• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Rosterbation

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have my probs with Belt, and he is having a horrendous season, but he should be on the list, I think.
Okay, this is weird. I would disagree with you on that. I don't think he belongs on the list - because of his injury history, his age and his numbers from 2022. They combine to suggest he does not belong in the top 2 or 3 tiers of this free agent class.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, this is weird. I would disagree with you on that. I don't think he belongs on the list - because of his injury history, his age and his numbers from 2022. They combine to suggest he does not belong in the top 2 or 3 tiers of this free agent class.
You’re such a hater.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trea Turner…

I like him and it would be great to get him (legit possibility at this point).

Assuming we sign him, what do we do with Craw for ‘23? Does Trae move to 2B for 1 year? Does Craw move to 3B to end his career (you gotta assume ‘23 will be his final season)?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trea Turner…

I like him and it would be great to get him (legit possibility at this point).

Assuming we sign him, what do we do with Craw for ‘23? Does Trae move to 2B for 1 year? Does Craw move to 3B to end his career (you gotta assume ‘23 will be his final season)?
That puts the Giants' FO in quite the quandary. Most of the big name free agents (much like last offseason), not named Judge, are shortstops. Does the FO sign a shortstop and tell Crawford his last season with the team will be as a bench player? Do they hand him the shortstop reins one more time and hope a starting shortstop is willing to play out of position another year? Do they just skip over the shortstops in the market completely?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if/when they buyout Longoria, and Rodon and Joc leave, the payroll next year is only like $65 mil signed right now

The 10th highest payroll this year is $179 mil

The Giants need to go big next year and bring the payroll up at least $100 mil IMO. Bring in like 3-4 impact players. Why not? I think that was what Kawakami was getting at in that Athletic article I posted

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if/when they buyout Longoria, and Rodon and Joc leave, the payroll next year is only like $65 mil signed right now

The 10th highest payroll this year is $179 mil

The Giants need to go big next year and bring the payroll up at least $100 mil IMO. Bring in like 3-4 impact players. Why not? I think that was what Kawakami was getting at in that Athletic article I posted
Yeah, I have about $66M (Ruf and Davis are a wash) for six players under contract (Craw, Wood, Disco, Cobb, Stars, Davis) Add in:

Yaz $5M
Slater $4M
Garcia $2M
Brebbia $2M
Littell, Wade, Rogers, Estrada - $2M each
Webb $4M

That's 15 guys and $91M
Bart, Doval, Long, Gonzo, Junis, Ramos, Villar, Wynns at min is another $8M. 23 guys, $100M

So yeah, 3-4 impact guys is very doable.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will need a front line starter, and pretty much every position except catcher (Which can still be improved via trade if the opportunity arises).

1B - we got no one. Wade? Davis?
2B - Estrada, Wilson, Villar?
SS - Craw’s good bye tour. I expect a small bounce back from this year, but I think he retires after next year.
3B - Villar, Davis

OF - Yaz, Slater, Gonzo(?), Johnson(?), Ramos(?)

SP - Webb, Disco, Cobb, Wood, Junis, Long, Hjelle, Harrison(?) -- that is deep-ish, but we need AT LEAST one more front line guy (Rodon would be great)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will need a front line starter, and pretty much every position except catcher (Which can still be improved via trade if the opportunity arises).

SS - Craw’s good bye tour. I expect a small bounce back from this year, but I think he retires after next year.
3B - Villar, Davis

SP - Webb, Disco, Cobb, Wood, Junis, Long, Hjelle, Harrison(?) -- that is deep-ish, but we need AT LEAST one more front line guy (Rodon would be great)
Dang. That is a pitiful position going into next season. There is not a single position we can just ignore. Even at catcher, we need a back up. And while I think we could consider SS covered, it is not covered by a “moving forward” piece, nor by a “plus-plus” piece (I love ya Craw, but you fell off the cliff HARD).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

he is not under contract for next year, so his Giants career is likely over. Sucks for him that this happens to him at the end of a contract. Financially devastating for him.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants need to go big next year and bring the payroll up at least $100 mil IMO. Bring in like 3-4 impact players. Why not?
You don't from a competitive standpoint because then you are paying market price and then some (perhaps even a lot more) to outbid all the other teams who are bidding up the price on quality players.

The free agent route should be limited to tactically acquiring one or possibly two players to fill specific needs, otherwise you end up overpaying.

Now, from a business standpoint, if you need 3-4 players to fill the seats, and you can turn a profit, by all means.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

3B - Villar, Davis

I think your analysis, while quite good, only serves to depict our rather dire situation. Even I, optimist that I am, am leaning heavily to tanking and trying to improve through the draft. Risky and lengthy time-wise, but trying to buy our way out of this IMHO simply dooms us to mediocrity.

Such an approach may be unfeasible to the FO, however, as the Giants are a business, and must make a profit to survive till the next upswing.

Admittedly, I don't have the slightest idea how many fans are needed to turn an acceptable profit, or if they need any at all.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't from a competitive standpoint because then you are paying market price and then some (perhaps even a lot more) to outbid all the other teams who are bidding up the price on quality players.

The free agent route should be limited to tactically acquiring one or possibly two players to fill specific needs, otherwise you end up overpaying.

Now, from a business standpoint, if you need 3-4 players to fill the seats, and you can turn a profit, by all means.
Going into next season, we only have catcher, SS, 1 SP and the closer LOCKED. Every other position is either empty or open to upgrade.

1B, 3B and essentially the entire bully are all unmanned. Davis might be able to man one of the corners, and hopefully Schmidt could take third by the ASB or so. But we can’t count on him. Same situation with Luciano.

2B CAN be ignored at the moment because Estrada is capable, just not a standout. We also technically have La Stella under contract for next year.

None of the OF spots are locked. I think we can afford to bring in 2 external bodies (and no, Judge does not count as 2 OF bodies, no matter how gigantic that dude is). Ramos and Brown also may be able to at least add some depth to the outfield.

The rotation, as mentioned earlier, is potentially deep, but thin at the top. $$ has to be committed to adding a top flight arm.

The bully can probably be addressed somewhat on the cheap, but lots of new bodies will need to be brought in, and that never produces a known outcome.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think your analysis, while quite good, only serves to depict our rather dire situation. Even I, optimist that I am, am leaning heavily to tanking and trying to improve through the draft. Risky and lengthy time-wise, but trying to buy our way out of this IMHO simply dooms us to mediocrity.

Such an approach may be unfeasible to the FO, however, as the Giants are a business, and must make a profit to survive till the next upswing.

Admittedly, I don't have the slightest idea how many fans are needed to turn an acceptable profit, or if they need any at all.
The tear down needed to be done during Bum’s last year (‘19?). Doing it now is too late. And the ownership group has shown for decades, for generations, that they are unwilling to do a tear-down rebuild. So that option needs to taken off the discussion table.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that we will likely never be a tear it down team. I think we need to solidify:

1b -- I don't believe BB9 will be back, nor is Davis a solution there
2b -- Tyro is fine, Stars is OK as a reserve/DH guy
SS -- Luciano/Craw is probably enough, if the rook develops as expected
3b -- Longo/Schmidt, same as SS
OF -- Judge/Yaz/LWJ is decent, backed up by Slater/Matos maybe...too bad Joc is such an awful fielder
SP -- I'd bring back Rondon; Webb/Rondon/Cobb/Disco/Harrison/Wood/Junis/Hjelle is deep and good.
RP -- total shitshow outside of Doval, Brebbia and Garcia. Need guys like TRog to bounce back and/or new arms that aren't terrible.
Bench -- Winns/Davis/Flores/Slater/Matos....maybe.

So, re-sign Rodon, bring in Judge and Josh Bell, and fix the phuking bullpen. Boom, 2023 WS Champs.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that we will likely never be a tear it down team. I think we need to solidify:

1b -- I don't believe BB9 will be back, nor is Davis a solution there
2b -- Tyro is fine, Stars is OK as a reserve/DH guy
SS -- Luciano/Craw is probably enough, if the rook develops as expected
3b -- Longo/Schmidt, same as SS
OF -- Judge/Yaz/LWJ is decent, backed up by Slater/Matos maybe...too bad Joc is such an awful fielder
SP -- I'd bring back Rondon; Webb/Rondon/Cobb/Disco/Harrison/Wood/Junis/Hjelle is deep and good.
RP -- total shitshow outside of Doval, Brebbia and Garcia. Need guys like TRog to bounce back and/or new arms that aren't terrible.
Bench -- Winns/Davis/Flores/Slater/Matos....maybe.

So, re-sign Rodon, bring in Judge and Josh Bell, and fix the phuking bullpen. Boom, 2023 WS Champs.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.
Flores is not under contract. He may resign, sure, but you can’t put him on the team in pen. I like him, but I think his skills are replaced easily enough.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flores is not under contract. He may resign, sure, but you can’t put him on the team in pen. I like him, but I think his skills are replaced easily enough.
Understood. I don't think the season hinges on his status. But I'd think they'll want to bring him back