expected to win 90 games.
So rhe real question is ... was it injury or was it just the wrong players
Just payroll alone wouldn't be enough, I agree. That's why getting talent back in the sell off would be crucial. This is the most injured team I've followed...like, ever. Some of this isn't FZ's fault at all. I think he can save his job if he's aggressive and shaves payroll, gets rid of big contracts, and pulls back talent in trades.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the owners like him, they may just see it as he being savvy enough to pivot on a failed plan and the assumption is that he is smart enough to know the best plan is a changed plan.
Agreed. And if he were able to deal all four of the vets, he'd have TON of payroll to play with this offseason, in addition to the talent coming back and the young rising players.

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They must see something we don’t that gives them confidence that he can get it done

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Classic catch-22
We’ll see what happens in the second half when he gets his pitching staff back

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who projected 90? Not sure exactly where Vegas had them but it was more like 85