• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Offseason... FA, Draft, Staff, Camps, Etc

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess he isn't that bad?

Well...........

Mixed bag from what I’m seeing. Hard to say. Sounds like he played better at Guard last year but than he ever did at Center? Stats indicate otherwise but sounds like there’s more to it.

But if Cole moves to guard does that mean he r have to suffer with Green at center again?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mixed bag from what I’m seeing. Hard to say. Sounds like he played better at Guard last year but than he ever did at Center? Stats indicate otherwise but sounds like there’s more to it.

But if Cole moves to guard does that mean he r have to suffer with Green at center again?
Yeah I don’t understand, I am hoping they saw something in him to be the Center. Green there yet again will be tough to watch.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I don’t understand, I am hoping they saw something in him to be the Center. Green there yet again will be tough to watch.
If Pickett is gone then I’m all aboard the Linderbaum train to be honest… Maybe this guy just serves as a good RG prospect to shore up Turner’s spot?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Pickett is gone then I’m all aboard the Linderbaum train to be honest… Maybe this guy just serves as a good RG prospect to shore up Turner’s spot?
If Linderbaum is still there then that might be a useful young interior line.

TheBurgh88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I love the Witherspoon and Trubisky signings as long as their contracts were modest. Okorafor is such a headscratcher. I don't know much about Cole. I guess we shall see when the final numbers come in but they gotta be about broke with those 4 signings.

Concerning when they still need help at LB, S and CB.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This makes a little more sense but still not sure how this will cause issues with the cap in the 2023 season?

Last edited:

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point, after the moves they have made, I'd consider Jordan Davis my favorite for the draft.
After him, Jameson Williams WR, Alabama.

Then Zion Johnson / Kenyon Greene as safe picks.

The CB's Stingley, Gardner or McDuffie have to be in the mix, but I'm more bearish on them taking one of them early.

Surprise trade up if he moves into the teens: Kyle Hamilton.

I do not see them using a 1st on an ILB. That's a 2nd or later move.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know much about the guy either but it seems to come across as a good signing?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know much about the guy either but it seems to come across as a good signing?
Wow that's big. That would be our starting RG day 1 and he's only 24 years young... That's a huge move for the future of this OL if he pans out. Very talented player

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My offseason wish-list:

1. Revamp the OL.
Hoping to see them be aggressive in FA. OT Armstead, OT Brown, OG Scherff, etc. Moore Jr & Dotson are the only pieces worth anything right now. If Pickett isn't available then I expect they draft Linderbaum. Need to shore up the depth. Chuks & Hass are FAs, and I think would be good backups to keep around.

2. Bridge the QB position.
I'm all for drafting Pickett if he's available, but I doubt he will be. The QB position isn't as strong as previous years so they will be in higher demand. There will be some decent vet FA pieces out there worth a look (Minshew, Trubisky, Winston, Mariota). The only other option is trading for a big fish and that is too rare to believe will happen. Bring in someone that can start, but also push Mason & Haskins. I would love it if they kept Dobbs around, but he seems best suited as a coach. Could be a brilliant hire if they made him QB coach, and groomed him for a shot at OC down the road.

3. Extend Minkah Fitzpatrick.

4. Shore up the secondary.

This secondary is in flux. Haden & Edmunds set to hit the market. Sutton has proved to not be a reliable outside piece, but he's a capable starter. Resigning Witherspoon & Maulet is an easy way to achieve stability. Witherspoon showed up big down the stretch in 2021 and was a blessing. They need to prioritize retaining that guy. Maulet is a versatile piece but I wouldn't overpay anything more than a vet min type deal. Safety market is always slow every year so there's a chance Edmunds doesn't receive very many offers. I'd bring him back for the right price.

5. Fire Matt Canada.
I know plenty of people are wanting to give this guy a 2nd chance given everything he was up against. I get it, and I'm not entirely opposed. But it became extremely obvious just how bad his playcalling was this year. He did very little to acquit himself this year, nor give us any sort of promise when thinking about what he could do next year with different personnel. I want them to hire someone from outside of the organization.

6. Hire a new DC.
Keith Butler's contract is set to expire this offseason. Do they extend him? Probably. Because in reality this is nothing more than a pawn coach that lets Tomlin call most, if not all the shots. But I'm tired of seeing this defense get slaughtered in the biggest games. I'm not satisfied with leading the league in sacks every year. It's cool and buy in large it gets the job done against lesser competition, but I'll never feel confident in them on the biggest stages. The only way they make the necessary changes is if Tomlin decides to let go of his grip on the defense & hand it over to someone else. Don't see that happening.

7. Resign Juju.
Dude showed some serious dedication getting back onto the field for the playoffs. 6-month timetable that he turned into 3 months. He loves this city. Not many teams were interested in him last offseason, so maybe he could be signed cheap.

8. KEEP TABS ON DENVER.
If the new head coaching hire decides to part ways with Mike Muchak then the Steelers better be the first line ringing on Munch's phone. Buy the man his own private jet if he doesn't want to leave his family.
1. Revamp the OLine - TBD
Still feels like they're 1-2 pieces away from this being more concrete. Paying Chuks that much was a head scratcher, but @thedddd posted the contract breakdown which makes it a prove it type deal. Glad to hear that, but still didn't view Chuks as anything more than a capable backup. Viewing him as the RT is hard to stomach, but it looks like the team has made that decision. I'm very excited about the James Daniels signing. He's very young & talented, versatile, with lots of room to grow. He's a "building for the future" type of piece. Mason Cole is intriguing and should be able to push Kendrick Green for C or Dotson for G competition. At any rate the depth appears to be shored up at the moment. Not sure why they are holding onto Banner though at his pricetag.

2. Bridge the QB position.. CHECK! (Titty Trubisky)
I had him top 5 in my bridge list this offseason. I think we all would have preferred Winston, but this is still a good upside signing. Mitch has been heavily criticized for his play and rightfully so. The organization he played in was crap and the system they built around him was also crap, but those aren't exactly promising excuses to give us a lot of optimism. He has a ceiling, but we don't really know what that is just yet. And honestly this doesn't dissolve Mason Rudolph from the picture.

3. Extend Minkah Fitzpatrick - TBD
Don't recall if I have seen any confirmation that negotiations have started... But we know Minkah is looking to reset the safety market, and rightfully so, which puts him north of $17m per year. The Steelers may be keeping an eye on the market though as those numbers could fall. The situation in Seattle has big implications on that number. If SEA opts out of Jamal Adams' contract then that number could fall down to $14-15m. The safety market is notoriously stagnant this time of year. Not a lot of big contracts get shelled out to this position. I suspect the Steelers are gambling on this market to fall.

4. Shore up the secondary... TBD
Haven't seen the confirmation yet, but supposedly they have inked Witherspoon... That's big. And even though Maulet wasn't the savior piece to losing Hilton, he was still productive. His position versatility is very nice to have with this secondary being in flux. And as I stated in the prior paragraph & the OP, the situation with Edmunds could go into the summer before a decision is made. But SS is the only position needing that move right now. Maybe Norwood becomes that guy, but for now he looks more like FS depth & a dime package role player. Not sure he can be that thumper they need at SS.

5. Fire Matt Canada... FAIL
Like I said... Wasn't entirely opposed given the cards he was dealt. But I'm not very optimistic.

6. Hire a new DC... meh-CHECK! (Terryl Austin)
Another in-house hire with questionable career history. I will say that since his arrival here the secondary was much improved. But I attribute that to Minkah's presence more than anything.

7. Resign Juju... TBD

8. Munchak... FAIL

How in the actual F*ck is this man still unemployed?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of us were interested in him last offseason... And everyone slept on him being a FA again this season... But he's locked up once again, for CHEAP

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The G's look nasty... But we need that anchor at C to perform for that to mesh cohesively. Glad they have options now.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So... um.... I guess they are back to panning the collegiate ranks to groom for in-house hires? Not sure what to make of this. Dude has very little credibility on paper.

Williams has not previously worked in the NFL nor at college football’s highest level. He spent last season as the offensive line coach at North Carolina Central and the previous three on the staff at Morgan State. He also worked two seasons at Northern Colorado.