• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 NBA Offseason

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kawhi would do LA some favors if he made his decision to retire as soon as he can. LA would have around $10M in cap space. They could at least pick up a decent option

Assuming there is some kind of clause the contract would be voided.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah definitely

I feel like I could see a scenario where Detroit is part of a 3 team deal with okoro on a S and T for Thompson. The pick of Holland makes Thompson pretty redundant. Not sure Thompson can pass a physical right now though. Also money is tight everywhere but utah.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep 3 options and only one gets his bag. The other two basically half of what he is asking still. If none of those teams are interested basically a one year prove it for less than a quarter lol.

IdUtah.
Dude had his worst year in like 5 years and asked for 25 million lol.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like I could see a scenario where Detroit is part of a 3 team deal with okoro on a S and T for Thompson. The pick of Holland makes Thompson pretty redundant. Not sure Thompson can pass a physical right now though. Also money is tight everywhere but utah.
Isn’t he only a second year guy? I mean it all depends on how much Okoro wants I think they can afford to pay him around $14M and not go into that 2nd apron. A lower salary guy does make sense in a sign-and-trade but a guy with less experience makes less sense.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn’t he only a second year guy? I mean it all depends on how much Okoro wants I think they can afford to pay him around $14M and not go into that 2nd apron. A lower salary guy does make sense in a sign-and-trade but a guy with less experience makes less sense.
Are the Cavs already above the first apron or would signing Okoro put them there?

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So then my question becomes - is he worth going over the 1st apron?

Imo...not as he is today. But if he continued to develop that shot and play good D maybe

I'd like Detroit to go for him (even if outright) as insurance for Thompson. Blood clots at 21 can't be good. And at 23 (Thompson was an oldish G league player at 21) he's not much older.

But I can also see the advantage to Detroit hanging on to that cap space into the year.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What’s up with Tatum keeping Brown off of the U.S. Olympic team?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So then my question becomes - is he worth going over the 1st apron?
1720796302928.png

So this doesn't include the $11.8M QO. So that would leave them with 5.2M for MLE guy or just to give Okoro a little raise.

Okoro won't get more than $16M...I say more than, most like $12-14M is my guess. They won't go into the 2nd apron in this situation.

The bigger question..making a move for Cam Johnson, for example, is it worth going into the 2nd apron? Is it making that big of a difference. Okoro is 23, improved his 3 ball and even though he is only 6'5" he is a top tier defender.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing Okoro for nothing...which I don't expect, would be pretty bad. That can't happen. So even if a team were to offer him $16M...Cavs could match without going into the 2nd apron. They gotta hope he improves so they can use his salary in a future trade.

For example, you could pair Levert + Okoro in a trade to match a salary around $33M in that case. A move at the deadline.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 367089

So this doesn't include the $11.8M QO. So that would leave them with 5.2M for MLE guy or just to give Okoro a little raise.

Okoro won't get more than $16M...I say more than, most like $12-14M is my guess. They won't go into the 2nd apron in this situation.

The bigger question..making a move for Cam Johnson, for example, is it worth going into the 2nd apron? Is it making that big of a difference. Okoro is 23, improved his 3 ball and even though he is only 6'5" he is a top tier defender.
That’s what’s complicating things. In a vacuum, I’m taking Cam Johnson over Okoro. But I don’t think adding Cam makes the Cavs a top 2-3 team and a legit championship team so why go over the 2nd apron. Holding on to Okoro is likely their best course.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s what’s complicating things. In a vacuum, I’m taking Cam Johnson over Okoro. But I don’t think adding Cam makes the Cavs a top 2-3 team and a legit championship team so why go over the 2nd apron. Holding on to Okoro is likely their best course.
I agree so better off waiting for a possible better market near the deadline and flipping an expiring, Levert, and possibly Okoro or Niang. I mean you never know who will come available at the deadline. Right now it is pretty dry

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is Ifs and Buts stuff.

It’s clear at this point that Scotty Barnes is on his way to being an All NBA performer. I don’t think there are many people that wood disagree with that. Mobley COULD be an All NBA performer someday. He hasn’t shown that he can be that guy yet. He’s shown flashes that have people excited. He hasn’t shown a level of consistency that Barnes has. Barnes has already made the transition to being the first guy listed on the scouting report and he still puts up numbers. Mobley has had the good fortune of being the 3rd or 4th guy the defense worries about.

Mobley hasn’t really earned his max yet. However, as you and others have pointed out, this is often the case with the highly drafted rookies. This is the cost of doing business if you want to keep that guy on your team.
agree with some of what you say, but, I mean, even on a bad team where few if any others could score the guy was only 4-5 ppg more than Mobley. As a wing, sure, he gets a few more assists (3, though, for a 7 footer not bad with 2 ball dominant guards). do you really think if Mobley was on Toronto instead of Barnes and Barnes played with Garland, Allen and Mitchell things don't look different? I mean Markkanen didn't even have Mitchell there and was only around 15 ppg when here but then he leaves to play for a bad team and his numbers go up bigtime.

not sure how impressive the putting up numbers as first guy listed on report is as LM does that now in Utah and, hell, Sexton did that when he was here. Mobley is clearly a far more efficient shooter so if he plays where there are more shots available seems likely he'd score more, no? and maybe his elite D leads to more winning?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, even on a bad team where few if any others could score the guy was only 4-5 ppg more than Mobley. As a wing, sure, he gets a few more assists (3 for a 7 footer not bad with 2 ball dominant guards, though). do you really think if Mobley was on Toronto instead of Barnes and Barnes played with Garland, Allen and Mitchell things might look different? I mean Markkanen didn't even have Mitchell there and was only around 15 ppg but then he leaves to play for a bad team and his numbers go up bigtime.
I think Barnes would be an All Star on your team and the 2nd best player. He’s a Swiss Army knife. He would make Garland and Mitchell better. If Barnes were on the Cavs and not Mobley, they’d be in conversation with the Celtics Knicks and Sixers in the East. Barnes isn’t timid the way Mobley is. Mobley doesn’t assert himself. Barnes has been asserting himself since he entered Raptors lineup and demanded touches over guys like Siakam and FVV who were already established in the league.
not sure how impressive the putting up numbers as first guy listed on report is as LM does that now in Utah and, hell, Sexton did that when he was here. Mobley is clearly a far more efficient shooter so if he plays where there are more shots available seems likely he'd score more, no? and maybe his elite D leads to more winning?
Outside of defense I don’t have Mobley over Barnes in any skill.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think I take Cam over Okoro but this might be another situation where if Okoro plays for a terrible team his numbers go up. Guy often played really well and scored a lot more with no Garland/Mitchell and needing more scoring from him.

I just don't like Cam as much as some do (Not sure if available but prefer Hunter). I do think because of those aprons plan is to hold onto Okoro. Have also been hearing from many that Cavs might be looking to shed salary to make a deal they'd like to make. But who knows?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Barnes would be an All Star on your team and the 2nd best player. He’s a Swiss Army knife. He would make Garland and Mitchell better. If Barnes were on the Cavs and not Mobley, they’d be in conversation with the Celtics Knicks and Sixers in the East. Barnes isn’t timid the way Mobley is. Mobley doesn’t assert himself. Barnes has been asserting himself since he entered Raptors lineup and demanded touches over guys like Siakam and FVV who were already established in the league.

Outside of defense I don’t have Mobley over Barnes in any skill.
as I said I do like the guy and am in no way trying to rip him. 2nd best player? Maybe, but even if he's better than Garland, having Garland (along with Mitchell and Allen, too) is going to make those scoring and assist numbers for Barnes go down. I dont think he'd be better or at least more important than Allen if we had Barnes.

FYI, can make very strong case Mitchell has had the 2 best seasons of his career on the Cavs so not sure how much better Barnes makes him.

Hopefully in your hiatus you really have changed and will own you made a factually incorrect comment. Barnes has demanded touches since he entered lineup? Not so sure about that and it certainly did not lead to many more shots than Mobley attempted. as rookies, Mobley took 12 per for 15 ppg and barnes took a whopping 12.6 shots for 15.3 ppg.

FYI, the type of defensive skill Mobley can play - guard 1-5 and an elite defender at 7-0 even on perimeter is as important as nearly any skill in today's NBA. But I'd add he's as good or better in post than Barnes and, sure, because of his height. And as a wing Barnes should be a better 3 point shooter than Mobley. But he's not.