• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 NBA Offseason thread

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did I say that?

That seems to be the implication, that only the Lakers are being predicted to have injury issues. The currently active playoff teams are struggling to finish their current series' healthy.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said that. I merely said he and AD make the Lakers a playoff team if healthy. If in the playoffs, counting out a Lebron team is silly.
And I said those guys have proven they cannot stay healthy in a regular season set up. They won in 2020 after a huge break before the playoffs to get healthy. Still counts, but I'm sticking by saying the Lakers are not going to win any more titles with this team.

You should keep hoping though, you're a fan and I'm not being sarcastic you are supposed to do that. It's not impossible for them to win again next year, they aren't the Magic or the Knicks or whatever. But it ain't very likely.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That seems to be the implication, that only the Lakers are being predicted to have injury issues. The currently active playoff teams are struggling to finish their current series' healthy.
Again, not much point in convincing you the ancient LeBron and always broken AD aren't greater injury risks than other teams' 2 best players. As always, we'll see.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That tells me that they either really don't want Wall (which is good) and/or they are leaning towards just rolling with Westbrook to at least the trade deadline.

This is part of why they are asking all of the coaches they interview how they would use Westbrook.

The one thing that I will say in "sort of defense" of the Westbrook situation is that due to AD's and to a lesser extent, Lebron's injuries...they never really got a true chance to figure out a way to make it work.

And before some of the lesser lights on here say anything...I didn't say they could find a way to make it work...I said they didn't get a true chance to see if they could.

Looks like the best path forward is going to see if Westbrook can get back some trade value and get moved at the deadline. Or, ride out the season with him and let him walk.

As I posted before, imo, the best chance for that to happen is for Westbrook to embrace being the 6th man and let him do his thing leading the 2nd unit.

I don't expect him to have the insight to accept that a bench role is likely what's best for him.

I see it more as they will explore adding a pick if a desirable trade offer is being discussed. They're not going to go fishing with a pick right off the bat.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I said those guys have proven they cannot stay healthy in a regular season set up. They won in 2020 after a huge break before the playoffs to get healthy. Still counts, but I'm sticking by saying the Lakers are not going to win any more titles with this team.

You should keep hoping though, you're a fan and I'm not being sarcastic you are supposed to do that. It's not impossible for them to win again next year, they aren't the Magic or the Knicks or whatever. But it ain't very likely.

Almost every team in the last 5-7 years has been lucky. Starting with those spurs who got a banged up one legged ibaka on okc

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost every team in the last 5-7 years has been lucky. Starting with those spurs who got a banged up one legged ibaka on okc
Luck is a major factor in EVERY championship. Even 2017 where the Ws needed no luck whatsoever to win the games, they needed plenty to land KD. They needed it to draft Steph. Etc.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't be such a baby. Just because the world sees your team with different colored glasses than you do doesn't make them trolls.

Who's being a baby, lol? He's taking my statement to the extreme limits to troll. There's no way anyone legitimately thought I said that Lebron and a bunch of nobodies is a guaranteed playoff team.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injury risk only applies to the Lakers? Not Chris Paul, Steph Curry, Ja Morant, etc etc?
Those teams had injuries.

Hell, every player you named missed games.

All 3 still finished top of the West.

The Lakers finished 16 games under .500.

You are making his point for him.

Either of those 2 out, the Lakers are cooked.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did I say that?
Steph and Paul missed like 18 games.

Ja missed in the 20's.

Suns, Grizz, Dubs finished 1,2,3 out West.

He would have been better off using the Clippers as an example and that still wouldn't have been great seeing as they finished over .500.

But, they also missed the postseason.

So, it would have been closer.

@shopson67 still thinks Lebron's stats are proff that he can carry a team by himself.

He can't.

He's missed the playoffs as a Laker just as many times as he's made it.

He's still fantastic.

But, he's not enough with broken ass AD and that ragtag roster.

No shame in that.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if he doesn't want to and he and his agent have both said they are loyal after the only teams to offer a contract were the Lakers, Mavs and Knicks.

Yes I'm sure he will leave 3 to 5 million on the table.to do a short term deal with LA

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 27,771.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 27,771.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The advantage the Lakers do have, aside from their preexisting relationship with Monk, is his Non-Bird Rights. Should Monk re-sign with the Lakers this offseason at any figure, he would be eligible for Early Bird Rights if he became a free agent next offseason or Full Bird Rights if he became a free agent in 2024. With Early Bird Rights, the Lakers could pay Monk up to 105 percent of the non-taxpayer mid-level exception in 2023, and if he waits until 2024 to sign a long-term deal, the Lakers would be able to sign him for anything up to the max. In other words, the Lakers can't pay Monk what he is worth right now, but if he is patient, they will be able to do so down the line."

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is going to get more than that.

He will definitely be offered more than what the Lakers can offer him.

Again however, he and his agent have said that he wants to stay with the Lakers and will take less to do so. Given that he was one of the few bright spots last year, I would guess that the Lakers would like to have him back.

So, the question becomes...What is the most he will be offered by another team and how much more is it than the Lakers are able to offer?

Being willing to take less is great news for the Lakers...but that will depend on what he is offered.

It looks like NBA execs expect Monk to get $5-10 million this off-season. It looks like the Lakers can offer him $6.2 million with the TPMLE. If they do that on a 1 year deal, it gives them early Bird rights on him and they can give him $11 million in 2023.

So, my bet would be that if he gets offered the $10 million that NBA execs say is his ceiling or less and the Lakers are willing to give him the TPMLE...he will stay. If someone offers him more than $10 million...he gone.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 27,771.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will definitely be offered more than what the Lakers can offer him.

Again however, he and his agent have said that he wants to stay with the Lakers and will take less to do so. Given that he was one of the few bright spots last year, I would guess that the Lakers would like to have him back.

So, the question becomes...What is the most he will be offered by another team and how much more is it than the Lakers are able to offer?

Being willing to take less is great news for the Lakers...but that will depend on what he is offered.

It looks like NBA execs expect Monk to get $5-10 million this off-season. It looks like the Lakers can offer him $6.2 million with the TPMLE. If they do that on a 1 year deal, it gives them early Bird rights on him and they can give him $11 million in 2023.

So, my bet would be that if he gets offered the $10 million that NBA execs say is his ceiling or less and the Lakers are willing to give him the TPMLE...he will stay. If someone offers him more than $10 million...he gone.

Quoting my guy Rude!!!!

Fan Nation alum.