• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Rosterbation

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. Probably a better track record than Disco, and certainly more pedigree (though at this point in their careers, pedigree should carry much weight anymore), but Disco clearly had the better 2021.

And with the downfall of the SP in baseball in general, maybe Disco is more valuable than I give him credit…

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. Probably a better track record than Disco, and certainly more pedigree (though at this point in their careers, pedigree should carry much weight anymore), but Disco clearly had the better 2021.

And with the downfall of the SP in baseball in general, maybe Disco is more valuable than I give him credit…
And its all speculation right now. Who knows if the Blue Jays actually offer Matz a QO, and, if they don't, that doesn't mean FZ and Co follow suit. Different orgs may see different values in the same type of pitcher (not counting history before 2021). But the idea that the Blue Jays would consider it makes the idea of a QO to DeSclafani more realistic. It may also mean that DeSclafani won't be as tempted to take it if the market values his type of pitching to that level.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trying to anticipate roster moves ahead of the Rule 5 Draft, here is how I anticipate seeing movement in the month of November.

As of today, this is the 40 man roster:
Pitchers (20) - Alvarez, Baragar, Brebbia, Castro, Cueto, DeSclafani, Doval, Garcia, Gausman, Jackson, Kazmir, Leone, Littell, Long, McGee, Rogers, Santos, Watson, Webb, Wood
Catchers (3) - Bart, Casali, Posey
Infielders (10) - Belt, Bryant, Crawford, Estrada, Flores, LaStella, Longoria, Ruf, Solano, Vosler
Outfielders (7) - Davis, Dickerson, Dubon, Duggar, Slater, Wade, Yastrzemski
Total - 40 players

Pending free agents: Alvarez (option), Chatwood, Cueto (option), DeSclafani, Gausman, Kazmir, Leone, Quintana, Sanchez, Watson, Wood; Posey (option); Belt, Bryant, Flores (option), Solano
Let's pretend the Giants only exercise options on Alvarez and Posey. Chatwod, Quintana and Sanchez are not on the 40 man roster so they won't be subtracted.
Total roster - 29

Players on 60 day IL (or COVID IL) who need to be activated - Beede, Chatwood, Delaplane, Nunez; Gonzalez
Chatwood won't be added since he's going to be a free agent
Total roster - 33

Likely players to get designated for assignment - Beede, Jackson, Vosler, Dubon
For the sake of this exercise, I expect half of these guys to be dfa'd
Total roster - 31

Looking at the Rule 5 Draft thread, most likely players to be added to the 40 man roster - Berroa, Corry, Frisbee, Hjelle; Genoves; Villar; Ramos, Rincones
Total roster - 39

Players who will probably be non-tendered in early December - Beede, Brebbia; Dickerson
This assumes Beede isn't one of the 2 likely dfa's
Total roster - 36

This gives the Giants 4 roster spots to pick up new/returning free agents. I assume that they'll sign a couple more than that between the 1st of November and spring training 2022, so there will need to be a couple more guys cleared from the roster or a couple less players get protected from the Rule 5 Draft.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
November 10th is the deadline for players to accept or reject a qualifying offer, if the team offers one. Its possible that all of Belt, DeSclafani and Wood get offered and accept. That, obviously, will impact how many players the Giants dfa and/or how many contracts they purchase. The deadline for contracts to be purchased for Rule 5 Draft protection is November 19th. The non-tender deadline is December 1st and the Rule 5 Draft is December 9th. I don't remember when the current CBA is set to expire but I think all of these deadlines will be met.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trying to anticipate roster moves ahead of the Rule 5 Draft, here is how I anticipate seeing movement in the month of November.

As of today, this is the 40 man roster:
Pitchers (20) - Alvarez, Baragar, Brebbia, Castro, Cueto, DeSclafani, Doval, Garcia, Gausman, Jackson, Kazmir, Leone, Littell, Long, McGee, Rogers, Santos, Watson, Webb, Wood
Catchers (3) - Bart, Casali, Posey
Infielders (10) - Belt, Bryant, Crawford, Estrada, Flores, LaStella, Longoria, Ruf, Solano, Vosler
Outfielders (7) - Davis, Dickerson, Dubon, Duggar, Slater, Wade, Yastrzemski
Total - 40 players

Pending free agents: Alvarez (option), Chatwood, Cueto (option), DeSclafani, Gausman, Kazmir, Leone, Quintana, Sanchez, Watson, Wood; Posey (option); Belt, Bryant, Flores (option), Solano
Let's pretend the Giants only exercise options on Alvarez and Posey. Chatwod, Quintana and Sanchez are not on the 40 man roster so they won't be subtracted.
Total roster - 29

Players on 60 day IL (or COVID IL) who need to be activated - Beede, Chatwood, Delaplane, Nunez; Gonzalez
Chatwood won't be added since he's going to be a free agent
Total roster - 33

Likely players to get designated for assignment - Beede, Jackson, Vosler, Dubon
For the sake of this exercise, I expect half of these guys to be dfa'd
Total roster - 31

Looking at the Rule 5 Draft thread, most likely players to be added to the 40 man roster - Berroa, Corry, Frisbee, Hjelle; Genoves; Villar; Ramos, Rincones
Total roster - 39

Players who will probably be non-tendered in early December - Beede, Brebbia; Dickerson
This assumes Beede isn't one of the 2 likely dfa's
Total roster - 36

This gives the Giants 4 roster spots to pick up new/returning free agents. I assume that they'll sign a couple more than that between the 1st of November and spring training 2022, so there will need to be a couple more guys cleared from the roster or a couple less players get protected from the Rule 5 Draft.

Wood; Posey (option); Belt, Bryant, Flores (option), Solano, Quintana, Disco

Those names stand out as folks I'd like to keep.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
November 10th is the deadline for players to accept or reject a qualifying offer, if the team offers one. Its possible that all of Belt, DeSclafani and Wood get offered and accept. That, obviously, will impact how many players the Giants dfa and/or how many contracts they purchase. The deadline for contracts to be purchased for Rule 5 Draft protection is November 19th. The non-tender deadline is December 1st and the Rule 5 Draft is December 9th. I don't remember when the current CBA is set to expire but I think all of these deadlines will be met.
Been thinking about this a bit:

1. Belt is a no-brainer but I think he'll sign an extension which will supersede the QO
2. Disco I think is pretty likely, and I think it will chill the market for him and he'll accept.
3. Wood is the quandary. Not sure he'll get a QO, but if he does I think he ends up taking it.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wood; Posey (option); Belt, Bryant, Flores (option), Solano, Quintana, Disco

Those names stand out as folks I'd like to keep.
I don't think we'll keep KB for two reasons:

1. Boras will drag the signing into Jan/Feb and FZ will want his roster more or less set by then.
2. He's going to get superstar money (and good for him) but I think we can approach his production for a lot less.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we'll keep KB for two reasons:

1. Boras will drag the signing into Jan/Feb and FZ will want his roster more or less set by then.
2. He's going to get superstar money (and good for him) but I think we can approach his production for a lot less.
Both valid points.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some more dates to keep in mind as we enter the offseason:
November 3-7 - Timeframe teams and players have to make decisions on options. We could know as soon as tomorrow the status of Posey, Cueto, Flores and Alvarez.
November 7, 1 pm - That is the deadline to make QOs to players. So we'll know by the 7th whose option has been picked up and who have been given QOs.
November 8 - All free agents are officially on the market and available to sign.
November 17 - QO offer decision deadline
November 19 - Deadline to purchase contracts of minor leaguers for Rule 5 Draft protection
December 2 -Last day for teams to non-tender contracts. This is one of the weirder parts of offseason baseball, to me. Teams decide to they want to give out contracts to any player not already signed to a multi-year deal, essentially, but its officially listed as "the deadline for teams to tender contracts to arbitration-eligible players." However, players not yet eligible for arbitration can be non-tendered. Those who are tendered don't sign a contract, though, until either an arbitration hearing is concluded in February or the team and player works out a contract deal by February.
December 8 - Rule 5 Draft (one of my favorite offseason dates as a baseball nerd)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some more dates to keep in mind as we enter the offseason:
November 3-7 - Timeframe teams and players have to make decisions on options. We could know as soon as tomorrow the status of Posey, Cueto, Flores and Alvarez.
November 7, 1 pm - That is the deadline to make QOs to players. So we'll know by the 7th whose option has been picked up and who have been given QOs.
November 8 - All free agents are officially on the market and available to sign.
November 17 - QO offer decision deadline
November 19 - Deadline to purchase contracts of minor leaguers for Rule 5 Draft protection
December 2 -Last day for teams to non-tender contracts. This is one of the weirder parts of offseason baseball, to me. Teams decide to they want to give out contracts to any player not already signed to a multi-year deal, essentially, but its officially listed as "the deadline for teams to tender contracts to arbitration-eligible players." However, players not yet eligible for arbitration can be non-tendered. Those who are tendered don't sign a contract, though, until either an arbitration hearing is concluded in February or the team and player works out a contract deal by February.
December 8 - Rule 5 Draft (one of my favorite offseason dates as a baseball nerd)
I'd think they'll pick up Buster, Flores, and Alvarez any day now. Although a multi year deal could be had for any of them.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s a “strong” chance that the Giants will push to work out a multi-year deal to keep Kevin Gausman atop their rotation, per Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle. The Giants value the chemistry that was developed during this year’s postseason push and have interest in maintaining some continuity, which could lead them to explore reunions with any of Gausman, Anthony DeSclafani and Alex Wood.

I'd be pretty surprised if these things DON'T happen:

1. Gausman gets a multiyear deal from FZ
2. Disco gets a QO/deal
3. We trade prospects for a SP under control (fills a rotation spot, eases the Rule V choices).

Rotation should be: Webb/Gaus/Disco/Trade/Hjelle?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do the Giants hand the reins to Bart or look outside the org?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The current list of FA catchers, per MLBTR…

Catchers

Tucker Barnhart (31) — $7.5MM club option ($500K buyout)
Robinson Chirinos (37)
Yan Gomes (34)
Sandy Leon (33)
Roberto Perez (33) — $7MM club option ($450K buyout)
Manny Pina (34)
Buster Posey (35) — $22MM club option ($3MM buyout)
Wilson Ramos (34)
Austin Romine (33)
Chance Sisco (27)
Kurt Suzuki (38)
Christian Vazquez (31) — $7MM club option ($250K buyout)
Austin Wynns (31)
Mike Zunino (31) – $4MM club option ($1MM buyout)

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Catchers

Robinson Chirinos (37)
Yan Gomes (34)
Sandy Leon (33)
Manny Pina (34)
Wilson Ramos (34)
Austin Romine (33)
Chance Sisco (27)
Kurt Suzuki (38)
Austin Wynns (31)
Barnhart was traded to the Tigers today and its reported that they exercise his option. I would assume that Vazquez and Zunino are both kept by their teams.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Catchers

Robinson Chirinos (37)
Yan Gomes (34)
Sandy Leon (33)
Manny Pina (34)
Wilson Ramos (34)
Austin Romine (33)
Chance Sisco (27)
Kurt Suzuki (38)
Austin Wynns (31)
Hard pass. Let the Joey Bart Era begin.