• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 NBA Offseason thread

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The advantage the Lakers do have, aside from their preexisting relationship with Monk, is his Non-Bird Rights. Should Monk re-sign with the Lakers this offseason at any figure, he would be eligible for Early Bird Rights if he became a free agent next offseason or Full Bird Rights if he became a free agent in 2024. With Early Bird Rights, the Lakers could pay Monk up to 105 percent of the non-taxpayer mid-level exception in 2023, and if he waits until 2024 to sign a long-term deal, the Lakers would be able to sign him for anything up to the max. In other words, the Lakers can't pay Monk what he is worth right now, but if he is patient, they will be able to do so down the line."
How about posting his entire quote from the exit interview which was AFTER the article you quoted?

“I love being here, man. I love playing in this atmosphere and of course would love to come back and not do this again.”

“It’s really me being comfortable,” Monk said. “Feeling like (I am) at home, whether that’s here or somewhere else. With a little money or more money, it’s just really me feeling at home at the end of the day.

“I mean, the money matters, but I know what I can do on the court and I can go out there and earn that,” Monk continued. “I think I proved that, so it’s just me feeling at home and wanted.”

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, I'm a LeBron stan all the way. Got him as 1a to MJ's 1b as co-GOATs. But if you want to think he's just as good now as years ago, I won't try to stop you.
Not one player is as good as they are in their prime, even if Lebron's 37 looks like most players 27 or 28.

If Lebron was in the playoffs this year though everyone would probably be talking about how he is a top 3 player though even if he was a first round knockout. Imagine Lebron on the W's in place of Steph or on Miami in place of Butler. That team is winning a ship, most likely. The Lakers were just so bad, bad coaching, bad FO, old team and injury prone. Overall including defense Lebron probably is right around top 5. Not sure I would take Luka over him right now considering Lebron is probably a better defender than Luka at 27 lol.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will definitely be offered more than what the Lakers can offer him.

Again however, he and his agent have said that he wants to stay with the Lakers and will take less to do so. Given that he was one of the few bright spots last year, I would guess that the Lakers would like to have him back.

So, the question becomes...What is the most he will be offered by another team and how much more is it than the Lakers are able to offer?

Being willing to take less is great news for the Lakers...but that will depend on what he is offered.

It looks like NBA execs expect Monk to get $5-10 million this off-season. It looks like the Lakers can offer him $6.2 million with the TPMLE. If they do that on a 1 year deal, it gives them early Bird rights on him and they can give him $11 million in 2023.

So, my bet would be that if he gets offered the $10 million that NBA execs say is his ceiling or less and the Lakers are willing to give him the TPMLE...he will stay. If someone offers him more than $10 million...he gone.

Allegedly, Caruso money.

Even if Monk were to only get a contract in the range of the non-taxpayer mid-level exception, he would still be looking at a deal that could run up to four years starting at $10 million. When the Lakers lost Alex Caruso to the Bulls, for example, he signed a four-year deal using the midlevel exception, though it was not the full exception—Caruso got $37 million.

Monk could be in line for that kind of contract. The Lakers would not be able to match it.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allegedly, Caruso money.

Even if Monk were to only get a contract in the range of the non-taxpayer mid-level exception, he would still be looking at a deal that could run up to four years starting at $10 million. When the Lakers lost Alex Caruso to the Bulls, for example, he signed a four-year deal using the midlevel exception, though it was not the full exception—Caruso got $37 million.

Monk could be in line for that kind of contract. The Lakers would not be able to match it.

Yea

I appreciate Monk's confidence in his abilities but to take yet another short term deal to punt on a longer one would be crazy.

Monk figured he was joining a legit title contender. There is a big change from this year to last.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steph and Paul missed like 18 games.

Ja missed in the 20's.

Suns, Grizz, Dubs finished 1,2,3 out West.

He would have been better off using the Clippers as an example and that still wouldn't have been great seeing as they finished over .500.

But, they also missed the postseason.

So, it would have been closer.

@shopson67 still thinks Lebron's stats are proff that he can carry a team by himself.

He can't.

He's missed the playoffs as a Laker just as many times as he's made it.

He's still fantastic.

But, he's not enough with broken ass AD and that ragtag roster.

No shame in that.
Clips lost Kawhi the entire year and basically PG. Still finished the play-in.
The Cavs were derailed the entire season with injuries throughout their roster. Still finished the play-in.
Denver didn't have Murray or MPJ the entire year. Still finished 5th.

Injuries can definitely derail an entire season but especially for the Lakers since they are extremely dependent on 2 guys more than any roster in the NBA.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DJ, he's made 17 million in his career.

You honestly believe he would leave nearly 1/3 of that on the table out of " loyalty "?

A million, maaaaaaybe 2.

5?....no.

DJ, like some Laker fans seem to think the privilege of being a Laker is worth about 10 million a year:

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DJ, like some Laker fans seem to think the privilege of being a Laker is worth about 10 million a year:

The wild thing is there isn't real a track record for this either of late. It's not like LA just gets whatever FA they want.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allegedly, Caruso money.

And the Lakers may not have to match it.

Not sure why people are having trouble grasping the "he wants to stay and would take less to do so" statement that he and his agent have both made.

If he stays for 1 year at $6.2 million, then the Lakers sign him with early Bird rights for 4 years at $11 million per season in 2023...he ends up with $50.2 million over 5 years. So it would be the same money and 1 extra year.

It would require him having confidence that he can continue to play at the level he did last year and trusting that the Lakers would reward him. It would also require the Lakers believing that he will continue to play well enough that he will be worth using their TPMLE on.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The wild thing is there isn't real a track record for this either of late. It's not like LA just gets whatever FA they want.

Monk and his agent saying he wants to stay with the Lakers and wouldn take less isn't some made upnonsense from Lakers fans.

Considering that NBA execs are saying he's only looking at $5-10 million and the Lakers being ableto give him $6.2 million makes it a possibility.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, I mean they got Lebron which is a damn nice player but they got an old Lebron...still won a championship. Other than that, AD was acquired through trading their entire rebuild. Russ was through trade. Not much since the Kobe days but even then it was mainly through trade.

Shaq 96
Payton, Malone - 03
Artest - 09
Lebron -18

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not one player is as good as they are in their prime, even if Lebron's 37 looks like most players 27 or 28.

If Lebron was in the playoffs this year though everyone would probably be talking about how he is a top 3 player though even if he was a first round knockout. Imagine Lebron on the W's in place of Steph or on Miami in place of Butler. That team is winning a ship, most likely. The Lakers were just so bad, bad coaching, bad FO, old team and injury prone. Overall including defense Lebron probably is right around top 5. Not sure I would take Luka over him right now considering Lebron is probably a better defender than Luka at 27 lol.
Bad example with Steph, since they do look like favorites to win a chip, no LeBron needed. But yeah I may be fading LeBron a bit to make my point with the Lakers homer. He's still amazing.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Mecca if Dyson is gone at #14 who would you take if you were in the Cavs spot?

Debate between Cavs fans is Jeremy Sochan or Tari Eason.

Of course, there are other options like Malaki Branham and Ochai Agbaji. I think both those guys are a little undersized if the Cavs really do want a wing. Just a couple more 2-guards to add to the roster. I really want them to grab a versatile wing that can defend. Shot will likely be a work-in-progress.

For me I do like Agbaji, his athletism and size. He has the experience but I like Tari Eason with the #14 pick if Daniels isn't there.
I think we take BPA among guys who could be SGs or SFs if we keep the pick. who that is I have no idea as I didn't watch enough CBB other than OSU and the tourney.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The wild tjhing is that when you are re-signing your own superstar FA's, you don't have to sign other teams superstar FA's.

Adding to what Shane posted...Pau (traded for) re-signed. AD (traded for) has already re-signed and from everything that has been said so far, Lebron will re-sign after next year.

Sooooo, you may want to re-think that particular myth.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The wild tjhing is that when you are re-signing your own superstar FA's, you don't have to sign other teams superstar FA's.

Adding to what Shane posted...Pau (traded for) re-signed. AD (traded for) has already re-signed and from everything that has been said so far, Lebron will re-sign after next year.

How quickly we forget the LaMarcus Aldridge offseason.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 27,771.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allegedly, Caruso money.

Like TJ said....if he signed a 1 year deal for 6 million.....they could then offer him 11 million the season after.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How quickly we forget the LaMarcus Aldridge offseason.

lol

So that one off-season means the Lakers never get any FA's or manage to re-sign their own.

And you want to mock Lakers fans.

You're the opposite side of the same coin.