• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Rosterbation

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uematsu’s promotion is causing a lot of buzz that the Gs are going to be going hard for Suzuki.
Proud American GIF by Disney Pixar

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 283060
After a couple of moves....adds up quickly.
Why would FZ pay Verlander 20m? He's only thrown 6 innings in 2 years and is getting old (39 at OP). I understand that he may have something left but that seems like an awfully high amount to gamble on something possibly left.

And no to Canha. He's no improvement to the current outfield crop. He's way overrated. His 2019 season seems to be a statistical anomaly compared to the rest of his career. He's not awful but he's not 12m good. I think the Giants could get his production for much less. He's not ideal for a lefty/right platoon either as he actually hits righties better than lefties.

As weird as this sounds, coming from me, I'd rather the Giants take the money they'd spend, on your spreadsheet, on Verlander and Canha, and use it to re-sign Bryant instead. He's younger, stays relatively healthy and is much better than Canha.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would FZ pay Verlander 20m? He's only thrown 6 innings in 2 years and is getting old (39 at OP). I understand that he may have something left but that seems like an awfully high amount to gamble on something possibly left.

And no to Canha. He's no improvement to the current outfield crop. He's way overrated. His 2019 season seems to be a statistical anomaly compared to the rest of his career. He's not awful but he's not 12m good. I think the Giants could get his production for much less. He's not ideal for a lefty/right platoon either as he actually hits righties better than lefties.

As weird as this sounds, coming from me, I'd rather the Giants take the money they'd spend, on your spreadsheet, on Verlander and Canha, and use it to re-sign Bryant instead. He's younger, stays relatively healthy and is much better than Canha.
I'm not necessarily advocating that they sign any of those players. It was just an example to show how fast the payroll adds up.

Re Verlander: Most all projections have him at 1 year on a "make good." One has him at two years. I think the attraction there would be low downside risk. If he doesn't work out he's off the books in 2023.

Re Canha: His projection is 2/24. Again, low downside risk. I suspect FZ isn't going to sign anybody for more than 3 or 4 years, so that makes Canha a possible fit. He fits the high OBP mold FZ likes and isn't super expensive.

Re Bryant: he's projected to get 6/150. I can't see FZ paying that. He's good, and he's versatile. He'll run into 30 bombs and he's a good lockeroom guy. But he's not a superstar, and he's going to get paid like one. I think he's headed elsewhere.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not certain the Giants are on the hook for the Posey buyout. He retired.

I'm not sure either. I put it in as a placeholder.
I've only heard people assuming that the buyout wasn't necessary since he retired. However, I haven't heard anything official.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not necessarily advocating that they sign any of those players. It was just an example to show how fast the payroll adds up.

Re Verlander: Most all projections have him at 1 year on a "make good." One has him at two years. I think the attraction there would be low downside risk. If he doesn't work out he's off the books in 2023.

Re Canha: His projection is 2/24. Again, low downside risk. I suspect FZ isn't going to sign anybody for more than 3 or 4 years, so that makes Canha a possible fit. He fits the high OBP mold FZ likes and isn't super expensive.

Re Bryant: he's projected to get 6/150. I can't see FZ paying that. He's good, and he's versatile. He'll run into 30 bombs and he's a good lockeroom guy. But he's not a superstar, and he's going to get paid like one. I think he's headed elsewhere.
20 million is a make good contract?!?! I understand it is Verlander, but . . . . 20 million!?!?!

With Canha, I think the Giants could stay in house and get similar production (or slightly less, with a much lower payout). It wouldn't be the end of the world, however, if they sign him.

You are probably right on Bryant. I guess you've resigned yourself on him leaving. You were ready to sign him the moment the Giants traded for him.

And why is Pederson NOT on your projection? I'm not advocating for the Giants to sign him but I thought he was one of your favorites.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've only heard people assuming that the buyout wasn't necessary since he retired. However, I haven't heard anything official.
I will be shocked if they don't give Posey the buyout even if they don't have to

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
20 million is a make good contract?!?! I understand it is Verlander, but . . . . 20 million!?!?!

With Canha, I think the Giants could stay in house and get similar production (or slightly less, with a much lower payout). It wouldn't be the end of the world, however, if they sign him.

You are probably right on Bryant. I guess you've resigned yourself on him leaving. You were ready to sign him the moment the Giants traded for him.

And why is Pederson NOT on your projection? I'm not advocating for the Giants to sign him but I thought he was one of your favorites.
Oh, I just put some names that were getting buzz from the inter webs. I'd love them to bring Joc home, but I've read nothing that they're even interested.

KB is gone. I've read a couple of "Giants disappointed with Bryant" stories already and to be honest, he CAN play multiple positions but he doesn't play any of them at an elite level. His best position is 3B and we have Longo.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

By the way, if any team signs Verlander, they are going to forfeit a pick (assuming Verlander doesn't accept the QO from the Astros). For the Giants, they would forfeit their 2nd highest pick by signing him. That, plus 20 million, seems awfully step to gamble that a 39 year old, even though he was the top of his class in pitching for years, will suddenly do well after almost a 2 year layoff.