• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Rosterbation

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The current list of FA catchers, per MLBTR…

Catchers

Tucker Barnhart (31) — $7.5MM club option ($500K buyout)
Robinson Chirinos (37)
Yan Gomes (34)
Sandy Leon (33)
Roberto Perez (33) — $7MM club option ($450K buyout)
Manny Pina (34)
Buster Posey (35) — $22MM club option ($3MM buyout)
Wilson Ramos (34)
Austin Romine (33)
Chance Sisco (27)
Kurt Suzuki (38)
Christian Vazquez (31) — $7MM club option ($250K buyout)
Austin Wynns (31)
Mike Zunino (31) – $4MM club option ($1MM buyout)
As a follow up, Barnhart, Pina, Vazquez and Zunino (as well as Posey, obviously) are off the market.

But you did forget such notable backstops as Aramis Garcia, Bryan Holaday, Rene Rivera, Pedro Severino and Kevan Smith. Also, Matt Wieters never signed last off season and isn't officially retired.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a follow up, Barnhart, Pina, Vazquez and Zunino (as well as Posey, obviously) are off the market.

But you did forget such notable backstops as Aramis Garcia, Bryan Holaday, Rene Rivera, Pedro Severino and Kevan Smith. Also, Matt Wieters never signed last off season and isn't officially retired.
Somebody is cruising for a cutting...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody is cruising for a cutting...

:scratch: No mention of a certain catcher (in that post). Merely pointing out the free agent catchers on the market, and give another reason for the Giants to just go with Bart and Casali. Hey, I would be cool to see Susac back as insurance.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the transactions page on sfgiants.com, I see two names not listed as declaring free agency - Donovan Solano and Dominic Leone. I checked the 40 man roster page and saw both listed as part of the roster. So I went to BBRef - Solano is listed as being eligible for free agency this year but Leone is listed as being eligible starting NEXT offseason. Looks like we've got one more year of Leone. Not sure why Solano is not listed as a free agent on the team page.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today, FZ extended the QO to Belt.
No QO for Disco or Wood.
Picked up options for Alvarez, Flores, and JJ
Declined option on Shimmy.
As we wait to see what Belt's decision is on the QO, we already know that 9 of the 14 players offered QOs have rejected them. Only Belt, Freeman, Iglesias, Ray and Verlander's decisions remain unknown.

Two of those who've rejected QOs have already signed with new teams. The Tigers lose their 3rd highest draft pick in 2022 and the Angels lose their 2nd highest draft pick in 2022.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the transactions page on sfgiants.com, I see two names not listed as declaring free agency - Donovan Solano and Dominic Leone. I checked the 40 man roster page and saw both listed as part of the roster. So I went to BBRef - Solano is listed as being eligible for free agency this year but Leone is listed as being eligible starting NEXT offseason. Looks like we've got one more year of Leone. Not sure why Solano is not listed as a free agent on the team page.

Because Leone is on the active roster, not in the minors, and has less than 6 years major league service , he is not a free agent until either the Giants non-tender him, or they cant agree to a contract, or they don't go to arbitration. He was on a 1 year contract in 2021, and AFAIK hasn't signed a contract.

Fro Solano, according to the mlb.com/giants transactions page, he never filed for free agency. (which the player is required to do to become a free agent)

Last edited:

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because Leone and Solano are on the active roster, not in the minors, and have less than 6 years major league service , he is not a free agent until either the Giants non-tender him, or they cant agree to a contract, or they don't go to arbitration. Both were on 1 year contracts in 2021, and AFAIK haven't signed a contract.
Regarding Solano, Fangraphs, BBRef, ESPN and MLBTR all list him as a free agent. He's got 6 plus years of service time in the big leagues.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is *eligible* to be a free agent, but isn't one until he says he wants to be one.

And all those sites seem to list the *possibility* of a player becoming a free agent, because he can ask to be one. Everyone assumes a player will elect free agency, because I can't think of any downside to doing it, and no benefit to not doing it. Maybe he is out-of-country and his agent f*ked up?

For example, bb-ref lists Leone as "Free Agent: 2023". My guess would be that at the end of every season, that instead of having someone check if the player has actually filed for free agency and change the pages by hand for each player, that they run a script that changes "Free Agent: {next season}" to "Free Agent" for the thousands of players in the DB.

Last edited:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is *eligible* to be a free agent, but isn't one until he says he wants to be one.

And all those sites seem to list the *possibility* of a player becoming a free agent, because he can ask to be one. Everyone assumes a player will elect free agency, because I can't think of any downside to doing it, and no benefit to not doing it. Maybe he is out-of-country and his agent f*ked up?
What happens if the player (in this case Solano) does not file? I would assume the team (in this case, the Giants) would keep his rights. But what, exactly, does that mean? That he can sign, but only with the Giants? What if he wants 10m and the Giants are only offering 2m? Does he just sit collecting dust? Or does he essentially become an A4 or A5 or A[whatever] player?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For example, bb-ref lists Leone as "Free Agent: 2023". My guess would be that at the end of every season, that instead of having someone check if the player has actually filed for free agency and change the pages by hand for each player, that they run a script thaat changes "Free Agent: {this next season}" to "Free Agent" for the thousands of players in the DB.

What happens if the player (in this case Solano) does not file? I would assume the team (in this case, the Giants) would keep his rights. But what, exactly, does that mean? That he can sign, but only with the Giants? What if he wants 10m and the Giants are only offering 2m? Does he just sit collecting dust? Or does he essentially become an A4 or A5 or A[whatever] player?
I'm curious, has there been a case where a player has been eligible to become a free agent and did not (or his agent screwed up)?
I assume, to cal's questions, that the player goes through arbitration again but there is precedent? There has to be rules on how the contract is determined in these kinds of scenarios.
Of course, the Giants could just non-tender him if they don't want him back in 2022 (or if they are really nice and grant his request if he asks to be a free agent and his agent messed up that chance).
Edit: The more I think about it, the more I wonder why other players don't force teams to keep them if they know their market won't be good and, until the team releases them or non-tenders them, they have a roster spot.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I hope the Giants are just pretending interest to drive up his price for other teams.
I just read that Verlander has stated that he prefers signing with a team that holds spring training in Florida. If interest is as high in him as is speculated, it is unlikely that he lands with the Giants.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm quite pleased with this, like the Crawford deal
It really is team friendly. If he balls out again, we might lose him to FA but we get a Captain season. If he's hurt/fades we aren't on the hook after 2022.

Win/win.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really is team friendly. If he balls out again, we might lose him to FA but we get a Captain season. If he's hurt/fades we aren't on the hook after 2022.

Win/win.
Considering his injury history, I do wonder how committed the Giants are to working an extension. It didn't happen last year when Gausman accepted his QO.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With two pitchers' deals being finalized and tomorrow's non tender deadline coming up, I wonder if the Giants are going to non-tender a couple of players (looking at Brebbia and Beede right now) to make room for Cobb and Wood.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a follow-up, the following players can be non-tendered (not will be). The point of the non-tender deadline is for teams to review the players who do not have contracts in 2022 and decide if they want to issue a contract. For those arbitration eligible, those tendered can either sign a contract or have one issued through the arbitration process. For pre-arbitration players, the team can either renew last year's contract or negotiate a new contract. As a reminder, having control rights is not the same as having a contract for future seasons. It only means that the team has exclusive rights to sign a new contract with the player, unless the team decides to non-tender (which releases the rights to the player's controlled years) or designate the player for assignment by outrighting the player off the 40 man roster (exposing him to other clubs for a few days before getting assigned outright to the minor leagues or, if possible, electing free agency).

Pitchers (17) - Caleb Baragar, Tyler Beede, John Brebbia, Kervin Castro, Sam Delaplane, Camilo Doval, Jarlin Garcia, Hunter Harvey, Dominic Leone, Zach Littell, Sam Long, Yunior Marte, Joe Polumbo, Randy Rodriguez, Tyler Rogers, Gregory Santos, Logan Webb
Catchers (1) - Joey Bart,
Infielders (3) - Thairo Estrada, Darin Ruf, Jason Vosler
Outfielders (9) - Jaylin Davis, Austin Dean, Mauricio Dubon, Steven Duggar, Luis Gonzalez, Heliot Ramos, Austin Slater, LaMonte Wade, Mike Yastrzemski

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are approx 30 mins away from the tender deadline. I assume the Giants will announce the Wood and Cobb signings at that time.