• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023-24 Flyers: What's new is old again.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was a toss up between Couts and Laughton this season.
I wouldn't argue with Laughton. For seniority, Couts has about 200 more games played than Laughton. But I guess Couts hasn't played much recently.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tony D bought out

Brutal trade that brought him in

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is some difference when the player goes on LTIR. Apparently there is a benefit for being cap compliant on opening night and then placing the player on LTIR. Maybe place TDA on waivers and hope he is claimed. Flyers have to eat cap, but they were going to do that anyway. That and moving one of the goalies to the AHL should allow for Frost signing and still being under the cap on opening night.
You called it TDA bought out and waived. I dont see what the hurry was, they should've gotten at least something for him

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tony D bought out

Brutal trade that brought him in
Terrible. We gave up a 2nd, a 3rd and a 4th for one year of DeAngelo and now he's off our roster but still hitting against our cap for 2 more years at $1.667 million per.

Obviously this tells us that not a single team was willing to trade for him straight-up or without us retaining $2 million or more of his salary.

You would think we could've kept him and dished him for a pick at the deadline. Perhaps Briere and company would rather see a youngster in his spot and that's why we couldn't wait. That is my assumption. We're going to get a good look at York, Zamula, Attard and possibly others on the blue line with the big club next season as things stand. Sink or swim time for these youngsters, quite frankly.

Last edited:

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible. We gave up a 2nd, a 3rd and a 4th for one year of DeAngelo and now he's off our roster but still hitting against our cap for 2 more years at $1.667 million per.

Obviously this tells us that not a single team was willing to trade for him straight-up or without us retaining $2 million or more of his salary.

You would think we could've kept him and dished him for a pick at the deadline. Perhaps Briere and company would rather see a youngster in his spot and that's why we couldn't wait. That is my assumption. We're going to get a good look at York, Zamula, Attard and possibly others on the blue line with the big club next season as things stand. Sink or swim time for these youngsters, quite frankly.
That’s right. Why bother with the guy if you’re in total rebuild mode. Games played (for development) are hugely important, or so say all the scout experts on SXM NHL radio.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With TDA waived, plenty of cap to sign Frost.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With TDA waived, plenty of cap to sign Frost.
It's really a shame that we wasted so much signing shit players only to announce we're going to start a rebuild. Also who is our center piece for our rebuild? Who do players like Delaurius(sp) take time from? The other question is, is Torts the coach we want to do a rebuild with such a young squad? All the stupid stuff Fletcher did is going to be haunting us for a few years unless we get lucky and find a diamond in the rough. Have we even figured out who our core is going to be? Seems to me I haven't heard anything on that front.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really a shame that we wasted so much signing shit players only to announce we're going to start a rebuild. Also who is our center piece for our rebuild? Who do players like Delaurius(sp) take time from? The other question is, is Torts the coach we want to do a rebuild with such a young squad? All the stupid stuff Fletcher did is going to be haunting us for a few years unless we get lucky and find a diamond in the rough. Have we even figured out who our core is going to be? Seems to me I haven't heard anything on that front.
Frost, Tippett, Cates, York, Foerster, Desnoyer, Andrae, Gauthier and Michkov and one of the 20 or so goalies we have will be the core.

If Deslaurier is blocking someone certainly there was no need for Briere to sign Hathaway.

Torts did a very good job with the young team we had last season and is the only one who has developed Frost and Tippett. If we lose him as a coach we should move him over to the developmental part of the organization.

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deslaurier is a 4th line banger. Not a great move having a young talented player learning on the 4th line. He and Hathaway are not blocking the development of anyone. Sucks to get nothing for TDA, but someone younger can get some ice time. Defensemen can develop on a 3rd pairing.
Gauthier looks like a good start.

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have the cap space $2,967 million to be exact. Why do you think the deal been signed yet?
Really no idea. He didn't file for arbitration. I don't think they would be working on a Farabee type of extension as I don't think he has shown enough. They can be 10% above the cap which means they could go long term. $3,000,000 per year for 2 years should work.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really no idea. He didn't file for arbitration. I don't think they would be working on a Farabee type of extension as I don't think he has shown enough. They can be 10% above the cap which means they could go long term. $3,000,000 per year for 2 years should work.
It just seems weird to me that they rushed the TDA thing to clear cap money and now they are waiting to sign Frost. If they were going to wait this long they had another week or two to try to get something for TDA.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deslaurier is a 4th line banger. Not a great move having a young talented player learning on the 4th line. He and Hathaway are not blocking the development of anyone. Sucks to get nothing for TDA, but someone younger can get some ice time. Defensemen can develop on a 3rd pairing.
Gauthier looks like a good start.
So by blocking young talent I mean will the younger players get bumped from the roster to accommodate a Delaruis be ause of his stupid contract. Also the fact they signed Hathaway should have been a good reason to buy Delaurius out. Then again I may be high and don't know what I'm talking about.

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just seems weird to me that they rushed the TDA thing to clear cap money and now they are waiting to sign Frost. If they were going to wait this long they had another week or two to try to get something for TDA.
Really not sure what the rush to waive him was. They could have signed Frost and kept him for the short term. Wait until training camp to see if a team has an injury on the blue line and get something for him. I thought it would come to this, but not this quickly.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So by blocking young talent I mean will the younger players get bumped from the roster to accommodate a Delaruis be ause of his stupid contract. Also the fact they signed Hathaway should have been a good reason to buy Delaurius out. Then again I may be high and don't know what I'm talking about.
The only player they are both blocking that is fit to play the 4th line is Wade Allison.

Hathaway makes 750K more than DesLauriers.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really not sure what the rush to waive him was. They could have signed Frost and kept him for the short term. Wait until training camp to see if a team has an injury on the blue line and get something for him. I thought it would come to this, but not this quickly.
By getting rid of TDA via waivers we ate 1.66 million and if we add that to Sean Walkers salary of $2.65 million it will cost us $4.31 to replace a 42 point defenseman with a 13 points defenseman .