• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Spring Training Thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe double this for Cal

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thought as well. It isn't like NFL where you have a cutdown date each week or so. They will still play. Mot sure about the compensation factor though. I know minor leaguers were complaining about that last year. They don't get paid I believe or its minimal.

Edit: Found it but this doesn't answer your question now. It would have in the past so ???

That article I guess is confusing with my question back to you on it lol. Isn’t Campbell on the 40 man right so it isn’t like he making peanuts like the other minor leaguers? I haven’t ever fully understood the minor league pay structure. I know Ryan Anderson was collecting his check when sat on the bench in Tacoma but it was from the Mariners every 2 weeks and I don’t think he ever made the 40 man.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I can see it happening. I think the line has to be drawn somewhere though.

Funny you mention the cable TV thing. I think I'm actually the only person in my friend group that pays for cable television, most of my friends have cut the cord or found cheaper alternatives. The only reason I still pay for cable is because of sports, I'm kind of tooting my own horn here, but I have multiple sources I can use to stream whatever I want for free, but it's just kind of a hassle and sometimes the quality can be quite poor. I've never actually paid for any PPV event I've watched, although I'm starting to consider it more as it's a hassle trying to find a working stream that's 4K.

I see your point regarding ads but I think that there are too many traditionalists to allow ads on uniforms. Additionally, I'm sure Nike or whoever provides the uniforms probably has contractual language preventing such a thing.
I don’t think we are on the verge of the uniforms going full nascar but I think they will be soccerish sooner rather than later. I see your point with Nike and their dumbass uniform rule so who knows. I would hate it but I’d prefer that over having to spend 1k to take my family to a game.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First Paxton gets hurt again and now Hangier is hurt too. Some things never change. Not always a fan of Dipoto but he was correct to move on from these too. When they are healthy, they are money. Just not healthy often enough.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That article I guess is confusing with my question back to you on it lol. Isn’t Campbell on the 40 man right so it isn’t like he making peanuts like the other minor leaguers? I haven’t ever fully understood the minor league pay structure. I know Ryan Anderson was collecting his check when sat on the bench in Tacoma but it was from the Mariners every 2 weeks and I don’t think he ever made the 40 man.
Ya maybe somebody else would know that better than I. I didn't even know until a couple years ago that the minor leaguers weren't being paid for spring training. That makes no sense to me. So I am not sure what benefits the 40man gives you as far as contract. I will have to look that up.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a good, quick read on some advantages. It doesn't mention spring training though.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a good, quick read on some advantages. It doesn't mention spring training though.

More-

40 Man Benefits include but are not limited to:

• $41,400 minimum minor league salary for all Players signing a first Major League contract without having at least one day of Major League service
  • $82,700 minimum for a player signing a second major league contract without having at least one day of Major League service
  • Enrolled in the MLB Health and Wellfare Plan
  • There is no charge for coverage for active MLBPA members an their eligible dependents
  • $450,000 Life Insurance coverage
  • Players are entitled to first-class airfare for any travel that is required or directed by the Club
  • Marijuana Use – Players are now covered by the Major League Joint Drug Program.
    • MLB players are not subjected to random testing for any drugs of abuse, including marijuana. The discipline for testing positive of marijuana use does not result in game suspension unless the player (i) was determined to have flagrantly disregarded his treatment program, and (ii) the commissioner were to determine that the player’s drug use presents a threat to the safety of other players. In that case, the commissioner could suspend the player for his marijuana use.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching todays game has given me a few impressions:
1- The all woman broadcast is amazing...
2- Flexen > Marco.
3- Flexen's trade value is as high as it will probably ever be.
4- Kelenic is a different dude this year. Man I hope this is the real him. He looks...natural.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More-

40 Man Benefits include but are not limited to:

• $41,400 minimum minor league salary for all Players signing a first Major League contract without having at least one day of Major League service
  • $82,700 minimum for a player signing a second major league contract without having at least one day of Major League service
  • Enrolled in the MLB Health and Wellfare Plan
  • There is no charge for coverage for active MLBPA members an their eligible dependents
  • $450,000 Life Insurance coverage
  • Players are entitled to first-class airfare for any travel that is required or directed by the Club
  • Marijuana Use –Players are now covered by the Major League Joint Drug Program.
    • MLB players are not subjected to random testing for any drugs of abuse, including marijuana. The discipline for testing positive of marijuana use does not result in game suspension unless the player (i) was determined to have flagrantly disregarded his treatment program, and (ii) the commissioner were to determine that the player’s drug use presents a threat to the safety of other players. In that case, the commissioner could suspend the player for his marijuana use.
Now I really don’t get why Campbell is moved to minor league camp. Like I said, it doesn’t make a difference whatsoever and isn’t a complaint or anything negative towards the front office. Just seems really weird if it doesn’t cost you money why not have A. An extra big league arm B. Have him face higher quality hitters.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching todays game has given me a few impressions:
1- The all woman broadcast is amazing...
2- Flexen > Marco.
3- Flexen's trade value is as high as it will probably ever be.
4- Kelenic is a different dude this year. Man I hope this is the real him. He looks...natural.

1. watching golf and recording M's game
2. I always thought that
3. I really want him to stay a Mariner ( ins reasons as I doubt our starting 5 stay as healthy as last season )
4. I sure hope you are right as it will have a very big impact in our journey to post season 2023

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think we are on the verge of the uniforms going full nascar but I think they will be soccerish sooner rather than later. I see your point with Nike and their dumbass uniform rule so who knows. I would hate it but I’d prefer that over having to spend 1k to take my family to a game.
Sadly I highly doubt that the cost of attending a game will go down just because the league generates revenue from other sources.

Unfortunately, there are too many people in the area that don't look at the price of attending a game and don't care about the cost. I see the financials details of the people who are in tech and the lowest salary I've seen for an employee in tech is around $130k, and that was a 25 year old who didn't have his stock bonus included in that amount.

They can charge whatever they want for tickets and concession because there is enough money in this region to afford it. With the cost of housing in this region, I don't know how anyone survives on less than $100k a year around here unless they live with family or roommates.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly I highly doubt that the cost of attending a game will go down just because the league generates revenue from other sources.

Unfortunately, there are too many people in the area that don't look at the price of attending a game and don't care about the cost. I see the financials details of the people who are in tech and the lowest salary I've seen for an employee in tech is around $130k, and that was a 25 year old who didn't have his stock bonus included in that amount.

They can charge whatever they want for tickets and concession because there is enough money in this region to afford it. With the cost of housing in this region, I don't know how anyone survives on less than $100k a year around here unless they live with family or roommates.
It seems there has to be a tipping point somewhere doesn’t it? Tech bros can’t sustain all live events. Won’t pretend to be an expert or even a novice about the subject we are talking about but it just seems the math doesn’t add up without either the salaries going down or sports completely become corporatized.

One bet I will make with you is within two years there will leaks about possibly having an exhibition game in Saudi Arabia (if they haven’t funded something I don’t know about).

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I really don’t get why Campbell is moved to minor league camp. Like I said, it doesn’t make a difference whatsoever and isn’t a complaint or anything negative towards the front office. Just seems really weird if it doesn’t cost you money why not have A. An extra big league arm B. Have him face higher quality hitters.
Ya I am still trying to figure that out as well.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Mariners have carved out budget tickets on select events ( BECU value games ) and also some $10 seating for many extra games ( 500 feet from home plate ) They have also recently brought out a $3 menu on select concessions geared towards families with kids ( nachos hot dogs pretzels refillable sodas etc )

Then again they expanded PREMIUM seating with the advent of the pressbox suites that have the same free nice food and free alcohol as the Diamond Club seating. Just allowed them to sell another 500 premium priced tickets ea game. And yea season ticket costs went up again on some seating areas.

Prices will continue to rise till they ( owners ) see no fans at the game(s).

A family of 4 can still enjoy some games for less than $150 taking advantage of budget ticket pricing games - taking light rail to a game ( no $40 parking ) and also packing their own treats in a soft sided cooler ( most fans do not know you can bring your own food and snacks to a ballgame )

But year it is becoming a rich boys playground to enjoy a game from the good seating areas

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the M's game right now they asked Servais the biggest change in Kelenic this year and he said it isn't anything on the field it is off the field. He said Kelenic is more involved with teammates and coaches in the dugout, off the field, and having fun with them all. So his demeanor on the field was his his demeanor off the field. He was just an overall pouty-puss.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So looking at the roster, the last couple fielder spots could be interesting.

Locks:

Murphy
Raleigh
France
Wong
Crawford
Suarez
Kelenic
JRod
Teoscar
Pollock
Moore
Haggerty

Last Spot:

Hummel
Calhoun
La Stella

Hummel has hit and plays like 5 or 6 positions but Calhoun is a good vet bat to have and can still field well. La Stella is a good problem to have.

And is Haggerty a 'Lock'?