• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Spring Training

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opening Day Roster 3.0

C -- Bart, Perez, Sabol
1B - LWJ
2B - Tyro
SS - Craw
3B - VR
OF - Forto, Meetch, Yaz, Hebrew
UT - Flowers, Davis
SP - Webb, Cobb, Disco, Wood, Strip, Manaea
BP - Doval, TaRog, Junis, TyRog, Brebbia, Alexander, Jelly
Why Hjelle? Seems unnecessary to carry 13 pitchers early in the season.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slightly off topic but I don't feel like starting a new thread just for this . . .

Did anyone else notice that the tweaks to the new rules include canning bat boys/girls if they are "too slow"? :eek:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slightly off topic but I don't feel like starting a new thread just for this . . .

Did anyone else notice that the tweaks to the new rules include canning bat boys/girls if they are "too slow"? :eek:
I read this as "caining" and thought...give 'em no run support??

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FZ on the Giants broadcast last night (I just watched it):
1. Sabol, Bryce and Jelly will make the OD roster.
2. Slater and Meetch headed for IL
3. Schmitt is close. Will start in AAA but should be up soon. Will play both 3B and SS in Sac.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3. Schmitt is close. Will start in AAA but should be up soon. Will play both 3B and SS in Sac.
Jackson and Gonzo to the 60 to make room for Perez and Johnson. No probs there…

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jackson and Gonzo to the 60 to make room for Perez and Johnson. No probs there…
Surprised that Hjelle is making the roster. I thought he'd keep him at AAA as a started for depth. Of course, they have Harrison there, so . . .
Unfortunately, with Haniger and Slater both on the IL, that means we'll probably see some Pederson in left field. In fact, he'll probably be there on a regular basis unless Kapler actually realizes how bad a fielder he is or Haniger gets healthy enough to field.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised that Hjelle is making the roster. I thought he'd keep him at AAA as a started for depth. Of course, they have Harrison there, so . . .
Unfortunately, with Haniger and Slater both on the IL, that means we'll probably see some Pederson in left field. In fact, he'll probably be there on a regular basis unless Kapler actually realizes how bad a fielder he is or Haniger gets healthy enough to field.
I doubt Hebrew is going to play more than the occasional late inning in the OF.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt Hebrew is going to play more than the occasional late inning in the OF.
Do you see Johnson getting regular time in left? More Wade in the outfield, to make room for Davis and/or Villar? It will be interesting to watch how that all is managed.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you see Johnson getting regular time in left? More Wade in the outfield, to make room for Davis and/or Villar? It will be interesting to watch how that all is managed.
Indeed. I see Johnson as Yaz insurance in CF. I see Sabol getting time in LF as well. LWJ will play mostly at 1B -- vs. LHP and RHP. Can't see him getting much time in the OF but maybe.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed. I see Johnson as Yaz insurance in CF. I see Sabol getting time in LF as well. LWJ will play mostly at 1B -- vs. LHP and RHP. Can't see him getting much time in the OF but maybe.
Completely forgot about Sabol. Okay, maybe you are correct about Pederson not getting much outfield time.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Wilson has quietly had a fantastic camp for the Giants: 8-25, 2 2B, 2 HR, 13 RBI, 6 BB, and 7 SO. He is not on the 40-man roster, but he is an experienced SS while spending time at 2B/3B as well.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 cents on Casey Schmitt:

I don't think it is a bad thing for him to begin the year in AAA. He's performed well in spring training and that is exciting to see. That said, the MiLB ladder is a process and few have been able to bypass AAA for the majors. It happens (Hello, Pablo Sandoval), but that should be treated as the exception, not the rule. He's going to be up soon, but you'd really like to see him have more than 143 PA above High-A before calling him up because, ideally, once you call him up, he's up for good.

Putting up numbers in spring training is not indicative of regular season performance in the majors or minors. Plus, let's see what David Villar can do. He finished the year on a positive note last year. Maybe giving Schmitt more time at shortstop in AAA allows the Giants to keep both Schmitt and Villar on the left side of the infield. But, I understand why Schmitt should be playing 3B.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I see it, there are still 30 players in big league camp, who are not injured (and Cobb, who is still a possibility to make the OP roster). These following 30 players have an average of 30 years old:
Pitchers - Doval, Hjelle (25); Webb (26); Junis (30); Manaea (31); Brebbia, DeSclafani, Taylor Rogers, Tyler Rogers, Wood (32); Alexander, Stripling (33); Cobb (35); Romo (40)
Catchers - Bart (26); Wynns (32); Perez (34)
Infielders - Schmitt, Wisely (24); Villar (26); Estrada (27); Davis, Wade (29); Flores (31); Crawford (36)
Outfielders - Sabol (25); Johnson (27); Conforto, Pederson (30); Yastrzemski (32)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joey Bart 0-6 in his last 7 PAs with 6Ks and 1BB.

Probably not a great sign for him that Wynns is still in camp. It makes me think that they're considering starting his year in AAA and he hasn't done enough to change that.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumblings from camp suggest Bart may still get sent to AAA and both Perez and Wynns make the roster. Considering that Johnson and Perez have both been promised a spot, Wynns would require a 3rd spot to open on the 40 man roster. It is possible that all of Jackson, Szapucki and Gonzalez get placed on the 60 day IL. That could open a spot for Wynns, or, thinking a bit outside the box, maybe Wilson! If Cobb gets shelved for a week, the Giants could carry 12 pitchers and bring in an extra fielder. Wilson seems like a good fit because he hasn't been optioned yet and will need to be protected this offseason anyway. His spring has been much more impressive than Wisely and he carries little risk of being lost early in the season, unlike Piscotty (his two main competitors for the spot. I'm not counting Schmitt as I doubt that they want to start his clock in the big leagues just yet).
If Wilson or Piscotty get added, I would doubt Wynns makes the club and I think Bart sticks. However, the Giants could trade or dfa someone (Diaz, Long, Beck or Winn) to make that 4th spot available.

Joey Bart 0-6 in his last 7 PAs with 6Ks and 1BB.

Probably not a great sign for him that Wynns is still in camp. It makes me think that they're considering starting his year in AAA and he hasn't done enough to change that.
Hmm, wonder where I've heard that idea before.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ten predictions from Grant Brisbee today:

1. Kyle Harrison won’t reach the majors this year​

2. Mike Yastrzemski will be pretty danged good​

3. Brett Wisely will get 250 plate appearances in the majors this season​

4. Thairo Estrada’s defensive stats will be fine across the board​

5. The Diamondbacks are going to drive everyone in the NL West bananas​

6. Alex Wood will be more 2021 than 2022​

7. The Giants have spent all offseason figuring out a way to take advantage of the new rules, and you’ll notice​

8. Jakob Junis eases into a traditional high-leverage reliever role​

9. Ismael Munguia will be a prospect that lives in your head all next offseason​

10. One of the Giants’ previous first-round picks will get you excited again​

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ten predictions from Grant Brisbee today:

1. Kyle Harrison won’t reach the majors this year​

2. Mike Yastrzemski will be pretty danged good​

3. Brett Wisely will get 250 plate appearances in the majors this season​

4. Thairo Estrada’s defensive stats will be fine across the board​

5. The Diamondbacks are going to drive everyone in the NL West bananas​

6. Alex Wood will be more 2021 than 2022​

7. The Giants have spent all offseason figuring out a way to take advantage of the new rules, and you’ll notice​

8. Jakob Junis eases into a traditional high-leverage reliever role​

9. Ismael Munguia will be a prospect that lives in your head all next offseason​

10. One of the Giants’ previous first-round picks will get you excited again​

Why #1? Does he think Harrison is way over-hyped? Or does he expect the starting 6 to be healthy all year?

I hope he is right about Munguia. I think he's been overlooked on some prospect lists and has moved slowly in the org (compared to some other guys).

Number 10 seems way too generic, unless he is hinting at Ramos.