• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022-2023 NBA Season Thread

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Silly lines is saying a player didn't come to camp at all when he was there for 2 weeks

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Silly lines?

You said "he just didn't come at all"

The guy was there for 2 weeks. Yeah im drawing silly lines by stating facts that he was in camp for 2 weeks until marks sent him home
Didn’t come at all was me referencing him being MIA for the large part of that season. Congrats! Big semantics win for you.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doc raises some good points here. If anybody in the dynamic of players, coaches, and fans would be expected to respect this and notice this it would be the coaches.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or, just keep what you have.

You act as if the Nets have to trade him to the Lakers.

They don’t.

If they are not getting picks, why not actually get useful players?

I would rather have DFS and Dinwiddie over your Poo Poo platter.

I would rather have whatever the Suns are offering over Westbrook.

You aren’t getting it.

You don’t have leverage.

You aren’t the only interested party.

You have no players that are difference makers to offer.

All you can do is TRY TO outbid them with picks.

I really hope you keep this roster.

Because, you are the only team in the West that I am positive the Clippers can beat….lol

So, hold the line on those picks.

They'd almost certainly have to involve a 3rd team to have any chance at this trade happening, imo.

I'd expect that the Nets would have to look to buy Westbrook out and create cap space for the off season to have any chance at selling KD on it. Even that is unlikely to work. Especially with other interested teams able to easily beat any Lakers offer that doesn't involve both picks.

One thing that could help the Lakers is if other teams continue to be reluctant to agree to the longer term deal. That could drive the price down enough to make what the Lakers can offer more palatable for the Nets. Even then, it will almost certainly require both picks. They just might be able to add protections to one of them.

But, from what I have read, the Lakers are also reluctant to commit to what Kyrie wants (although they are the most likely to cave).

Last edited:

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Nets have been clear in their dealings with him that they don’t want to commit long term.

And I don’t blame them.

But they are 100% wrong to let him know that.

I am a teacher. There are definitely obnoxious students who I don’t like very much. But rule number 1 is you can’t ever let the kid think you don’t like them.

That is what the Nets have done. They have told their student they don’t like him.

He is childish, egotistical and narcissistic. Of course he will react poorly.

If he wants to talk contract now?

Nets position should be:

“We want you here long term. We can win with you and KD. But let’s focus on winning now, and talk details after the season”.
They probably did say that. And he replied no, make me an offer now.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Silly lines?

You said "he just didn't come at all"

The guy was there for 2 weeks. Yeah im drawing silly lines by stating facts that he was in camp for 2 weeks until marks sent him home
He forced the issue is the point. You're defending a piece of shit like he had any team integrity. Like he wanted to play but mean old Marks wouldn't let him.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol ok, and we know you are going to support the player, no matter how crazy. You don’t think Irving has been pushing the negotiations? I’m sure the Nets are fine letting him walk after the season. This is all about Irving wanting to have his cake and eat it too. I don’t blame him, but the Nets are right to exiect him to play out his contract, especially after all he has put them through.

I get your point re: Kyrie and I tend to agree.

The problem is that basketball is a sport where the addition of 1 player can drastically change a teams chances of winning. As currently constructed, the Lakers are, at best, a 2nd round exit and that's only if Lebron and AD are healthy and playing at All-Star levels and Westbrook doesn't fuck up too much.

An engaged and healthy Kyrie makes the Lakers serious contenders. He does the same for the other interested teams. That gives him leverage.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,921.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The wife's going to cook breakfast.

Strongly considering putting it in a tortilla and make a breakfast burrito.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is the issue with demanding a trade though? I actually respect players who do this in a contract you. They are informing you ahead of time im not signing back so instead of losing me for nothing in July, you can trade me now and get something.

Agree. What I don't like is when players go public with it. It can drive down the asking price. When trading a star, the team losing the star never gets equal value...but they can come closer if things are handled quietly without the added pressure of media and fans speculating.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,921.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'd almost certainly have to involve a 3rd team to have any chance at this trade happening, imo.

I'd expect that the Nets would have to look to buy Westbrook out and create cap space for the off season to have any chance at selling KD on it. Even that is unlikely to work. Especially with other interested teams able to easily beat any Lakers offer that doesn't involve both picks.

One thing that could help the Lakers is if other teams continue to be reluctant to agree to the longer term deal. That could drive the price down enough to make what the Lakers can offer more palatable for the Nets. Even then, it will almost certainly require both picks.

But, from what I have read, the Lakers are also reluctant to commit to what Kyrie wants (although they are the most likely to cave).
Irving could pull an AD. Tell other teams he only wants to go to the Lakers.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The clock is ticking on LeBron. Westbrook is a negative that the Lakers have to pay to get rid of, even as an expiring.

If the Nets would do this deal?

Lakers would have to be stupid not to include both. Gives them a legit shot to contend.

And if you lose him for nothing, you’re not a contender anymore anyway.

So you’re picking on playoff run as maybe the 4th best team, vs gettig the picks going for a star this summer and not ticking off KD too badly

Reactions: DJ

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. What I don't like is when players go public with it. It can drive down the asking price. When trading a star, the team losing the star never gets equal value...but they can come closer if things are handled quietly without the added pressure of media and fans speculating.
But that’s part of the game and the math the player does. The player is getting a new team. They don’t want their new team to give up useful pieces the new player wants to be around to help them win. The NBA system right now is cursed through unintended consequences that come from the imposition of the salary cap. It’s seen in tanking, it’s seen in players begging out with trades and the like. The cap has been in place long enough for people to fuck with it and play games to individual benefit.

It’s a microcosm for humanity. It seems like the element that abuses and games the system is always 2-3 steps ahead of the element whose job it is to protect the integrity of the system.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Irving could pull an AD. Tell other teams he only wants to go to the Lakers.

It's likely too late for that because he's already stated that he only wants to sign with a team that will sign him long term. AD stated from the beginning that he would only re-sign with the Lakers.

In fact, that tactic could actually cost him leverage because it would effectively negate his requirement to sign him long term.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,921.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's likely too late for that because he's already stated that he only wants to sign with a team that will sign him long term. AD stated from the beginning that he would only re-sign with the Lakers.

In fact, that tactic could actually cost him leverage because it would effectively negate his requirement to sign him long term.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Good point.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,921.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rozier wouldn't be a bad consolation prize.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if you lose him for nothing, you’re not a contender anymore anyway.

So you’re picking on playoff run as maybe the 4th best team, vs gettig the picks going for a star this summer and not ticking off KD too badly
Maybe I’m wrong but you’ve always impressed me as an optionality guy in assessing NBA front office moves. I’m not understanding where you’re coming from here because the greatest leverage here is that you know Kyrie won’t play on the cheap and he won’t just play for anybody. That makes the sign and trade this summer the more beneficial pathway to pursue than to knee jerk working on this inside of a week. That would have them in a position of weakness. I think the Nets can leverage him into playing for a playoff run AND get a solid deal if he’s out because Kyrie will need a sign and trade. The picks being talked about right now are picks that are 4-6 years off. They would have to have no protections on it for Now scenarios to be even worth entertaining.