• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Spring Training Thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems there has to be a tipping point somewhere doesn’t it? Tech bros can’t sustain all live events. Won’t pretend to be an expert or even a novice about the subject we are talking about but it just seems the math doesn’t add up without either the salaries going down or sports completely become corporatized.

One bet I will make with you is within two years there will leaks about possibly having an exhibition game in Saudi Arabia (if they haven’t funded something I don’t know about).
I can't speak for everyone and perhaps I'm completely out of touch here as I don't have a family to pay for, but from personal experience when you have a decent amount of disposable income, the cost hurdles you don't really think about unless it's something like going to the Superbowl. It's one of those things where you'll bitch about paying $20 for a beer, but it's not going to stop you from doing it. I mean shit, when I went to the Mariners playoff game I paid like $250 for a seat in right field (which was actually a pretty good deal considering it was row 1), then spent like another $80 for an uber back to Bellevue and at least $100 on booze.

I actually think they could increase revenue by making the games more affordable, but I suppose the people who run their finance department know better than I do. I've stressed this before and it becomes a bit of a cliche, but it is a business and at the end of the day the biggest objective of ownership is making as much money as possible. Sadly I've become a bit jaded/cynical having worked in corporate America and personally observed how cut throat it can be, but in the end all anyone cares about is money.

Sorry for the essay, probably doesn't come across as it but that was more of a rant from me about how all anyone cares about is squeezing every fucking dollar out of you as possible and they have suckers like me who love the game/franchise so much that we'll pay it.

Also that's a very interesting point about Saudi Arabia. One thing I like about you is you bring up things I never would've thought of. If Saudi Arabia wants an MLB game played in their country, they have the money to do it. I don't know what the finances of it would look like, but the Saudis have so much money to throw around that MLB/teams wouldn't even care about the optics.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners have carved out budget tickets on select events ( BECU value games ) and also some $10 seating for many extra games ( 500 feet from home plate ) They have also recently brought out a $3 menu on select concessions geared towards families with kids ( nachos hot dogs pretzels refillable sodas etc )

Then again they expanded PREMIUM seating with the advent of the pressbox suites that have the same free nice food and free alcohol as the Diamond Club seating. Just allowed them to sell another 500 premium priced tickets ea game. And yea season ticket costs went up again on some seating areas.

Prices will continue to rise till they ( owners ) see no fans at the game(s).

A family of 4 can still enjoy some games for less than $150 taking advantage of budget ticket pricing games - taking light rail to a game ( no $40 parking ) and also packing their own treats in a soft sided cooler ( most fans do not know you can bring your own food and snacks to a ballgame )

But year it is becoming a rich boys playground to enjoy a game from the good seating areas
Thank you, your first sentence gave me an excuse to continue my rant about teams/corporations only caring about money. You know why they provide those budget tickets? Because BECU pays them to have their name attached to the "value games." Any lost revenue from lowering those ticket prices is covered by BECU paying to have their name slapped to the ticket.

I don't know what the press box suites will cost, but the Diamond Club has always been absurdly priced. I'll throw out a ton of money to attend a game, but I think most of those tickets start at $500 for a non-desirable game on a week day.

I suppose over the years I've gotten spoiled, but I'd have no interest in sitting in the cheap seats anymore. I grew up with a single mother and the games I'd attend would be the ones where we'd get bleacher seats and hopefully somehow sneak into the "good seats," which to me growing up were the area where the King's Court was. Years later I had a buddy who worked for the Mariners would always get me club level seats for pennies, and I got used to that experience. Best baseball experience I've ever had was actually when I was in Pittsburgh I got seats like 10 rows behind home plate (for only $50!) and man the game is just different from that vantage point. Every baseball fan should be able to experience that at least once. Sadly teams just make that financially impossible for the average person due to how expensive those seats are.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So looking at the roster, the last couple fielder spots could be interesting.

Locks:

Murphy
Raleigh
France
Wong
Crawford
Suarez
Kelenic
JRod
Teoscar
Pollock
Moore
Haggerty

Last Spot:

Hummel
Calhoun
La Stella

Hummel has hit and plays like 5 or 6 positions but Calhoun is a good vet bat to have and can still field well. La Stella is a good problem to have.

And is Haggerty a 'Lock'?
That's a tough call.

I don't know what it is, and I'll probably change my tune if things don't go well for him, but man there's something I really like about Sam Haggerty. He's just gritty and with the increase in base size, I see value in him as a pinch runner at a minimum.

Is Hummel eligible to be sent down? I'd rather not lose him.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the M's game right now they asked Servais the biggest change in Kelenic this year and he said it isn't anything on the field it is off the field. He said Kelenic is more involved with teammates and coaches in the dugout, off the field, and having fun with them all. So his demeanor on the field was his his demeanor off the field. He was just an overall pouty-puss.
Where was it televised? I didn't see it on Root earlier.

Everything I've read and seen from Kelenic this Spring Training has actually caused me to go from having absolutely zero faith in him for 2023 to thinking he might've actually finally figured it out. He has just looked a lot different at the plate. I hope it's not just because it's Spring Training, but he has looked calm, confident and his swing has looked great. If he can even hit .250 this year I'd be absolutely thrilled.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a tough call.

I don't know what it is, and I'll probably change my tune if things don't go well for him, but man there's something I really like about Sam Haggerty. He's just gritty and with the increase in base size, I see value in him as a pinch runner at a minimum.

Is Hummel eligible to be sent down? I'd rather not lose him.
I think Hummel can be sent down, but man he is hitting. And he plays catcher, both corner outfields, and both corner infields. They have room for both but Calhoun will have to be released along with La Stella.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where was it televised? I didn't see it on Root earlier.

Everything I've read and seen from Kelenic this Spring Training has actually caused me to go from having absolutely zero faith in him for 2023 to thinking he might've actually finally figured it out. He has just looked a lot different at the plate. I hope it's not just because it's Spring Training, but he has looked calm, confident and his swing has looked great. If he can even hit .250 this year I'd be absolutely thrilled.
It was on Root. Sims and Blowers did the game. My brother and his group were at it.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edwin Diaz's brother Alexis looks just like him. He is playing for P.R.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't speak for everyone and perhaps I'm completely out of touch here as I don't have a family to pay for, but from personal experience when you have a decent amount of disposable income, the cost hurdles you don't really think about unless it's something like going to the Superbowl. It's one of those things where you'll bitch about paying $20 for a beer, but it's not going to stop you from doing it. I mean shit, when I went to the Mariners playoff game I paid like $250 for a seat in right field (which was actually a pretty good deal considering it was row 1), then spent like another $80 for an uber back to Bellevue and at least $100 on booze.

I actually think they could increase revenue by making the games more affordable, but I suppose the people who run their finance department know better than I do. I've stressed this before and it becomes a bit of a cliche, but it is a business and at the end of the day the biggest objective of ownership is making as much money as possible. Sadly I've become a bit jaded/cynical having worked in corporate America and personally observed how cut throat it can be, but in the end all anyone cares about is money.

Sorry for the essay, probably doesn't come across as it but that was more of a rant from me about how all anyone cares about is squeezing every fucking dollar out of you as possible and they have suckers like me who love the game/franchise so much that we'll pay it.

Also that's a very interesting point about Saudi Arabia. One thing I like about you is you bring up things I never would've thought of. If Saudi Arabia wants an MLB game played in their country, they have the money to do it. I don't know what the finances of it would look like, but the Saudis have so much money to throw around that MLB/teams wouldn't even care about the optics.
It’s all good, our replies generally turn into essays. I 100% get the disposable income argument but for the health of baseball it can’t just be for people with a shit load of disposable income. They need the next generation of fans and players. It’s no different than urban areas after WWII where sandlot’s disappeared for housing. There are more youth soccer leagues around than baseball and for some reason lacrosse is gaining steam for young boys.

I mostly brought up Saudi cause as you said they have been tossing a crap load of cash for sporting events and their cash infusion can kick the can down the road so a family can go to games. I don’t know, just a thought.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 step at a time but that would be the best thing for Mariners and lord knows Mariners deserve a big break like him being a full time starter.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited: