• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022-2023 NBA Season Thread

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both have been the leading all-star vote-getter 9 times.

There were a lot of backlash years against Lebron, even in his prime. He was only the leader in all-star votes once in Miami, and only twice with the Cavs the first time around (and not until 2007). He has been #1 every year since 2017. Was behind Dwight twice, Garnett once, Kobe 3 times, Curry once.

Jordan was the top in all-star votes every year from 1987 to 1998 other than 94-96 (ineligible two of those years as he was out of the league). Barkley and Grant Hill topped the votes in his absence.

LeBron James leads NBA in all-star voting, ties Michael Jordan's record (nbcsports / 1/27/22)

Fans have voted him an all star starter 18 years of his career- half the time, including this year, with more votes than anyone else. LeBron ties Michael Jordan for most years leading the NBA is all star voting, nine.

That's more than twice as often as anyone else. Dr. J, Kobe & Vince Carter all led the league in all star votes four times.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Traveling and the euro step (which is 100% ignored) are missed a lot

There’s a natural palming of the ball that is ignored now thanks to the nba ignoring it.

And it wa a better because it valued centers. Literally all the rules are to change the way the game was designed to be played

This is like punishing guys for hitting too many home runs

And yet, centers have finished 1-2 in MVP voting the last 2 seasons.

Go figure.

Truth is, guard play was way undervalued before the advent of the 3 point line.

Hell, when I played many coaches (including mine) still believed the main function of guards was to get the ball up the court and feed the post.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The league has done everything it can to hurt defense over the past few decades. All in the name of viewership.
yeah they have but bring back the handcheck and then it will fix that no defense. The 3 pointer is a benefit it to the game, it does make it tougher to defend of course but it’s more so just the rules. You can’t lay a pinky. Bring back the handcheck or lighten up on some rules and the scoring will immediately go down quite a bit. Never going to happen…the only thing that coule happen is even more rules for defensive players to benefit offense.

Now a 4 pointer would ruin the game

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All star voting is about popularity and terrible criteria to use for determining the best player.

LeBron is great, but he is definitely not the best player in the league anymore. But he is leading the vote.

Hell, Yao won the vote at least once and got selected as a starter in a season he didn’t even play.

Just an example of overall perception by the fans.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That isn’t true either.

It is close enough to true

There’s even defensive 3 seconds

Real basketball doesn’t have that

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Go figure.

Hell, when I played many coaches (including mine) still believed the main function of guards was to get the ball up the court and feed the post.

That is the main function :)

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah they have but bring back the handcheck and then it will fix that no defense. The 3 pointer is a benefit it to the game, it does make it tougher to defend of course but it’s more so just the rules. You can’t lay a pinky. Bring back the handcheck or lighten up on some rules and the scoring will immediately go down quite a bit. Never going to happen…the only thing that coule happen is even more rules for defensive players to benefit offense.

Now a 4 pointer would ruin the game

At least keep the 3 pointer at it's current length, but make it always that length (no more corner 3 cheater shots).

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least keep the 3 pointer at it's current length, but make it always that length (no more corner 3 cheater shots).
What would they change corner 3 Russ’s name to? I mean he just got it.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Go figure.

The center that has won has done so by playing like a point guard though, so there's that.

Could your coach think that of guards because you were his guard? I kid...I kid lol. I don't have a problem with the 3 pointer, just the prioritization of the 3 pointer. If it's become an easy shot to make that the proper strategy, it needs to move back IMO.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Go figure.

Because the game is made for tall people

We don’t need bullshit rules just because smaller people have a disadvantage

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the game is made for tall people

We don’t need bullshit rules just because smaller people have a disadvantage

That isn’t what the 3 point line is.

It prioritizes skill over brute strength. That is a good thing. More about equal opportunity.

Embiid and Jokic have proven big men can still dominate.

If you are mad about the 3 point line than you are stuck in the stone ages.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1979-1980 was the first NBA season with the 3.

Teams have taken it too far though. Passing up on easy twos for a kick-out three is rarely a good decision. I like the 3 when guys who can actually make it are the ones taking it. Everyone's taking them these days, and far too often. I would argue it's time to move the line back, but the width of the court prevents that. The corner three is already too easy for that extra point.
I've said many times just eliminate the corner 3. Have the arc just keep going until it hits the sidelines, and not change direction to go parallel to them. That restricts 3s a bit without going so far as to eliminate them.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That isn’t what the 3 point line is.

It prioritizes skill over brute strength. That is a good thing. More about equal opportunity.

Embiid and Jokic have proven big men can still dominate.

If you are mad about the 3 point line than you are stuck in the stone ages.
That's kind of his brand, "everything was better in the 1950s"

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said many times just eliminate the corner 3. Have the arc just keep going until it hits the sidelines, and not change direction to go parallel to them. That restricts 3s a bit without going so far as to eliminate them.

And move the rest of the line back even further

There should be no 3s below the ft line extended at least

But it’s still a gimmick