• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 NE Patriots Training Camp

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leach fields are great to grow above ground veggies like peas, beans and the really tough ones like Brussel Sprouts. You don't want to plant anything like carrots, onions, potatoes or heavy water grabbers like cukes or lettuce..
So things that grown above ground and not in it?

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the remodel the wife and I are going to have a carpenter make us some raised beds, we are going to give this a try. The yard is pretty good size but on the north end I have a large shed, and old shed which will become a smoker / grilling station with cover, basically a pole barn with vented roof, then we plan to add a 12x15 screen house. This leaves the South end where my drain field is, not sure that is a good place to put a garden so raised beds made sense to us
Concrete board for the raised beds.
Or at least corrugated roofing. It will last much longer.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I didn't explain myself very well. There's so much water in a leach field, that you don't want that water to permeate anything planted. Veggies that are harvested below ground will have absorbed alot of the ground water and that water in a leach field is not purified. Veggies above ground that produce a lot of water also get much of the water from the ground so Corn, cukes and tomatoes might have some nasty water inside the main element. Peas and beans water is filtered through the pods and is pretty clean as is the Brussel sprout because of the dense stalk. Since most of us eat the stalk of broccoli, might not want to plant that in the area. I'm not sure about cabbage or cauliflower.

I'm not a biologist or aborist so I'm no expert. I always grew incredible wildflowers on my leach fields. Spectacular colors.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the remodel the wife and I are going to have a carpenter make us some raised beds, we are going to give this a try. The yard is pretty good size but on the north end I have a large shed, and old shed which will become a smoker / grilling station with cover, basically a pole barn with vented roof, then we plan to add a 12x15 screen house. This leaves the South end where my drain field is, not sure that is a good place to put a garden so raised beds made sense to us
If you use pressure treated wood for the planters, be sure and line them......
Cattle tanks make great raised beds. They are galvanized. You'll have to poke holes in them for drainage.....
1661789806415.png

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing with fire growing veggies in a leachfield......
That's why I only grew flowers, not food. Only thing other than flowers are hot peppers in individual plant pots.

I ate enough shit in the military, never wanted to feed it to myself

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leach fields are great to grow above ground veggies like peas, beans and the really tough ones like Brussel Sprouts. You don't want to plant anything like carrots, onions, potatoes or heavy water grabbers like cukes or lettuce..

I guess I didn't explain myself very well. There's so much water in a leach field, that you don't want that water to permeate anything planted. Veggies that are harvested below ground will have absorbed alot of the ground water and that water in a leach field is not purified. Veggies above ground that produce a lot of water also get much of the water from the ground so Corn, cukes and tomatoes might have some nasty water inside the main element. Peas and beans water is filtered through the pods and is pretty clean as is the Brussel sprout because of the dense stalk. Since most of us eat the stalk of broccoli, might not want to plant that in the area. I'm not sure about cabbage or cauliflower.

I'm not a biologist or aborist so I'm no expert. I always grew incredible wildflowers on my leach fields. Spectacular colors.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was born and raised in Maine and lived there until I was 35 years old.

This is a great Masters degree dissertation.

First. About 95% of Maine's septic systems have been in place since Christ was a cowboy. Most of those have been redirected at least twice. About 25% have no septic tank the waste is flushed into a huge stone encased hole with lead pipes leading out of the top of the hole in four or fice directions. More up to date systems put in during the forties and fifties have a tank made from cast iron plates that have the ends welded and a four inch metal pipe that leads to the leach field about fifty feet from the tank to an area that was turned over by a tractor. When those failed, many were dug up and crushed stone about three feet thick was put in a 100'x100' area that is still in use today.

And people have gardens on top of those fields because the waste water is heavier and sinks through the stone and is filtered by the time it reaches soil underneath.

I've owned three homes with septic systems. I a neurotic. I had the tanks pumped and cleaned every Labor Day week and the leach field treated with 50% hydrogen peroxide to clear any sludge from the rocks. The first one was in West Boylston, MA and was owned by a Doctor and Vet when it was put in. It had never been touched when I bought the house. It took three days to clean it and the ground bubbled white for two days with the peroxide treatment. What was more interesting was digging up the spots where the outhouses had been out back. Antique doctor and dentist tools as well as bones and clothing. I learned that educated people dug the outhouse holes four feet to the side and four feet back from the previous hole and always marked the original with smooth round stones so that no one would re-dig up the family secrets.

Septic systems and outhouses are incredible sources of history and the evil that took place.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3