• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Offseason... FA, Draft, Staff, Camps, Etc

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

After a 5-12 season in 2021, changes are needed. Not only will the Panthers roster look a lot different but the coaching staff will as well. On Tuesday morning, the Panthers fired offensive line coach Pat Meyer, defensive line coach Frank Okam, and special teams coordinator, per Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network.​
Meyer's firing seemed inevitable after Carolina had one of the worst, if not the worst, offensive line in the entire league this season. Sure, they had 13 different starting combinations up front but aside from Taylor Moton and a late glimpse of Brady Christensen, the entire unit regressed as the year went along rather than improved.​

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh happy day!

Celebrate Thank God GIF by Kesha

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is anyone else getting the feeling that no coaches want to work with Tomlin?

Maybe because he doesn’t relinquish the control for the jobs they are hiring these people for?

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Steelers having one of the cheapest and smallest coaching staffs factors in, too.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My preference still is to look for a Tommy Maddox (or better) type in FA, and pick up a guy in the mid-rounds as a flyer. Like Cole Kelley or Will Levis.

I'm just not convinced spending a 1st or 2nd in this draft hoping for them to be the Franchise guy is a wise investment.

But no, it shouldn't be Mason.

Mariota, Trubisky, Bridgewater, Winston...

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems QB du jour is Winston. If healthy he should be a good fit since a trade isn’t necessary.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd be that 'bridge' quarterback until a guy is drafted and shows he's surpassed Jameis. I'd be in on doing it. The Saints certainly can't offer a competitive contract right now, and he would see the writing on the wall that NO is going to be a wasteland for a few years.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd be that 'bridge' quarterback until a guy is drafted and shows he's surpassed Jameis. I'd be in on doing it. The Saints certainly can't offer a competitive contract right now, and he would see the writing on the wall that NO is going to be a wasteland for a few years.
Yep. Really doesn't make sense to waste a large contract or early draft picks on this offseason. There are plenty of options to bridge until the next guy.

Heck even Trai gets it.

TheBurgh88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Heck yeah sign me up for that. If they can get Winston for around 5 million that would be a good acquisition. Doesn't cost anything more than cash. Keep it short term no more than 1 year but 2 if they have to. I would go that route on similar guys (Trubisky, Mariotta, Bridgewater, etc...). They can't afford to give up draft capital this year and I am not a fan of any QB's in the draft. Worst thing they can do is trade up for a reach. Trade down and acquire more picks if possible. What's the point as nothing they do is going to allow them to compete with Cincinnati at least until they have to pay Burrow top $$$$.

They have to many holes to fill. Off the top of my head they need the following:

WR - (only have Johnson and Claypool)
OL - 2 at least
DL - possibly 2 if Tuitt is indeed done
ILB - last chance for Bush and Spillane is a depth piece
OLB (like Highsmith but fear he is just another rotational piece need a solid 3rd behind him and Watt)
S - please let Edmunds go
CB - 2 if the lose Witherspoon and Haden is as good as gone

Clear as much cap space as possible the next 2 years, pay Fitz, sign cheap FA's to rebuild depth.

#1 priority should be to rebuild the OL/DL and build around Harris. A solid running game will keep the defense off the field and take pressure off the QB.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bud Dupree beat up a Walgreens clerk, and has assault charges.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not in the doom and gloom that this is Cincy's division to win now.
They've thought they were the ascendant franchise a few times over the last few decades, and came crashing back to earth pretty quick.

This division still runs through Pitt, even without Ben.

Steelers have a TON of cap room to fill the holes in the roster.

TheBurgh88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not in the doom and gloom that this is Cincy's division to win now.
They've thought they were the ascendant franchise a few times over the last few decades, and came crashing back to earth pretty quick.

This division still runs through Pitt, even without Ben.

Steelers have a TON of cap room to fill the holes in the roster.

I hope you are right but the Bengals have their key offensive weapons locked up (Burrow, Mixon, Chase, and Boyd) plus they have over 50 million in available cap space much more than the Steelers do.

If I were an OL where would I want to play. They do have a few guys to pay (Bates/Hill) but I expect them to invest heavily on their OL. Plus they can free up quite a bit more cap room if needed. They look to be rather formidible for at least the next few seasons until they have to start paying their stars.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you are right but the Bengals have their key offensive weapons locked up (Burrow, Mixon, Chase, and Boyd) plus they have over 50 million in available cap space much more than the Steelers do.

If I were an OL where would I want to play. They do have a few guys to pay (Bates/Hill) but I expect them to invest heavily on their OL. Plus they can free up quite a bit more cap room if needed. They look to be rather formidible for at least the next few seasons until they have to start paying their stars.
The Bengals are a cheap team that regularly declines to spend large amounts of cap space.

Just don't be surprised if they come back to earth. I won't.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomlin & Flores together in the same building… Thts gotta be very exciting for the players & any free agents & rookies…

Would rather see Flores as DC. But maybe keeping him at a lower profile spot while he works through the lawsuit isn’t a bad idea

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this might make Pittsburgh a more attractive destination with FAs too.

This kind of stuff matters to players. Not just the race thing either, but refusing to throw games.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow the Steelers hiring a real coach under Tomlin.