• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 NE Patriots Training Camp

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do I fear that the secondary, specifically the CB's, is going to be a serious weak point?

I'm interested to see if Belichick adjusts his defensive scheme this year. Usually in the past there was a true #1 CB and Belichick would have that player shadow the #2 WR then double the #1. Obviously has worked great for a lot of years, but what happens when there is no true #1 shut down CB?

Now obviously one could emerge as that seems to happen more times than I ever like to admit for the Patriots so maybe in the end nothing will need to change.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but what happens when there is no true #1 shut down CB?
Schemes to confuse QB's I would assume.
More speed also pressures the QB to throw sooner which, at theoretically, leads to incompletions or interceptions.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm interested to see if Belichick adjusts his defensive scheme this year. Usually in the past there was a true #1 CB and Belichick would have that player shadow the #2 WR then double the #1. Obviously has worked great for a lot of years, but what happens when there is no true #1 shut down CB?

Now obviously one could emerge as that seems to happen more times than I ever like to admit for the Patriots so maybe in the end nothing will need to change.
Scheme changes every year. We have a very interesting secondary. A lot of gifted athletes. I'm sure they will be plugged into the right places.
Note: It will be different for every opponent!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scheme changes every year. We have a very interesting secondary. A lot of gifted athletes. I'm sure they will be plugged into the right places.
Note: It will be different for every opponent!

Oh I have no doubt Belichick will make it work. No one does more with less when it comes to secondary than Belichick. It is why you see a lot of these guys go elsewhere and struggle outside what Belichick asks them to do.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe player matchup.. Whoever matches best against #2 plays #2, or if some guy matches really well against their #1, then go that way.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some very interesting observations:

Mac frustrated with WRs.

Two days in a row the WRs have been dropping simple passes. At other times, there has been no effort to get to a pass. Patricia and Judge have attempted to talk with them, but it doesn't appear to be sinking in.

Simplified Offense is basically Shanahan's Offense
Greg Bedard says that BB tried to move the Patriots to Shanahan's system about five years ago. Josh wouldn't go along because Brady was literally supreme with the complex system Josh had in place. Scarneccia agreed with Josh because it forced the OL to think more about their technique rather than just being a wall. Problem is that Mac Jones spent his off season studying and practicing the new offense and pretty much has it under control. His WRs do not.

WRs are dragging Mac Jones down
Coaches having to dumb down some of the passing routines because the WRs don't seem to be getting to spots or are running routes incorrectly. As a result, Mac can't do anything with these guys that will utilize his arm and his accuracy. The Patriots defense is way ahead of the offense and have literally stuffed the running attack on every play. With the WRs being so bad, Mac has to release the passes to the spots where the routes are supposed to be and many of the passes are hitting grass.

BB angry with everyone yesterday
Film of the Tuesday practice shows Bill walking fast, pointing and hollering at coaches and players almost all day. J. Callahan Jr. says that he's never seen Bill so tormented in the twelve years he's covered the Patriots. He told Mike Felger and Mike Holley that he wouldn't be surprised if Bill starts kicking guys off the field and/or make some early cuts to get the team's attention.

Entire team may be watching Jags/Raiders Thursday
There's a rumor that Bill will have the entire team in the Ampitheater to watch the HOF Game Thursday night. The Patriots will be going to Las Vegas to practice and play the Raiders in three weeks. He's doing it for two reasons. The first is to build some team connectivity and the second is to give a warning that there will be mandatory cuts before they go and that everyone best get on the wagon and see who and what they will be up against.

Side note: Temps in New England will be almost pleasurable today in the mid eighties. Thursday could be a record setter wit the expected temps to actually break 100 degrees. Thursday could be a brutal day if things don't get better.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The New England Patriots offense spent Wednesday rebuilding its confidence.

The Patriots looked significantly more on-point on Wednesday during an unpadded session. Without pads, they could not use contact, which gave the offense a distinct advantage after two rough days for them during padded, contact sessions. Take away the pass-rush, take away the problem — apparently.

Quarterback Mac Jones hit 13 consecutive passes over the course of 7-on-7s and 11-on-11s. He then threw an interception to cornerback Terrance Mitchell after a miscommunication with receiver DeVante Parker. And while Jones has been fiery and frustrated at times during camp, he appeared to laugh off the mixup with a silly oh-no face-palm. He gave parker a high five after the play. The session wasn’t quite as tense as in past days.

Here are our other notes and takeaways from Wednesday’s practice.

Top takeaway: Slow down, fix mistakes​

USATSI_18780146.jpg

Eric Canha-USA TODAY Sports
Bill Belichick told reporters before practice that he intended to correct the mistakes the Patriots had been making over the last two days.
What, exactly, will that encompass?
“Everything,” Belichick said on Wednesday morning.
The offense has been the most obvious place that needs improvement. In 11-on-11 drills during the two padded sessions, Jones and company were largely unable to move the football both rushing and passing. As mentioned, the offense was much crisper without a live pash-rush. So that might help point to the problem area: the offensive line.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not forget that our faster, new-look defense is a bunch of freakin animals!

This is a bad-ass defense. The secondary is the "weak spot" but they are playing very well!

I can't wait to see Tua's face when Barmore comes for his blindside week 1

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The New England Patriots offense spent Wednesday rebuilding its confidence.

The Patriots looked significantly more on-point on Wednesday during an unpadded session. Without pads, they could not use contact, which gave the offense a distinct advantage after two rough days for them during padded, contact sessions. Take away the pass-rush, take away the problem — apparently.

Quarterback Mac Jones hit 13 consecutive passes over the course of 7-on-7s and 11-on-11s. He then threw an interception to cornerback Terrance Mitchell after a miscommunication with receiver DeVante Parker. And while Jones has been fiery and frustrated at times during camp, he appeared to laugh off the mixup with a silly oh-no face-palm. He gave parker a high five after the play. The session wasn’t quite as tense as in past days.

Here are our other notes and takeaways from Wednesday’s practice.

Top takeaway: Slow down, fix mistakes​

USATSI_18780146.jpg

Eric Canha-USA TODAY Sports
Bill Belichick told reporters before practice that he intended to correct the mistakes the Patriots had been making over the last two days.
What, exactly, will that encompass?
“Everything,” Belichick said on Wednesday morning.
The offense has been the most obvious place that needs improvement. In 11-on-11 drills during the two padded sessions, Jones and company were largely unable to move the football both rushing and passing. As mentioned, the offense was much crisper without a live pash-rush. So that might help point to the problem area: the offensive line.
Great maybe we can ask the league to ensure the opposing team not wear pads during the regular season?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great maybe we can ask the league to ensure the opposing team not wear pads during the regular season?
Take a breath, Reb. You gotta start the day with a smile and not be angry. I saw this as Bill using his head to get the offense in some kind of rythm rather than pushing them another day in pads and ripping everyone new assholes for the second day in a row. Sounds like he'll use it as a means to kick some asses when they put the pads back on next week for the start of two-a-days.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take a breath, Reb. You gotta start the day with a smile and not be angry. I saw this as Bill using his head to get the offense in some kind of rythm rather than pushing them another day in pads and ripping everyone new assholes for the second day in a row. Sounds like he'll use it as a means to kick some asses when they put the pads back on next week for the start of two-a-days.
It was sarcasm often missed in text.

The way I see it anything any of us post at this point is just a bit of football noise to tickle our senses. We will either be good or we will not, I just don't want to be swept by any divisional opponent, and I feel Buff could do just that.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was sarcasm often missed in text.

The way I see it anything any of us post at this point is just a bit of football noise to tickle our senses. We will either be good or we will not, I just don't want to be swept by any divisional opponent, and I feel Buff could do just that.
Might as well be sarcastic at this point.
Maybe the offense will get their heads screwed on straight by the 1st preseason game. Too many mistakes on offense!
Try and keep tabs on our defense - they are partly responsible for our offensive struggles.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we can take the Buffalo approach and run 57 times per game