• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 NFL Draft: The Quarterback Class

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To address the commentary above.

McCarthy started this draft process (still in the baby phase) as a 1st to 2nd round guy. I don't really see that dynamic has changed. The cream is still with Williams, Maye, and Daniels.

If anything I think Rattler joined the McCarthy, Penix, and Nix conversation. The Senior Bowl performance was quite remarkable and he looked better than Bo Nix.

Not sure I understand the scratching of the head over McCarthy. It's pretty obvious when you watch the film -- terrific physical tools. That's what drives QB stock upwards. On top of that, there's a sense that he hasn't peaked. The only thing holding him back is this stat: 204 passing yards per game, and 857 passing yards in his last six games as a Wolverine.

The issue with Rattler is ability to read defenses (or the disregard of doing so in favor of YOLO throws). 23 and 6'1 aren't great selling points either, but not damning in this class.

Those last 6 games for McCarthy are the ones that are valuable truthfully. Their cupcake early schedule is hardly an accurate predictor. Anyone drafting McCarthy is basing his value on traits over actual production and game film. Ideally, that team would have a year or two to sit and develop him.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCarthy is so hard to evaluate. He does not pass the look test to me, just looks like yet another great college QB who failed in the NFL. Part of it was he was not asked to do that much but when did he actually put the team on his back and carry them to victory?
To my knowledge, you have to go back a year when McCarthy had the 2 pick 6s to find Michigan put the team on McCarthy's back (at a really young age) but almost no team wins a game where you have defensive TDs like that.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue with Rattler is ability to read defenses (or the disregard of doing so in favor of YOLO throws). 23 and 6'1 aren't great selling points either, but not damning in this class.

Those last 6 games for McCarthy are the ones that are valuable truthfully. Their cupcake early schedule is hardly an accurate predictor. Anyone drafting McCarthy is basing his value on traits over actual production and game film. Ideally, that team would have a year or two to sit and develop him.
For your first paragraph, you could easily have replaced "Rattler" with "Williams". I would describe Williams game as very inconsistent and full of bad fumbles and missed throws. Williams is only 6'1 too. Just saying.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For your first paragraph, you could easily have replaced "Rattler" with "Williams". I would describe Williams game as very inconsistent and full of bad fumbles and missed throws. Williams is only 6'1 too. Just saying.
Yeah but Williams also makes plays only special players can make.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can't support that comparison at all. We'll see, I guess.

I don't understand the need for people to trash Caleb. Boredom I guess? Been the perceived #1 too long?

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't support that comparison at all. We'll see, I guess.

I don't understand the need for people to trash Caleb. Boredom I guess? Been the perceived #1 too long?
Where have I trashed Caleb Williams?

Everything you said about Rattler, can be applied to Williams.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol...ask Riley.
The only real difference between the two is one got benched for the other.

However, Jalen got benched for Tua. How many people thinks Tua is a better QB than Jalen?

As far as skill sets, I think the two are relatively the same.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caleb Williams is the clear #1 but also has a ton of turnover worthy plays on tape. He could flame out like Jameis Winston but he could also end up a top 5 QB.

Honestly I look at JJ McCarthy and I think he could have turnover issues, too, but with less arm talent. I don't see how a GM could be higher on him than Drake Maye.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only real difference between the two is one got benched for the other.

However, Jalen got benched for Tua. How many people thinks Tua is a better QB than Jalen?

As far as skill sets, I think the two are relatively the same.
I may not have the measureables that you have between Williams and Rattler...But I see a huge difference in composure on the field. Now...I admit I've only seen the OU experience and a handful of SCar. games

I also think for more NFL QB's than not, QB rankings can change from one season to the next. Tua wss better last year and Hurts lapped the field with Tua the season before.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may not have the measureables that you have between Williams and Rattler...But I see a huge difference in composure on the field. Now...I admit I've only seen the OU experience and a handful of SCar. games

I also think for more NFL QB's than not, QB rankings can change from one season to the next. Tua wss better last year and Hurts lapped the field with Tua the season before.
I have looked at both quarterbacks for their last season. Both guys are very impressive. Arm strength, ability to make tight window throws and use the legs to pick up first downs. I am not sure if I understand the composure remark. Williams got a lot of flack for crying after the UCLA loss and for demanding ownership with whoever teams picks him. I don't think Rattler 2021 is the same as Rattler 2023. The growth is pretty evident on tape. On top of that, his Senior Bowl performance was quite impressive and how he was able to outshine everybody with the least amount of snaps.

My big thing here is, if you believe Williams is going to be a team player and love football over money, then he's your man. From a skill set point-of-view, Williams is QB1 or QB2. I still think Jayden Daniels is the best QB prospect in the draft.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rattler averages: 19 TD, 8 INT, 4 rushing TD over 4 years (left out his minimal true frosh season)
Caleb averages: 31 TD, 4.7 INT, 9 rushing TD over 3 years

The error/success rates are FAR different. Almost double the TDs and half the INTs, 600 more passing yards and more than double the rushing yards per season.. Caleb did get more volume, but it was only about 40 att/season.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying that means you consider them similar prospects, which is simply not true.
They are similar, when it comes to passing skills and inconsistencies. I am not ranking Rattler ahead of Williams -- if that's what you're thinking. Just pointing out that you could argue that Williams makes wildly bad decisions. Williams is not a perfect prospect. Also, I fully expect Rattler to get a NFL boost by his excellent Senior Bowl performance.

Bringing out the stat sheet is another problematic area: Baker Mayfield put up much better stats than Josh Allen. Would you really consider Mayfield a better player than Josh Allen? Stat sheet is one of the least relevant variables, when looking at a QB.

We're talking about skill set, not stats. For example, I was very high on Jordan Love, even though he committed the 4th most turnovers in the 2019 college football season. My view is purely on what they bring to the table.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are similar, when it comes to passing skills and inconsistencies. I am not ranking Rattler ahead of Williams -- if that's what you're thinking. Just pointing out that you could argue that Williams makes wildly bad decisions. Williams is not a perfect prospect. Also, I fully expect Rattler to get a NFL boost by his excellent Senior Bowl performance.

Bringing out the stat sheet is another problematic area: Baker Mayfield put up much better stats than Josh Allen. Would you really consider Mayfield a better player than Josh Allen? Stat sheet is one of the least relevant variables, when looking at a QB.

We're talking about skill set, not stats. For example, I was very high on Jordan Love, even though he committed the 4th most turnovers in the 2019 college football season. My view is purely on what they bring to the table.
I think stats matter when it comes to older prospects. That's why Levis dropped to rd2 imo. Love, Allen, JJ? Stats not super important.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think stats matter when it comes to older prospects. That's why Levis dropped to rd2 imo. Love, Allen, JJ? Stats not super important.
Stats are important, but we have seen too many times when "stat champions" turned into terrible prospects. Also, I don't think South Carolina and USC should be seen as the same type of school. My only point here is that Rattler is looking better than expected. Look, I was surprised when I was watching tape of him for the 2023 season. I think he can do the same things as Maye and Williams. The poster accused me of trying to "tear down Williams", when all what I did was say nice things about Rattler.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stats are important, but we have seen too many times when "stat champions" turned into terrible prospects. Also, I don't think South Carolina and USC should be seen as the same type of school. My only point here is that Rattler is looking better than expected. Look, I was surprised when I was watching tape of him for the 2023 season. I think he can do the same things as Maye and Williams. The poster accused me of trying to "tear down Williams", when all what I did was say nice things about Rattler.
Which games were you watching from 2023? Rattler is tough for 'guy on the sofa' to evaluate because the good teams just blitzed him on every passing down and it worked. I'm not combing through these QBs too carefully because the Chiefs dont need one but Caleb seems more accurate and Maye seems to be able to work through progressions better.

The worry I see with Rattler is that if the college game was too fast then he has no chance in the NFL. That said, I'm a Mizzou fan. I get it. It sucks being outmatched in the SEC. There is a possibility that he gets to the NFL and his teammates are so much better that he can Dak his way into the league. I've seen the Zach Wilson comp for Rattler. The ceiling is high but oh boy is that floor really low.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which games were you watching from 2023? Rattler is tough for 'guy on the sofa' to evaluate because the good teams just blitzed him on every passing down and it worked. I'm not combing through these QBs too carefully because the Chiefs dont need one but Caleb seems more accurate and Maye seems to be able to work through progressions better.

The worry I see with Rattler is that if the college game was too fast then he has no chance in the NFL. That said, I'm a Mizzou fan. I get it. It sucks being outmatched in the SEC. There is a possibility that he gets to the NFL and his teammates are so much better that he can Dak his way into the league. I've seen the Zach Wilson comp for Rattler. The ceiling is high but oh boy is that floor really low.
Georgia game was the big one.