• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023-24 Flyers: What's new is old again.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riemsdyk goes to the Bruins for a one year, $1 million deal. Some of these guys coming from the sewer formally known as the Flyers under WTFC have little-to-no-value on the open market
B's and rags getting old fast poor moves IMO. Flyers should let the young guys get ice and improve sooner this way.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twitter has been down this weekend which I realize really cuts off my sports news lol.

Flyers relatively quiet in free agency. NHL guys:
Poehling 1x1.4
Hathaway 2x2.375

I like both signings. Cheap. Short term. Low risk bet on Poehling who was a 1st round pick a few years ago and helps the C depth. Hathaway is one of the good bottom line guys that brings the grit/toughness but is also a decent player.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twitter has been down this weekend which I realize really cuts off my sports news lol.

Poehling 1x1.4
Hathaway 2x2.375

I like both signings. Cheap. Short term. Low risk bet on Poehling who was a 1st round pick a few years ago and helps the C depth. Hathaway is one of the good bottom line guys that brings the grit/toughness but is also a decent player.
I think Hathaway is a good signing to help the young guys learn a good work ethic and how to grind out a game. He is a guy that seems to stand up for teammates, which is certainly a good trend.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Hathaway is a good signing to help the young guys learn a good work ethic and how to grind out a game. He is a guy that seems to stand up for teammates, which is certainly a good trend.
I personally like the signing of Hathaway as that is my type of player.

Do you think he will be blocking the way of one of our young guys? That's why you were happy Hayes was traded.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

More on Gauthier’s absence​

As expected, Cutter Gauthier was not at Day 1 of development camp. On Sunday, GM Daniel Briere did not provide much of an explanation for his absence, noting that he wasn’t worried but that they were still trying to figure out exactly why he chose not to attend.

It wasn’t exactly the most specific answer, especially given the importance of Gauthier — the No. 5 pick in 2022 — to the planned rebuild.

On Monday, the Flyers clarified that it’s their belief that Gauthier declined to attend in large part because of his busy playing schedule over the offseason. Gauthier not only played for Team USA at the World Championships, but he’ll also be attending the World Junior Summer Showcase in Plymouth, Mich., in late July and early August. Briere confirmed that he spoke with Gauthier’s representation at the draft in Nashville last week, and that’s when he learned that Gauthier wouldn’t be attending. Briere again reiterated that he’s not especially concerned about the absence.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Poehling 1x1.4
Hathaway 2x2.375

Like Bellows the Poehling singing will be low risk high reward. Hopefully he turns into that first round pick Montreal thought he could be.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, signing Marc Staal to a one year, $1.1 million deal is a very wise move by Briere. You're getting a veteran guy who plays the game the right way to teach our youngsters how to get the job done at the Nhl level. It's invaluable experience to the franchise and at a very low cost.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, signing Marc Staal to a one year, $1.1 million deal is a very wise move by Briere. You're getting a veteran guy who plays the game the right way to teach our youngsters how to get the job done at the Nhl level. It's invaluable experience to the franchise and at a very low cost.
Agree this is a good move, but Briere had a favorable market to do 1 year signings. Heard a blurb that Bertuzzi’s agent said they totally misread the market. Bertuzzi wanted a long deal, but with Cap realatively flat, and maybe with some of the stupid GM’s (WTFC) gone, there were very few stupid deals offering g big money for long terms.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I haven't been happy about the draft we just had, there is one piece of information I'd like to share with you. We may have pulled off a huge heist. We are trading DeAngelo to Carolina for a prospect named Massimo Rizzo. I've got to see this kid play quite a bit and have been impressed constantly by his maturity. If his College game crosses over to his nhl game and he keeps growing, we could be looking at Giroux 2.0

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I haven't been happy about the draft we just had, there is one piece of information I'd like to share with you. We may have pulled off a huge heist. We are trading DeAngelo to Carolina for a prospect named Massimo Rizzo. I've got to see this kid play quite a bit and have been impressed constantly by his maturity. If his College game crosses over to his nhl game and he keeps growing, we could be looking at Giroux 2.0

Did you get a finders fee ?

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally like the signing of Hathaway as that is my type of player.

Do you think he will be blocking the way of one of our young guys? That's why you were happy Hayes was traded.
Not sure where Hathaway fits in but most likely a bottom 6. Hayes was a top 6 for most of the year. I can see him slot in on the 4th line and move up if needed. I think he can PK too. Probably fills the Brendan Lemieux spot. Desnoyers, Brink, Foerster and the like should not develop on a 4th line. So, I think Hayes blocked a young guy where Hathaway does not. Hopefully I am correct. I also wanted Hayes gone because his contract was ridiculous for a bottom 6 guy, which is where he was headed.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where Hathaway fits in but most likely a bottom 6. Hayes was a top 6 for most of the year. I can see him slot in on the 4th line and move up if needed. I think he can PK too. Probably fills the Brendan Lemieux spot. Desnoyers, Brink, Foerster and the like should not develop on a 4th line. So, I think Hayes blocked a young guy where Hathaway does not. Hopefully I am correct. I also wanted Hayes gone because his contract was ridiculous for a bottom 6 guy, which is where he was headed.
According to this he is blocking Allison:

Travis Konecny – Sean Couturier – Cam Atkinson

Joel Farabee – Morgan Frost – Owen Tippett

Scott Laughton – Noah Cates – Tyson Foerster

Nicolas Deslauriers – Ryan Poehling – Garnet Hathaway

Extras: Bobby Brink, Elliot Desnoyers, Wade Allison

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think he adds more to the young guys development than Allison. It's unfortunate that Allison is injury prone, but he doesn't seem to be part of the young guys I was concerned about and the 4th line.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

More on Gauthier’s absence​

As expected, Cutter Gauthier was not at Day 1 of development camp. On Sunday, GM Daniel Briere did not provide much of an explanation for his absence, noting that he wasn’t worried but that they were still trying to figure out exactly why he chose not to attend.

It wasn’t exactly the most specific answer, especially given the importance of Gauthier — the No. 5 pick in 2022 — to the planned rebuild.

On Monday, the Flyers clarified that it’s their belief that Gauthier declined to attend in large part because of his busy playing schedule over the offseason. Gauthier not only played for Team USA at the World Championships, but he’ll also be attending the World Junior Summer Showcase in Plymouth, Mich., in late July and early August. Briere confirmed that he spoke with Gauthier’s representation at the draft in Nashville last week, and that’s when he learned that Gauthier wouldn’t be attending. Briere again reiterated that he’s not especially concerned about the absence.
Hopefully he is staying away so he doesn't get any Flyers stink on him.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're definitely going to have to just trust the scouts and Danny Briere with this one. We traded up into the 2nd round to draft the top-ranked North American goalie by Nhl Central Scouting, Carson Bjarnason. Then, with our very next pick in the 3rd round, we drafted another goalie (and another Russian), Ejor Zavragin.

It definitely sounds a bit of an alarm when your team takes two goalies back to back in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the same draft. I mean, we already have Hart and Ersson, who are both not exactly old (haha).

Perhaps these prospects are the next wave because they are technically 5-6 years younger, but there is only one net to guard in hockey...Lol You can't keep and use all four of these guys in the long-term.

Maybe this spells the end for Carter Hart, idk.
It was fucking stupid. No other way to dice it. The team sucks and you're drafting goalieS that early? How about building the disaster of a team in front of them.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was fucking stupid. No other way to dice it. The team sucks and you're drafting goalieS that early? How about building the disaster of a team in front of them.
I hope we look back and this becomes a terrible post, one of the goalies becomes a stud, and we get a kings ransom for Carter Hart.

I guess the other side of the goalie picks, is Briere admitting this team will continue to be shit for Carter Hart's prime years.