• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 NFL Draft: The Quarterback Class

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those top 8 picks seem fairly accurate, assuming of course there are no trades, aside from the suggested Falcons swap with the Chargers. Amazing how McCarthy seems to be skyrocketing up the boards the past week or so. The only other player I've seen in similar skyrocket mode has been Oregon's center, Jackson Powers-Johnson. Just a few weeks ago - pre-Senior Bowl - he was usually mentioned at best as a mid-late 2nd round pick, now he's suddenly a for-sure 1st rounder.

As for the Bears, there has been some talk of late that the Steelers could be interested in obtaining Fields, but of course it's all just speculation at this point. We only have six picks in this draft, so trading back at #9 for additional capital might just come into play.
JPJ definitely solidified himself in rd1. Center with size and upside.

I think McCarthy has probably always been high it's just that I think people are coming around to the idea that Nix and Penix might be closer to Spencer Rattler than Caleb Williams.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JPJ definitely solidified himself in rd1. Center with size and upside.

I think McCarthy has probably always been high it's just that I think people are coming around to the idea that Nix and Penix might be closer to Spencer Rattler than Caleb Williams.
Not necessarily questioning his talent. His rapid climb up the draft boards was primarily due to his performance on the practice fields during Senior Bowl week, where he received rave reviews, altho he didn't play in the game itself due to a leg injury.

As for McCarthy, I'm still kinda scratching my head over his rapid rise, but just a bit. He does appear to have that successful game manager aura about him. And with the success of Brock Purdy, being referred to as a 'game manager', doesn't seem to carry the stigma for a QB it has in the past. Shit, for all I know, he could turn out to be the best QB in the '24 class.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily questioning his talent. His rapid climb up the draft boards was primarily due to his performance on the practice fields during Senior Bowl week, where he received rave reviews, altho he didn't play in the game itself due to a leg injury.

As for McCarthy, I'm still kinda scratching my head over his rapid rise, but just a bit. He does appear to have that successful game manager aura about him. And with the success of Brock Purdy, being referred to as a 'game manager', doesn't seem to carry the stigma for a QB it has in the past. Shit, for all I know, he could turn out to be the best QB in the '24 class.
I wouldn't say McCarthy has had a rapid rise. I think people have been talking about him for awhile. I'd also say that people aren't really sure how high he'll go.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the big question is: where does Justin Fields rank in this mix? If New England is looking at QB3 or Marvin Harrison Jr and Justin Fields...it wouldn't be the craziest thing ever if they went with Fields.
Excellent question. Are the Bears really giving up on Fields? They get a lot for him. Seems like MHJ feels like a quality pick.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent question. Are the Bears really giving up on Fields? They get a lot for him. Seems like MHJ feels like a quality pick.
well...i was thinking the other day (twice a month these days)

what if....wash trades for the first pick and then someone pays CHI for the second pick.

i could become a moonlight bears fan

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't say McCarthy has had a rapid rise. I think people have been talking about him for awhile. I'd also say that people aren't really sure how high he'll go.
To address the commentary above.

McCarthy started this draft process (still in the baby phase) as a 1st to 2nd round guy. I don't really see that dynamic has changed. The cream is still with Williams, Maye, and Daniels.

If anything I think Rattler joined the McCarthy, Penix, and Nix conversation. The Senior Bowl performance was quite remarkable and he looked better than Bo Nix.

Not sure I understand the scratching of the head over McCarthy. It's pretty obvious when you watch the film -- terrific physical tools. That's what drives QB stock upwards. On top of that, there's a sense that he hasn't peaked. The only thing holding him back is this stat: 204 passing yards per game, and 857 passing yards in his last six games as a Wolverine.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the big question is: where does Justin Fields rank in this mix? If New England is looking at QB3 or Marvin Harrison Jr and Justin Fields...it wouldn't be the craziest thing ever if they went with Fields.
That would be crazy. A bust qb instead of a top rookie.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I understand the scratching of the head over McCarthy. It's pretty obvious when you watch the film -- terrific physical tools. That's what drives QB stock upwards. On top of that, there's a sense that he hasn't peaked. The only thing holding him back is this stat: 204 passing yards per game, and 857 passing yards in his last six games as a Wolverine.
I'm talking about trends, not talent. A couple of months ago, maybe even a month ago you'd be hard pressed to find McCarthy's name mentioned on any Top 5 QB lists on the major sports & draft sites. That's not to say he did or didn't deserver to be on them, it's just that he wasn't. Now he's pretty much moved up to at least the #4 QB and in some even higher. What changed in this short timespan that he's suddenly become one of the hotter topics amongst the potential draftees? I think he's a leader and hey, he's a local boy with respect to my Bears, so it's not like I have anything whatsoever against him. I only question why he's suddenly become such a hot topic.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm talking about trends, not talent. A couple of months ago, maybe even a month ago you'd be hard pressed to find McCarthy's name mentioned on any Top 5 QB lists on the major sports & draft sites. That's not to say he did or didn't deserver to be on them, it's just that he wasn't. Now he's pretty much moved up to at least the #4 QB and in some even higher. What changed in this short timespan that he's suddenly become one of the hotter topics amongst the potential draftees? I think he's a leader and hey, he's a local boy with respect to my Bears, so it's not like I have anything whatsoever against him. I only question why he's suddenly become such a hot topic.
My thread started on January 18th -- which was a month ago. The video I posted on the original post was over a month ago. He was ranked as the 5th best QB in the class. So I think he came out of nowhere. Like I said before, people seem to be judging him based on scheme rather than talent.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most people wasn't sure if JJ was going Pro or not until he announced it a month ago, so I don't think people really bothered adding him to QB rankings or dive into his film until that point. To go along with that, it's no longer a hot take or a headliner to have CW, Maye, Daniels, Nix, or Penix as your "My Guy" at this point. I think JJ is just a relative new topic to talk about which is why he's getting attention and rightfully so but I'm not sure if his draft stock is growing that much

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was looking at pff ratings and all of the top 6 QBs had elite ratings around 90. Including JJ McCarthy. The other QBs like Spencer Rattler had much lower ratings. JJ McCarthy did perform well within his system.

It is possible we see 6 QBs go rd1. I'm leaning towards 5 but if teams don't like next year's class then this is the year to invest

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a list of the combine invites for QBs:

• Jayden Daniels, LSU
  • Sam Hartman, Notre Dame
  • Devin Leary, Kentucky
  • Drake Maye, North Carolina
  • J.J. McCarthy, Michigan
  • Joe Milton III, Tennessee
  • Bo Nix, Oregon
  • Michael Penix Jr., Washington
  • Michael Pratt, Tulane
  • Spencer Rattler, South Carolina
  • Austin Reed, Western Kentucky
  • Kedon Slovis, BYU
  • Jordan Travis, Florida State
  • Caleb Williams, USC
15 invites. Which prospects are looking forward to?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a list of the combine invites for QBs:

• Jayden Daniels, LSU
  • Sam Hartman, Notre Dame
  • Devin Leary, Kentucky
  • Drake Maye, North Carolina
  • J.J. McCarthy, Michigan
  • Joe Milton III, Tennessee
  • Bo Nix, Oregon
  • Michael Penix Jr., Washington
  • Michael Pratt, Tulane
  • Spencer Rattler, South Carolina
  • Austin Reed, Western Kentucky
  • Kedon Slovis, BYU
  • Jordan Travis, Florida State
  • Caleb Williams, USC
15 invites. Which prospects are looking forward to?
Being the Bears have the #1 pick in the draft, just about all of them, LOL. But the obvious focus will be on the top three, Williams, Maye, and Daniels. Then again, if they trade this pick back and in doing so, trade it back far enough to where they are out of the running for any of the top names, here's where looking at the remaining batch might come into play for a potential later round pick.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being the Bears have the #1 pick in the draft, just about all of them, LOL. But the obvious focus will be on the top three, Williams, Maye, and Daniels. Then again, if they trade this pick back and in doing so, trade it back far enough to where they are out of the running for any of the top names, here's where looking at the remaining batch might come into play for a potential later round pick.
That is actually a great answer. You should look at all of them. Gavin Hardison was the only "notable one" I didn't see on their list.

So as a Bears fan, what do you want your prized Chicago Bears to do or what do you think Ryan Poles will do? Are you/Poles thinking Marvin Harrison Jr or going for Williams/Maye/Daniels? Lets face it, those are your best options, unless you want to get into the Joe Alt or Olu debate.

As a lifelong Bills fan since I was 8 years old/1990, I went through 17 years of bad coaching and mind numbingly bad draft picks. My best wishes for your team.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

McCarthy is so hard to evaluate. He does not pass the look test to me, just looks like yet another great college QB who failed in the NFL. Part of it was he was not asked to do that much but when did he actually put the team on his back and carry them to victory?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are the Bears really giving up on Fields?
There are rumors that the Bears will give up Fields for a very high 3rd round pick.

That would be almost perfect for the Patriots. Then they could draft MHJ or trade the #3 for a haul. Arizona slipped and said that they were going to get MHJ at #4. Think they'd give up #4 and #27 to move up to #3 if they want him that bad? Or maybe the Bears offer Fields and #9 and third round pick so they can team up Williams and Harrison? There are a million scenarios.

Then again, Jimmy G is going to be released by the Raiders so they can save themselves a couple million. Anyone think that the Brocos want to hang on to Russell Wilson's $242M contract after benching him last year?

There are 13 teams that are over the Cap already. Expect a cruise liner of bodies to be available in free agency.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are rumors that the Bears will give up Fields for a very high 3rd round pick.

That would be almost perfect for the Patriots. Then they could draft MHJ or trade the #3 for a haul. Arizona slipped and said that they were going to get MHJ at #4. Think they'd give up #4 and #27 to move up to #3 if they want him that bad? Or maybe the Bears offer Fields and #9 and third round pick so they can team up Williams and Harrison? There are a million scenarios.

Then again, Jimmy G is going to be released by the Raiders so they can save themselves a couple million. Anyone think that the Brocos want to hang on to Russell Wilson's $242M contract after benching him last year?

There are 13 teams that are over the Cap already. Expect a cruise liner of bodies to be available in free agency.
So the Packers beating the Bears in Week 18, really did change the dynamic of the NFL Draft.

Seems to me that the Bears would ONLY trade Fields, if they feel he's ceiling is lower than Williams/Maye/Daniels. When I look at the Bears, I do not think QB was their big issue. But I understand that you trade Fields, you get to more picks to bulk up the roster.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How does that work out perfectly for the Pats? Are you saying you want to rebuild around Justin Fields? I don't know how you can rebuild around such an inconsistent QB.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does that work out perfectly for the Pats? Are you saying you want to rebuild around Justin Fields? I don't know how you can rebuild around such an inconsistent QB.
No. Not rebuild around 'him'. The Patriots' offense is in shambles due to Belichick's refusal to acknowledge that he needed an offense to win.

It needs everything from a QB, OL to WRs and TEs. Fields would be the perfect bridge type QB still on a rookie contract. Who knows? Maybe working with Van Pelt will turn his career around. The truth? He's a huge step up from Mac Jones and Bailey Zappe.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Not rebuild around 'him'. The Patriots' offense is in shambles due to Belichick's refusal to acknowledge that he needed an offense to win.

It needs everything from a QB, OL to WRs and TEs. Fields would be the perfect bridge type QB still on a rookie contract. Who knows? Maybe working with Van Pelt will turn his career around. The truth? He's a huge step up from Mac Jones and Bailey Zappe.

I think when you have a chance to draft a highly rated QB you don't fuck around and take your shot. There is no guarantee they will be in this position again, they could end up picking 10th next season in a weaker QB class. Then what? Mortgage the future to trade up and lose a ton of high picks for a lower rated QB? Hope you catch lightning in a bottle twice and find your franchise QB in the later rounds a 2nd time? I would not bet on that.