• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 NFL Draft: The Quarterback Class

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think some guys use that "generational" word more than they should. Pitts was a very hyped up prospect, I never got the generational stuff. That term should be used very lightly.

I mean for a QB it was used very lightly back in the day. Every 15-20 years. I feel like it is used more now bc you see guys that are absolute athletic freaks. I even draw a line between "can't miss" and "generational". I only saw one QB drafted that I felt was a generational type of prospect and that was Andrew Luck. I don't believe Caleb is that type of prospect, doesn't mean he can't be a future pro bowler or all-pro guy.

I think it's acceptable to use it when the high school #1 QB continues to be #1 in college and wins a Heisman as a true Soph. Seems like people are digging for flaws with Caleb to the point where painted finger nails and an emotional response to a tough loss are now seen as character flaws.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only saw one QB drafted that I felt was a generational type of prospect and that was Andrew Luck. I don't believe Caleb is that type of prospect, doesn't mean he can't be a future pro bowler or all-pro guy.
What made Andrew Luck generational was that he was so safe. I think I saw more than a few people suggest that RG3 had more upside. Andrew Luck's floor was top 10 QB. As it turns out, you have the worst roster in the league and a QB has to carry it he gets injured a lot and has a short career.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What made Andrew Luck generational was that he was so safe. I think I saw more than a few people suggest that RG3 had more upside. Andrew Luck's floor was top 10 QB. As it turns out, you have the worst roster in the league and a QB has to carry it he gets injured a lot and has a short career.

Yep, seems to be you actually need to build an offensive line to protect your QB. Who'd a thunk it?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's acceptable to use it when the high school #1 QB continues to be #1 in college and wins a Heisman as a true Soph. Seems like people are digging for flaws with Caleb to the point where painted finger nails and an emotional response to a tough loss are now seen as character flaws.
I mean then Trevor Lawrence was generational too. I don't think either was a perfect prospect and that is what generational is right? The perfect prospect. That is why it should be used lightly. Doesn't mean Caleb won't be a great player but there are flaws in his game.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree he was the safe pick without a doubt but I still see a difference between safe and generational. Generational is not only the safe pick but he literally checks every single box and has basically no question marks whether that be mechanics, combine, off the fields, mental, etc. I don't see Caleb having any off the fields issues but he does have some question marks on the field.

If generational was also just safe then there would be quite a few of generational guys especially if a draft has less depth at QB or a certain position

Do you think Caleb's floor is a top 10 QB? Just curious

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree he was the safe pick without a doubt but I still see a difference between safe and generational. Generational is not only the safe pick but he literally checks every single box and has basically no question marks whether that be mechanics, combine, off the fields, mental, etc. I don't see Caleb having any off the fields issues but he does have some question marks on the field.

If generational was also just safe then there would be quite a few of generational guys especially if a draft has less depth at QB or a certain position

Do you think Caleb's floor is a top 10 QB? Just curious
I guess I see safe and checking every box as the same thing. To me, generational is usually more about someone being off the charts. Aaron Donald, Derrick Henry, and Patrick Mahomes didn't check all of the boxes.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I see safe and checking every box as the same thing. To me, generational is usually more about someone being off the charts. Aaron Donald, Derrick Henry, and Patrick Mahomes didn't check all of the boxes.
I think the only difference is what if it is a weak QB class. #1 QB stands out AND that team needs a QB. I see that as a safe pick but the guy could have some question marks. So I think it should rarely be used but in the grand scheme--it is stupid. It's still a projection of experts opinions. Like you said, we see now Mahomes was the generational talent but bc experts saw his flaws as real flaws (throwing with weird arm angles) instead of strengths he was drafted at 10.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean then Trevor Lawrence was generational too. I don't think either was a perfect prospect and that is what generational is right? The perfect prospect. That is why it should be used lightly. Doesn't mean Caleb won't be a great player but there are flaws in his game.

There are flaws in everyone's game

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Aaron Donald won just about every award he could win other than the Heisman in college and was still projected as a 2nd rounder for most of the lead up to the draft because of his height and length. Better to underestimate than over-rate I guess...

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I must have missed Trevor winning the Heisman then...

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron Donald won just about every award he could win other than the Heisman in college and was still projected as a 2nd rounder for most of the lead up to the draft because of his height and length. Better to underestimate than over-rate I guess...
I don't remember thinking he was a second rounder. He tested off the charts.

I do remember wanting the Rams to draft Jake Matthews or Sammy Watkins at 2 due to needs but iirc it felt like Donald dropped to the 2nd Rams pick and not that the Rams reached.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Painted finger nails is a giant red flag. Doesn't mean he can't be good, but that is a sign of psychological problems you just won't want to deal with.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must have missed Trevor winning the Heisman then...
Missing the point. Trevor was a perfect prospect coming out of high school and was projected the consensus #1 pick throughout his time at Clemson. His prospect score was 101. He was the most hyped prospect since Clowney, since he was a QB you could say he was more hyped actually

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missing the point. Trevor was a perfect prospect coming out of high school and was projected the consensus #1 pick throughout his time at Clemson. His prospect score was 101. He was the most hyped prospect since Clowney, since he was a QB you could say he was more hyped actually

...and? Has he proven to not be a top QB prospect? Most blame any shortcomings on the Jags team, not the QB himself. Pro bowl in 2022.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hate it with all the labels put on these guys. It starts in the 8th grade and remains nothing but an opinion....like Chris Fucking Sims

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and? Has he proven to not be a top QB prospect? Most blame any shortcomings on the Jags team, not the QB himself. Pro bowl in 2022.
Well right now he isn't a top 10 QB in the league imo, last year was a different story. 2 out of 3 years he has been less than impressive

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well right now he isn't a top 10 QB in the league imo, last year was a different story. 2 out of 3 years he has been less than impressive

You can thank Urban Meyer for that rookie season. Got a little TO happy last year, otherwise his stats are steady from 2022.