• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 NFL Draft: The Quarterback Class

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stats are important, but we have seen too many times when "stat champions" turned into terrible prospects. Also, I don't think South Carolina and USC should be seen as the same type of school. My only point here is that Rattler is looking better than expected. Look, I was surprised when I was watching tape of him for the 2023 season. I think he can do the same things as Maye and Williams. The poster accused me of trying to "tear down Williams", when all what I did was say nice things about Rattler.

"The poster" lol? You can use my name, no big deal.

The way you phrased it I took as you had Rattler and Caleb closer to each other as prospects than I agreed with, nothing more. People are searching for faults with Caleb and seemingly forgiving them on lesser candidates to try to elevate them into the discussion.

Coming out of HS, they were pretty equal as prospects overall. Rattler has done damage to that projection, whereas Caleb has not.

There is no such thing as a perfect prospect, all have faults. Everyone makes poor decisions. However, when those poor decisions are by a more experienced player at more than 2x the frequency, they need to be evaluated accordingly. I like Rattler as a dart throw to develop (maybe for the Rams, better than their attempt with the invisible man Stetson Bennett). I don't see issues with Caleb to prevent him from being QB #1 in this class and the likely #1 overall pick.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which games were you watching from 2023? Rattler is tough for 'guy on the sofa' to evaluate because the good teams just blitzed him on every passing down and it worked.

So would you say he got "Rattled"?

rim-shot-badum-tss.gif

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My personal rankings of the QBs and some embarrassing comps with little thought put into them. I probably wont look at these players again until Chris Simms makes a list.

1. Caleb Williams, Southern California (Brett Favre)
2. Drake Maye, North Carolina (Trevor Lawrence)

3. Jayden Daniels, Louisiana State (Tyrod Taylor)
4. J.J McCarthy, Michigan (Daniel Jones)
5. Bo Nix, Oregon (Brock Purdy)

6. Michael Penix Jr, Washington (Drew Lock)
7. Jordan Travis Florida St
8. Spencer Rattler South Carolina

9. Michael Pratt, Tulane

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My personal rankings of the QBs and some embarrassing comps with little thought put into them. I probably wont look at these players again until Chris Simms makes a list.

9. Michael Pratt, Tulane
I like it. And obviously, our rankings will change.

Here's mine:
1. Jayden Daniels
2. Caleb Williams
3. Drake Maye
4. JJ McCarthy
5. Bo Nix
6. Michael Penix
7. Spencer Rattler
8. Jordan Travis
9. Michael Pratt (least impressive)

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

9. Michael Pratt, Tulane

The order? Sure. Those comps? Ah.....no.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I expect all of the comps to be wrong because QBs are so unique as players. Comps are kinda worthless for the position. Its all about upside.
Comps are worthless now bc it is difficult to find QB's with a similar play style like QB's who played back in the days. I guess we use current era comps but even then it is difficult. You pretty much have to give a floor comp and ceiling comp...that's why they are worthless. Nobody really has no clue who will succeed especially when you have to take into account the franchise that drafts them and the coaching.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comps are worthless now bc it is difficult to find QB's with a similar play style like QB's who played back in the days. I guess we use current era comps but even then it is difficult. You pretty much have to give a floor comp and ceiling comp...that's why they are worthless. Nobody really has no clue who will succeed especially when you have to take into account the franchise that drafts them and the coaching.
I think its abnormally difficult in this draft, too, because there are so many old QB prospects. So you have guys that on average are both more athletic and older than usual prospects. Then you have JJ McCarthy who threw for like 130 yards a game down the stretch. You have even guys who have an opinion on everyone (like Mel Kiper Jr) coming out and saying that he could be anything and they dont want to commit to a take.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually replace Tyrod with Fields and it's spot on
In a lot of ways that would be a really harsh comp for Jayden Daniels just because Fields has been given a lot of chances due to his age and physical size. In college Fields made a ton of big time throws but the question was (and still is) whether or not he can actually process the game. I think the comp for Fields coming out was Carson Wentz mixed with Cam Newton. Teams knew he had to develop. I think Jordan Travis will get the 'this guy needs to develop' label this draft. Everyone else is probably expected to play year 1.

If teams are that low on Jayden Daniels, he is probably a Raider and not a Patriot or Commander.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a lot of ways that would be a really harsh comp for Jayden Daniels just because Fields has been given a lot of chances due to his age and physical size. In college Fields made a ton of big time throws but the question was (and still is) whether or not he can actually process the game. I think the comp for Fields coming out was Carson Wentz mixed with Cam Newton. Teams knew he had to develop. I think Jordan Travis will get the 'this guy needs to develop' label this draft. Everyone else is probably expected to play year 1.

If teams are that low on Jayden Daniels, he is probably a Raider and not a Patriot or Commander.
I don't think it's harsh because I believe Fields is a solid NFL QB. I just see a lot of similarities between the 2 coming out.
Great arm, accuracy, Size, mobility, played well in big games. But both played in a simplified offense with great WRs and OL so I question Daniels ability to quickly progress through reads as much as I did with Fields coming out. Both still have upside so I think Daniels goes somewhere in the top 10

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Jordan Travis will get the 'this guy needs to develop' label this draft. Everyone else is probably expected to play year 1.
I think Caleb, Maye (High ceiling but could use a year), Daniels, Nix start year 1. Everyone else is dependent on team as they might be sitting behind a vet

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Caleb, Maye (High ceiling but could use a year), Daniels, Nix start year 1. Everyone else is dependent on team as they might be sitting behind a vet

McCarthy should definitely be learning for a year, but it also wouldn't surprise me to see someone throw him right out there. Penix too, but maybe a little less likely if he indeed falls to the 2nd round as currently projected (I don't think he gets out of the 1st).

It's funny how everyone was pushing Penix up their draft boards after their playoff win, then dropped him further than he was previously after a bad game against the best defense in the country.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCarthy should definitely be learning for a year, but it also wouldn't surprise me to see someone throw him right out there. Penix too, but maybe a little less likely if he indeed falls to the 2nd round as currently projected (I don't think he gets out of the 1st).

It's funny how everyone was pushing Penix up their draft boards after their playoff win, then dropped him further than he was previously after a bad game against the best defense in the country.
Penix in some ways reminds me of Hendon Hooker last year. Really productive in an offense where they just stacked up talented receivers and really killed it. I have a hard time getting a read on Penix and Polk in that offense. Odunze seems great.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penix in some ways reminds me of Hendon Hooker last year. Really productive in an offense where they just stacked up talented receivers and really killed it. I have a hard time getting a read on Penix and Polk in that offense. Odunze seems great.

Penix has some amazing tape of dropping in perfect passes, especially deep. Hell, even in just the semifinal game he was great. He's never going to be a running threat, but I could really seem him following Stafford in LA for example.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penix has some amazing tape of dropping in perfect passes, especially deep. Hell, even in just the semifinal game he was great. He's never going to be a running threat, but I could really seem him following Stafford in LA for example.
I think Seattle is probably the fit with him and I could see the Rams being in play. How do you feel about Spencer Rattler on the Rams?

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I just think he needs a little bit more pocket mobility to extend plays and he will be good but then again we were knocking Stroud for the same thing last year